Nudity and Stabbings and Hypothermia, Oh my! First DCL Cruise (Fantasy, 9.5.15) ** Slide Show 2/8

BlueEyes78

Mouseketeer
We've been home from our first DCL adventure (yes, there will be more despite the title), and I'm hoping to get some of our memories documented before it gets too far away! I didn't really take good notes this time so I'll do my best to get the highlights of each day!

Quick introduction (for more detailed ones you can see my previous Disney World trip reports):

We are a family of five who lives in the Cincinnati suburbs. The hubs (Shawn) and I (Rebecca) are both 37 and work at a local University doing nerdy data things (he is a senior programmer; I am a project manager). When we get time to ourselves, we enjoy eating out. I am an avid reader and I also enjoy walking to keep in shape. We love beach vacations with very little scheduled or planned where relaxation is the primary goal. Normally we rent a condo in Florida, but I have to admit I loved the idea of cruising where we could get some of the best of Disney (without all the scheduling and Fast Passing) like the characters and the service, and do as much or little as we wanted. The big draw for me was no messes to clean, no dishes to wash, and the occasional child-free dinner. I work part-time and am a stay at home mom most days, so those features were critical for me!

We have three kids - our oldest Caden (10) is our little nerd jr. He is extremely bright and loves to read, play Minecraft and build with Legos. When we do make him go outside, he enjoys running quite a bit. He is also our foodie - he will try anything and loves most of it. Unfortunately, he has a severe peanut allergy so that can make being an adventurous eater a little TOO adventurous!

Connor (7) our middle child, is our sweet and sensitive but "spacey" kid. He would live in an imaginary world in his head filled with talking animals and dragons 24/7 but unfortunately we do occasionally make him do other things like go to school and clean his room. He also enjoys Legos, Minecraft, and reading. His favorite physical activity is swimming.

And last, but certainly not least, is the spitfire, Megan, who turned four two days before we set sail. Megan is a giant personality inside a tiny body who THINKS she is in charge of the family. She is very active, loves Disney princesses and dress up, and does pretty much anything she sets her mind to. She adores her "bubbas" but makes sure they know who the true leader of the pack is (at least in her mind).

TRPic1.PNG

We have done three Disney vacations, our last one being when she was an infant, and do plan to do more in the future. But this year we were going to celebrate our 15th anniversary in August and wanted to do something really awesome to mark the occasion.

(Here are our first three trips):
TrPic2.PNG TRPic3.PNG TRPic4.PNG

We have talked for years about “someday” doing a DCL vacation, but were waiting until all our kids were potty-trained and old enough to remember it (mostly), and use the Kids’ clubs onboard. Just before our vacation last summer we realized that we were finally at that point and we could start making this dream a reality. And how perfect was it that it was our 15th anniversary in August (the month we normally vacation).

We started looking into pricing, and unfortunately the August prices seemed a little ridiculous to us. But September was $4000 cheaper! OK, yes, we’re pulling the kids out of school!

CHAPTER 1: THE PLANNING

We chose Labor Day week to minimize the school days missed, and booked a Category 4B Oceanview Family Suite with a Verandah. We had cruised twice pre-children with Carnival in a tiny little room with a porthole and decided with five of us, we should splurge and get some space. We booked with Disney and the fabulous travel agent we used recommended Cabin 7600, which is one of the 4Bs with the extra bed (obviously a must for us unless one of the kids was on the floor), plus it was in a great location. Having never cruised Disney, we just took her word for it.

We chose our itinerary based solely on our schedule – Labor Day week was the western Caribbean, and though I enjoyed the Eastern more of our two Carnival cruises, western it was! On the other hand, I could restock my Mexican vanilla which ran out years ago!

We had it booked 13 months in advance and didn’t want to tell the kids that far out (I don’t have to explain that one to any parents out there). So we decided a Christmas reveal would be fun. In retrospect even that might have been a bit too far from our departure date. We had the “Goofy” call scheduled where he told the kids they’d be going on the Fantasy and they assumed he meant TODAY. So it was a bit of a let-down to tell them it would be in nine months! To make it a little more “real” and to keep the kids from taking this sort of trip for granted, we assigned points to a chore list for the boys. Each week they accumulated points with a goal of 2,000 to “pay off” their airline tickets. Anything they earned above that would convert to cash they could spend on souvenirs.

Our next item on the to-do list was to book our flights. We had points saved up enough to buy 3 on our travel rewards credit card by January, and a colleague that used to be a flight attendant pointed out we may not want to wait to have all 5 because we were flying on Labor Day weekend. So we booked our flights and then slowly paid ourselves back with the Travel Rewards cash instead. Our Disney agent said flying in on Saturday should be no problem as long as we got the first flight out of Cincy. The plus to this is that we wouldn’t even have to pick up our own luggage – just disembark, and hop on the Magical Express and then on to Port Canaveral where our bags would “magically” appear outside our room. The one negative was that flights home the following Saturday were astronomically priced for some reason, and out of the range of our travel rewards. But if we flew home Sunday they were half the cost. Even including the cost of a night at the Orlando airport hotel. This was not ideal, but to use the rewards we had to do that.

In the spring we decided to be safe we should renew our passports and get them for the kids. WOW is that expensive! We saved some money by taking the pictures ourselves and attaching them to the applications.

After that we didn’t do much more in the way of planning until late July. We would write down questions as they came up, and bug a Disney agent every now and then. We researched the ports and figured out what dining rotation we’d want (ERAERRA with dinner at Palo on Tuesday). We decided to stay on the boat at Grand Cayman (a lot of folks assured us that they never visit the ports and instead enjoy the lighter crowds on the ship on port days), to just get off at Cozumel for lunch and vanilla, and do a tour on Jamaica. I saw a lot of neat reviews about the Blue Hole, and after a lot of review-reading on private guides (since most of the DCL tours were VERY expensive and had age restrictions), chose to go with Marvyn’s Paradise tours. We’d get a private driver, and we asked to visit the Blue Hole and do lunch at Scotchie’s. Marvyn was responsive and dealt quickly with all our questions.

We also made a “100 days till the cruise” chain in late May and hung it over our fireplace. This was to help deal with the incessant questioning from our toddler about how many days were left. She would say, “How many days till the Disney boat?” When we said “A LOT of days,” she would respond, “Ten?” All she could do when she saw the chain was shake her head and say, “That is a LOT more than ten.”One night while Shawn was adjusting it, it fell down off its hooks and she nearly lost her mind. “It’s gone!! That means we go on the Disney boat tomorrow!!!”

August was rough on all of us because it’s our normal vacation time, and it seemed like everyone was at the beach. And then it was time to get ready to start school, which just felt super weird with our vacation just 3 weeks away finally. During those last few weeks we made a list of things we needed to pack, and from that, what we needed to buy. We got a couple of new carry-on suitcases since we only have two and one of them is pretty beat up. Our goal was to check just one huge bag and have all five of us take a carry-on. We borrowed a pirate costume for Megan and bought two matching ones for the boys online (I was assured that I could hack something together but I am not crafty AT ALL so I went the easy route). Shawn and I each purchased black pirate T-shirts. The items we bought special for the trip were a pop-up hamper (which I loved) and a hanging closet organizer (which we never used – more on that later). We also bought filtered water bottles but we probably could have gotten away without those. As it turns out, the water on the boat tastes just fine, and that is from a very “picky about our water taste” family. We are water snobs and it tasted just like home to us. AND because jelly-fish LOVE me but I wanted to enjoy Castaway Cay with my kids, we also got one bottle of SafeSea sunscreen which supposedly protects you from jellyfish and sea lice stings. The kids had water shoes but Shawn and I did not so we got those. At the last minute, Shawn decided to rent a really nice point-and-shoot camera for the week instead of taking his nice Canon with all the interchangeable lenses. This was a great decision. It took really good pictures and was less of a hassle. He also purchased a ten-picture package from Disney in advance.

Meanwhile I was on the boards, researching, and got a little nervous about our decision to fly in the day of. We both knew chances were, everything would be fine, but all it takes are a couple of horror stories to make you second guess yourself. One night after work I went to check the time of our tickets again to make sure we’d have enough time to get to the port, and found that Delta had moved our flight about 50 minutes later. Putting us in Orlando around noon instead of 11. That made me even more nervous, and made up our minds for us. On top of that, school had just started and we had recently been reminded that our schools were off on Friday the 4th (something we did not know when we originally booked). We called Delta, pessimistically because in the past we have not had good luck moving flights. But luck was on our side and the very nice person who answered understood our concerns, and put us on the first flight out on Friday. That same night we found an incredible deal for Port Orleans Riverside, and booked a room there. We had only stayed on property once, on our first trip, and it was the campground. So this gave us something else to look forward to! Plus we still got to skip the whole luggage carousel rigmarole and get straight onto the bus. Even better – I was sure I could finagle a trip to Fuddruckers out of this now! It is a running joke in my family that I can’t go to Orlando without a Fuddruckers burger. All the Fuddruckers in the Midwest have gone out of business and I miss them so much! Those buttery buns are like crack to me.

The weekend before the trip we started packing things as we were able. We were excited to be able to pack for a vacation for the first time and NOT be taking a stroller, pack n play, and car seats. Despite the fact that we did end up filling all our bags to the brim, we felt we were packing light. We packed about 5 pairs of shorts/Tshirts/underwear each (obviously we planned on doing laundry at least once). We had a formal night and semi-formal night outfit for everyone (and dress shoes), and two swim suits each, and one pair of pajamas each (half the time my boys end up sleeping in their undies anyway). We also packed light-weight sweaters for me and Megan in case the ship was chilly. We packed all our prescription meds and emergency meds like ibuprofen and decongestant in our carryon. It was obnoxious to put all the kids’ liquid medicines in clear, labeled 5 oz bottles, but we wanted it in our carry on just in case. I got conflicting reports on whether or not we’d need shampoo/conditioner but I took a risk and did not pack it. That turned out to be fine as it was restocked daily. We packed the kids’ goggles and snorkels and water shoes. We loaded books onto the boys’ kindles, but I did take a few traditional books in my carry-on. Finally, we printed all our documents (including copies of our passports), pulled out some cash and divided it into envelopes for each day depending on what we’d be doing. We also took a digital clock for the kids’ side of the room but never used it. The other thing we took were a couple of small card games, but we never played those either. I really wanted to take a white noise machine to make sure they slept well (and drown out Shawn’s snores since we’d all be in the same room), but Shawn talked me into using a white-noise app on my phone and that worked just as well! The one thing I WISH we had packed was an air freshener. After all, five people were sharing one bathroom and honestly I thought as the week wore on, even right after our bathroom had been cleaned it had an odd kind of sewage-like odor. It wasn’t overwhelming but I wonder if that happens as the plumbing is used more and more as the week wears on. I don’t know where all the “stuff” goes on a boat, so maybe my theory is completely wrong, but at any rate, I wish I’d brought that.

Thursday was a LOOONG day. About two hours into my workday, I got a call from the school nurse. My heart dropped. Apparently my oldest was sent to the nurse because his eye was incredibly red. That happens to him a lot due to his allergies. But the nurse saw bumps on the eyelid indicating pink eye. This is when you think to yourself “Universe, you have GOT to be kidding!” Shawn and I had driven to work separately since he was taking a half-day to do some last minute errands, clean, and mow the lawn, so he left immediately to take Caden to an outpatient clinic. Yep, it was pink eye. He got antibiotic drops and she assured us he’d look fine in 24 hours. We called our amazing pediatrician and got a SECOND prescription in case any of the other kids came down with it on the cruise.

Needless to say, the mowing and cleaning didn’t get done. I got home around six and started working on the house (I HATE coming home to a dirty house – did I mention I’m a clutter-phobe?). Then I saw that Connor had somehow completely SHREDDED on of his shoelaces (of course he has no idea how) so I had to run out and buy new shoelaces and relace them. Shawn had to go to a meeting at one of the boys’ schools. So we didn’t get to really start on all the FINAL packing till around 7, plus we still had to get the kids in bed! We had another item added to our to-do list when we went through the boys’ backpacks and saw what homework they needed to do for the week – it was a LOT of text books and we had not counted on packing those. Shawn used an app on his phone to take pictures of the pages they needed to read, and scanned them to pdfs they could use on their kindles. Sometimes being a nerd really does come in handy. :-)

There is definitely a downside to vacationing during the school year. By around midnight, it was finally done and loaded into our van. Each of us had a carry-on and a backpack (one quart-sized ziplock bag full of liquid medicines in each backpack), and our “checked’ bag weighed in at 47 pounds on the bathroom scale. We finally fell into bed, exhausted, around 12:30, double and triple checking that the alarm was set for 6:30 the next morning. Let the adventure begin!!

Thanks for reading, Amy! I'll try to do it justice. I saw another report from that week farther down - she had the same rotation as us and her cabin was VERY near ours so I'm guessing we crossed paths several times!

Excited to read your report! I love your comments about Fuddruckers, I live in Minnesota and there is still 1 about 40 minutes away, sadly we drive there a lot for burgers, they're the best!!

CHAPTER 2: T-1 Day (Travel Day) - PART 1

We had planned to let the kids sleep till the last minute. Of course, it being the day they had eagerly anticipated for nine months, all three of them (even the late sleeper) were up before 7. We didn’t have a lot to do as we planned to breakfast at the airport and we had the boys sleep in their clothes the night before. Everyone got dressed, brushed their teeth, and we prepped the house for departure. I’m going to do a shameless plug now for my favorite GPS app – Waze. If you don’t have it, get it! It’s free! Based on reports from people on the roads, it will give you not just the shortest or most direct route to anywhere but the fastest based on real-time conditions. As I pulled Waze up to figure out how to best get to the airport, it occurred to me that it was rush hour. MOST people were still headed to work and school today. Duh!

Luckily the best route between our house and CVG is not a heavy commuter route, so there were no delays. By 7:30 we were on the road, kicking it to some Beach Boys!

As I mentioned before, our primary goal for this entire trip was the minimization of stress. Given that, Shawn had forked out some extra cash to get reserved parking at the airport. When we flew to Disney two years ago we did a parking deal at a nearby hotel that shuttled us to the terminal. Cheap yes – convenient when hauling 8 pieces of luggage AND a stroller and two cars seats – not so much. So even though we only had luggage this time, we decided to splurge and park right across the bridge from the terminal.

We locked up and headed in. CVG is really a beautiful building, but it was fun to feel the excitement through my kids’ eyes. They’ve only flown out of it twice, and had no memory of it. As we walked in, Caden broke into the biggest grin and said, “OK, OK. I am totally at a loss for words!” I couldn’t help but smile myself – if the airport thrilled him, how much cooler would embarking on the ship be??

For some reason – probably because we had changed our original flight – we could not do the online or self-kiosk check in, and had to wait at the main counter. It was less than ten minutes. After that it was on to security. They had dogs there for the first time that I have experienced, and after the dogs sniffed our luggage over, they told us we could go to the pre-screened line, which meant we didn’t have to take anything out of our bags, take off our shoes, or go through the scanner, just the regular metal detector. All that arrangement of the liquids and we didn’t even have to get them out! Not that I’m complaining!

Security was a quick five minutes, and then we hopped onto the little subway to get to our terminal (the kids LOVE this, so we always take it even though we could walk).

IMG_7142.JPG IMG_7145.JPG

At the terminal we grabbed breakfast and took it to the gate, with about 30 minutes till boarding time. Thus far everything was smooth as pie! I waited until about ten minutes to boarding time and then took Megs for one last potty break. We were on board and settled by 9:50, and took off right on time! It was a beautiful day for flying.

IMG_7147.JPG IMG_7152.JPG IMG_7149.JPG

We had the boys work on some homework, trying to get as much done as we could before getting on the ship. It was a nice smooth flight, just the way I like it, though Connor was very disappointed. He likes turbulence and when it gets “exciting.” Before we landed, Shawn got out the magic bands we’d been sent for our stay at Port Orleans and we got them on. We captured this shot right as we started to descend into Orlando.

IMG_7154.JPG

We were on the ground by 11:53, a few minutes early. It was pretty rainy in Orlando, but I know the weather there this time of year is full of pop-up storms. We hopped on the monorail and followed the signs to Ground Transportation. It was our first time on the Magical Express!

It was so exciting see the cast members waiting for us. Megan marched up (at the head of the line of course) and the CM asked if she was in charge of the group. Of course she said yes, and got to scan her magic band for the family to board. We were directed to the correct bus for our resort and within minutes we were underway.

IMG_7158.JPG

The bus was very comfortable and the rain started to clear up as we got closer to the resort. The video playing information about the parks was OK but not as relevant to us since we weren’t going. I would have liked more cartoons to keep them entertained! It was about a 45 minute ride to Disney, and even though we weren’t going to the parks, it is thrilling to pass through the gates!

Our bus stopped at 3 resorts before ours, so I got to see Saratoga Springs, Key West, and Port Orleans (French Quarter) before our stop. What beautiful properties! Disney just does an outstanding job on their accommodations.

When we pulled up at Riverside, I was surprised to see all the games and entertainment at the bus stop out front, including corn hole (which I thought was a total Cincinnati thing) and hula hoops of varying sizes for the kids. Megan thought we could just hang out at the stop all day!

We headed into the lobby and I parked myself and the kids in a nice spacious window seat while Shawn went to check on the status of our room. It was about 1:30 and check-in time wasn’t until 4. The kids were starting to get restless and hungry. Megan had been asking all day when she could swim, and we told her when we got to our hotel. But at this point we were willing to put that off until we’d had some food. We didn’t really have any concrete plans other than trying to get to Fuddruckers, and I figured it would be easier to do that now, rather than let them swim, find a place to change them while we were roomless, and go later. So Shawn was going to ask how to get to Fuddruckers also.

The boys were reading on their kindles and I was texting my mom about the trip thus far. Megan asked if she could get her magnetic dress-up Frozen book out of her backpack. I said, “sure” and returned to my phone. About a minute later, Shawn came jogging over and cried, “Why is she NAKED??”

I thought he was messing with me, and looked to my right to see her in her birthday suit, bent over digging through her backpack with her tooshy pointed directly at the giant window we were sitting in. It actually took my brain a few seconds to comprehend what I was seeing before I could jump into action and grab her clothes. Apparently, when she opened her bag to get her book out, she saw her swim suit and decided that now would be the PERFECT time to get changed for swimming!

Luckily she is young enough that it was still pretty funny, but I was thinking – great, we’ve been at Disney for five minutes and we are the family other families will be laughing about long after they get home! Yes, we are the family with the naked kid now. Sigh!

The scene of the crime (nice and public, a huge open lobby behind us):
TR1.PNG

TO BE CONTINUED....

Excited to read your report! I love your comments about Fuddruckers, I live in Minnesota and there is still 1 about 40 minutes away, sadly we drive there a lot for burgers, they're the best!!

I would totally drive 40 minutes for a Fuddruckers burger!! : )

Travel Day: Part 2 (Port Orleans)

Shawn and I worked quickly to throw on the closest, least complicated set of clothes and that was her swim suit. Since we had decided to go to lunch, we put her shorts over it. We dropped our luggage at the bell desk, and went to wait for the ferry to Downtown Disney. We have only been to DD once, two trips ago, and it was kind of a nightmare as we had a very tired 3-year old Connor with us and he had a huge meltdown. I didn’t even know you could get there by ferry, and I was hoping that would make for an entertaining journey for the kids. Our plan was to go to DD and catch a cab for the remaining mile or so to Fuddruckers.

It didn’t go smashingly at first. The boat ride was great. It was very peaceful and pleasant and only about 10-15 minutes to Downtown Disney. Everyone is happy so far.

TR2.PNG TR3.PNG

We disembarked and wandered around (found a fun sidewalk fountain which helped cool off Megan), and asked a CM for directions to a cab once we arrived and it was pretty vague. Apparently we had to walk a bit more than we thought, and it was VERY hot following that storm. The kids were hot. And hungry. Honestly the boys were doing OK, just lagging a bit. Megan was approaching UNPLEASANT to say the least and Shawn ended up carrying her. We walked to a hotel across the street, and called for a cab from the lobby. One arrived less than five minutes later, and $8 after that we were deposited at the front door of Fuddruckers. Victory is MINE!!

Oooh, I get hungry just looking at these pictures. Totally worth wandering around DD for awhile in the heat! Take note, Connor has the KIDDIE BURGER! Caden has the smallest adult-sized one. Megan got chicken fingers and thus is not pictured. Boo on her!
TR4.PNG TR5.PNG TR6.PNG

We called the cab to retrieve us after our meal, as it was starting to thunder and lightning and the idea of the ferry was less appealing. It cost us about $12 to get back. In my mind, $20 is well worth it for a spectacular burger!

When we got dropped off back at Port Orleans, it was full-on storming. This did not make a certain little girl in her swim suit (who had been up since 6:30) very happy. There was very little to do about it as the pools were closed due to weather. Luckily our room was ready! We were in building 18, just a short (and beautiful) walk past the food court along the “bayou.” We got to the room and were able to scan our magic bands to get in (those things are super cool). Our luggage was sent along soon after, and we spent the next two hours lounging in bed watching a Phineas and Ferb marathon.

The room was decorated nicely, but not much bigger than a typical hotel-room. There was a pull-out bed just under the TV that I had assumed Megan would use, but when they brought the bed rails they explained that the pull-out didn’t have enough mattress to support them. So I put the ten-year old (the one least likely to roll onto the floor) in that bed and the two little ones shared the second queen with the bed rails.

Here is the pull-out (first closed, then open). Very cute!
TR9.PNG TR10.PNG
The bathroom had just a toilet and tub, with the sink outside that room, but that whole area could be curtained off for privacy, that was a nice feature. When we arrived there was a letter waiting for us, telling us they would be by to pick up our luggage at 8 a.m., and that we needed to meet with a CM that would prep us for the bus around 11:30 the next morning. YEAAAA!

Around 6 the storm had slowed to a drizzle and I walked over to the pool to check it out – looks like it was just reopening. It was a little later to start swimming than we would have liked but we had been showing the kids the pictures of the pool for a month and after all, it’s a vacation so we just went with it!

The pool is really very neat. It’s got cool fountains in it and a small water slide. The best part of the slide is the traffic light at the top so you know when it’s safe to go. There was also a friendly but no-nonsense lifeguard there keeping the kids in line. I LOVED her. Within 20 minutes of us getting there, she knew all the kids names and when she had to call out a direction to one of them, she’d address them as “Princess” or “Prince” so-and-so. That really got their attention! I had never told her their names so she was just listening. Very impressive.

TR7.PNG TR8.PNG

We swam and horsed around with the kids for about 90 minutes. Then Shawn headed back with Megan to get her bathed and ready for bed. Around 8, after some time in the hot tub, I followed with the boys. While the three of us got changed, Shawn walked down to the food court for some snacks. We were still REALLY full from our late, heavy lunch. He picked up some fruit cups and pretzels and hummus and Nilla wafers and we polished those off before lights-out around 9. A lot earlier than us grown-ups are used to, but it had been a LONG day. With an exciting one to follow!

I love the start of your trip report! And I guess the first thing in your title is explained now! What a funny story! I guess she will love hearing that when she is a teenager!!

I am all excited for all of you to get on that ship now!

I love the start of your trip report! And I guess the first thing in your title is explained now! What a funny story! I guess she will love hearing that when she is a teenager!!

I am all excited for all of you to get on that ship now!

Thanks for joining! I am having fun reliving it all!

Hehe :rotfl: 'nudity' :rotfl: That was such a cute story...I didn't even see the 'nudity' coming! Aww, your DD was ready to swim! Loving the TR so far!

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for more popcorn::

I have to agree this is really a terrific trip report and the nudity just shows me how excited she was to be there.

Thanks for sharing! I really enjoy your report and am excited to hear more.

Hehe :rotfl: 'nudity' :rotfl: That was such a cute story...I didn't even see the 'nudity' coming! Aww, your DD was ready to swim! Loving the TR so far!

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for more popcorn::

Ha! I sure didn't see it coming either! It's not something she does on a regular basis!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter