Nurse that answered prank call about Kate Middleton found dead

I hope not. Apparently the prank call was not aired live and the station's attorneys went through it before it was aired to make sure no laws were broken. Here it would not have been allowed to air as FCC rules make prank phone calls a finable offense (Section 73.1206). Keep that in mind when listening to those crappy morning shows that pretend to do them.

Regardless, the DJs didn't make anyone kill themselves. It was a total overreaction on the nurse's part. A permanent solution to a temporary problem.

ETA: Did anyone listen to that call? Only an idiot would have thought that was the queen calling. A tiny bit of critical thinking would have nipped the whole thing in the bud.

So you heard the phone call from the telephone in the hospital so that the only way you can know what it actually sounded like, perhaps you should be the one using a little bit of critical thinking.

So you heard the phone call from the telephone in the hospital so that the only way you can know what it actually sounded like, perhaps you should be the one using a little bit of critical thinking.

Critical thinking 101: Would the queen of England be calling a hospital, through the switchboard, to speak with a nurse about her daughter-in-law? Sorry, it just doesn't pass the smell test and when you are dealing with medical or financial information you have to be careful. I'm the Information Systems Coordinator of a financial company and we stress this all the time and do training on it multiple times a year.

Look, she got duped. It isn't the end of the world and it happens far more often than it should but it isn't suicide worthy. That is if she did in fact kill herself over it. I'm not so sure yet. The whole thing is just weird on a few levels.

It is what it is though. It is a good warning for others to be careful what information you give out over the phone. I will be incorporating this into my next training for my staff and I'm sure others will as well.

Guys, come on. None of us knows what this woman's life was like, and what effects being caught in this 'prank' would have on her. What if she were suffering from depression, or had something very upsetting going on at home, and this was just the last thing that pushed her over the edge.

Anyone who's worked in medical facilities knows that there are often severe consequences for giving out private medical info to unauthorized people. I know of a number of situations where people were fired for it. Someone I know was fired and marched out the door by security for doing just that, because the company was afraid the (famous) patient would sue. Just because the hospital hadn't taken any action yet, doesn't mean she wasn't scared to death that she'd lose her job. Being mocked around the world didn't help her any, either, I'm sure.

If it stops these idiot shock jocks from pulling these kinds of stunts, maybe some good will come of it. I don't get the humor in trying to trick some poor nurse they've never even met into doing something that might cost her her job. That's funny? No, it's childish, nasty, and kinda sick.

I don't get the humor in trying to get the gory details on some poor young woman's condition, which probably consists of "she's barfing all over herself", and broadcasting it around the world. She deserves that humiliation, because she married into a rich family?

Sheesh.

Critical thinking 101: Would the queen of England be calling a hospital, through the switchboard, to speak with a nurse about her daughter-in-law? Sorry, it just doesn't pass the smell test and when you are dealing with medical or financial information you have to be careful. I'm the Information Systems Coordinator of a financial company and we stress this all the time and do training on it multiple times a year.

Look, she got duped. It isn't the end of the world and it happens far more often than it should but it isn't suicide worthy. That is if she did in fact kill herself over it. I'm not so sure yet. The whole thing is just weird on a few levels.

It is what it is though. It is a good warning for others to be careful what information you give out over the phone. I will be incorporating this into my next training for my staff and I'm sure others will as well.

The Duchess is not the Queen's daughter-in-law. Just sayin'.

It's possible the nurse had some emotional issues on top of this. It's possible she was receiving threats or harassing calls from people over this. It's possible she was murdered. It's possible her death was an accident. It's possible her death is COMPLETELY UNRELATED to the prank call and simply a really weird coincidence.

Lots of possibilities...some more likely than others. I guess we'll know more when the coroner report comes out. That said, if her death is related to the prank call, I hope the DJ's are fired. I think prank calls are truly idiotic, immature and in most cases not funny.

I hope not. Apparently the prank call was not aired live and the station's attorneys went through it before it was aired to make sure no laws were broken. Here it would not have been allowed to air as FCC rules make prank phone calls a finable offense (Section 73.1206). Keep that in mind when listening to those crappy morning shows that pretend to do them.

Regardless, the DJs didn't make anyone kill themselves. It was a total overreaction on the nurse's part. A permanent solution to a temporary problem.

ETA: Did anyone listen to that call? Only an idiot would have thought that was the queen calling. A tiny bit of critical thinking would have nipped the whole thing in the bud.

I might be mistaken--I did not go back and check--but weren't you one of the people saying you would fire the woman who posted a photo of herself on facebook flipping off the camera and talking on her cellphone by a sign saying to be respectful at Arlington National? That was someone being rude and insensitive and shedding a poor light on her company (all of which I think the prank calls are/did) but not doing anything illegal.
Your argument that "it wasn't illegal" seems sort of silly in light of your desire to fire others for things they do which are also not illegal and are even less work related (though it still was since she was on a work trip).

Tragic.

You can probably bet that she has been interviewed by the hospital senior officials, the royal's security staff more or less by everyone around as to why she put the call through. Taking into account it was I believe 5.30 am when she took the call she was coming towards the end of her night shift so probably not thinking and TBH I think it's one of those calls when you think it can't be the Queen but what if it is so dammed if you do and dammed if you don't, it's that split second decision you make and unfortunately in her case it turned out terrible.

I know when it happened I remember thinking I pity the poor person who put them through, you have the whole world laughing at you thinking what a **** I can't imagine the torment she must have been going through.

I might be mistaken--I did not go back and check--but weren't you one of the people saying you would fire the woman who posted a photo of herself on facebook flipping off the camera and talking on her cellphone by a sign saying to be respectful at Arlington National? That was someone being rude and insensitive and shedding a poor light on her company (all of which I think the prank calls are/did) but not doing anything illegal.
Your argument that "it wasn't illegal" seems sort of silly in light of your desire to fire others for things they do which are also not illegal and are even less work related (though it still was since she was on a work trip).

I don't necessarily want that person fired either but understand why they would be and wasn't upset about it. If I said she should I didn't mean it in an "I demand it" way, more of a "I see why she was" way. I didn't really think that picture was as big of a deal as it was made out to be but whatever.

Besides, that situation isn't the same as this. Had that woman sent the picture to her company's legal council and gotten approval before publishing it and was fired anyway then I would equate the two. While her boss took the picture he was apparently not in a position to grant her permission to publish it. If legal counsel advised the station they were legally able to air the clip and the bosses gave them approval I don't think they should be punished.

I also don't think their punishment should be because of the suicide as opposed to the prank which, at this point, it obviously would be. If they were being punished for the prank itself they would have been suspended and/or fired right when it happened. This woman, if she killed herself, made that choice and these DJs should not be punished, in my opinion, because someone else decided to kill themselves.

I had completely forgotten about that case too before you brought this up and the prank call, which I just heard a day or two ago, was barely still in my mind proving that these things blow over quickly enough. The public has the attention span of a gnat.

Was this the woman who gave the information, such as it was, or did she just transfer the call to the proper ward? Because from the reports I read it sounded as if she just transferred the call.

I just mean I don't think she actually gave out information of any kind.

As to how 'stupid' it was - didn't sound real but is it possible the Queen would call, herself? Sure, why not? She drives herself, shes been known to take the regular train to the country. Yes, obviously she has staff and you'd think they'd place calls for her. However, would I be shocked if early in the morning the Queen actually placed her own call? Not at all.

It's a tragic situation - for her that she felt she had no recourse, for her family and friends - and she obviously had issues that contributed to this, whether it be a lack of coping skills or some underlying issue like depression. Doesn't make it less tragic that something this dumb tipped her over into that action.

I don't necessarily want that person fired either but understand why they would be and wasn't upset about it. If I said she should I didn't mean it in an "I demand it" way, more of a "I see why she was" way. I didn't really think that picture was as big of a deal as it was made out to be but whatever.

Besides, that situation isn't the same as this. Had that woman sent the picture to her company's legal council and gotten approval before publishing it and was fired anyway then I would equate the two. While her boss took the picture he was apparently not in a position to grant her permission to publish it. If legal counsel advised the station they were legally able to air the clip and the bosses gave them approval I don't think they should be punished.

I also don't think their punishment should be because of the suicide as opposed to the prank which, at this point, it obviously would be. If they were being punished for the prank itself they would have been suspended and/or fired right when it happened. This woman, if she killed herself, made that choice and these DJs should not be punished, in my opinion, because someone else decided to kill themselves.

I had completely forgotten about that case too before you brought this up and the prank call, which I just heard a day or two ago, was barely still in my mind proving that these things blow over quickly enough. The public has the attention span of a gnat.

I guess you deem yourself above the "public" :rolleyes:.

Wow, this thing has really grown legs. I'm so sorry for the nurse, so sorry. That said, do you really think that if you had made a mistake like this, you'd become suicidal? Hard for me to go there. I actually made a couple mistakes that connected to a US President. I lost some sleep but since I knew no one was hurt, I got over it. I was briefly suicidal last winter due to a near death illness, lots of narcotics and basically bad mental health and confusion caused by having two long surgeries and being in renal failure. I was so drugged, I thought I was on a cruise ship for a week in the ICU. Seriously. My suicidal inclination only lasted one night and when I snapped out of it, I demanded mental health services and didn't stop asking until I had seen several counsellors who assured me I was past it. Looking back, I was definitely delusional and I'm pretty sure that committing suicide requires that type of delusion.

Totally agree.

(there are probably worse things than being on a cruise ship for a week instead of the ICU, amirite?! :rotfl:)

Hindsight is 20/20. You really have no idea what you would have done in the situation.

Calling a dead person an idiot-wow, just wow!

Disagree. I know I wouldn't have taken my own life over this (if that's what it is/what happened).

=

If it stops these idiot shock jocks from pulling these kinds of stunts, maybe some good will come of it. I don't get the humor in trying to trick some poor nurse they've never even met into doing something that might cost her her job. That's funny? No, it's childish, nasty, and kinda sick.

Sheesh.

100% agree on that. I didn't think it was funny when I listened to it the first time. And I certainly don't know why someone thought it would be in the first place.

I guess you deem yourself above the "public" :rolleyes:.

What gave you that idea? I said right in the post you quoted that I had forgotten about the one case and barely remembered the other. Even with this latest development I will probably forget about it by the end of the year. I don't care about these kinds of stories beyond a passing comment or two. I care about actual news, not newsrtainment.

I agree that the original call wasn't funny. I did find it funny (not in a laugh but more of an odd way) that anyone would fall for it but I don't find prank calls funny in the least, at least not since I was a teen and the Jerky Boys were popular.

Saldanha was not the nurse who divulged the info to the DJ's, but rather the one who put the call through to the one who did.

That is what I heard but wasn't sure. It makes even less sense that she would kill herself over this if it was a suicide. Most of the ridicule I've heard has been directed at the second nurse. She was still duped but not nearly as badly as the second nurse.

This is just odd all the way around.

Was this the woman who gave the information, such as it was, or did she just transfer the call to the proper ward? Because from the reports I read it sounded as if she just transferred the call.

I just mean I don't think she actually gave out information of any kind.

As to how 'stupid' it was - didn't sound real but is it possible the Queen would call, herself? Sure, why not? She drives herself, shes been known to take the regular train to the country. Yes, obviously she has staff and you'd think they'd place calls for her. However, would I be shocked if early in the morning the Queen actually placed her own call? Not at all.

It's a tragic situation - for her that she felt she had no recourse, for her family and friends - and she obviously had issues that contributed to this, whether it be a lack of coping skills or some underlying issue like depression. Doesn't make it less tragic that something this dumb tipped her over into that action.

She is the receptionist that transferred the call.

What a tragic situation. :(

Disagree. I know I wouldn't have taken my own life over this (if that's what it is/what happened).

I meant this in the context of he would not have known how he reacted to the phone call.

However, I do think it is hard to tell what we do in any given situation...that whole until you walk a mile in my shoes kind of thing....

Call me a skeptic but I find it hard to believe that someone would take their life over being the victim of a prank call. There has to be more to this story.

Radio station jockeys play pranks all the time. Stations like CNN get pranks played on them all the time. I think these pranks are silly, but they are not suicide worthy.

Personally, I do not agree with firing the DJ's. They pretended to be the Queen of England and someone fell for it. That is an offense worthy of being fired? I've heard DJ's call hotel rooms to get actors, call other places with different acts. If this poor woman hadn't passed, would it be such a big deal?

We don't even know if this was suicide yet and we certainly don't know the reason. Anytime someone takes their life its tragic.

I can only hope you display more empathy when dealing with your staff

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter