Numbered Cube? Seriously??

Just an FYI - although dice are referred to as number generators along with many other kinds of number generators, in my experience the term "number cube" is used for cubes with actual numbers written on them rather than as a substitute for the "dice."

Depending on the game you are using them for, a six sided cube might have each of the numbers 1 - 3 twice, or it might have the numbers 3 - 9. It simply enables you to have more options than only using dice to play games. Typical math tool kids have tons of different kinds of number generators. Dice, number cubes, cards, spinners, etc.

Maybe some of you live in areas that are anti-gambling and it really is a big stink, but my opinion is people are probably making a big argument out of something that is simply a misunderstanding about the math games their kids are playing. People just love to jump on the "schools are evil" bandwagon.

One parent may be saying "how dare they force them to call dice number generators!" Another parent may be saying "they're teaching our kids to gamble!" And yet another parent might say "they were just playing a math game and a bully told my child that he was going to DIE!"

I am SO sick of political correctness trying to destroy our children. I would encourage my kid to say "dice" if their school was doing this. They have a problem with it? Let them talk to me. :furious:

I am SO sick of political correctness trying to destroy our children. I would encourage my kid to say "dice" if their school was doing this. They have a problem with it? Let them talk to me. :furious:

Really? So, if somehow your child made it to adulthood never having encountered a die outside of school, and thus only knew the term "number cube", they'd be destroyed? Your kid is really that fragile?

No one here is talking about children not being able to use the words die or dice. They are talking about a teacher using other words as part of instruction. Some people are speculating that it might be due to feelings about gambling, but no one has provided evidence that that's true and the educators posting here have given other reasons.

There are lots of times when I use one word in the classroom, and yet kids use other words. I might cue them to try out the word I'm using, but I'd never have a "problem" with using another word.

Schmeck said:
It would be called a die. They would be called dice.

I know. I just always think about them as more then one. I don't like the word die just like I don't like fishes and peoples even though they are grammatically correct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter