• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nudity and Stabbings and Hypothermia, Oh my! First DCL Cruise (Fantasy, 9.5.15) ** Slide Show 2/8

Did you get an invitation on board for this? I've seen pictures of the official invite that comes to the cabin, but those are older. I'm curious if I should make one for her or if one is provided.
Yes, I forgot to mention that on the day of any reservations we received a little embossed invitation, so Megan got one for Bibbity Bobbity and we got one for our Palo night also.

I don't see any mention of the clubs. Did your boys do the Clubs at all? Was there anything they particularly liked? My DS8 will be with us (for an 'only child cruise.) It will be strange for all of us not to have his teen brothers along. The oldest is Great to take youngest exploring, etc when I need a moment, but they can't miss school. I already know that DS8 will not be the kind to LOVE the clubs and want to stay all day and night but I would like him to go a couple hours a day so I can spend some time at Adult pool and spa. From the Navigators, I am hoping Sloppy Science and the like will entice him. He does love video games, but is a bit of an 'old soul' in a kid's body. What did your boys think?

I am enjoying your trip report! Agree with others who have complimented you; you have a talent for engaging storytelling!

I don't see any mention of the clubs. Did your boys do the Clubs at all? Was there anything they particularly liked? My DS8 will be with us (for an 'only child cruise.) It will be strange for all of us not to have his teen brothers along. The oldest is Great to take youngest exploring, etc when I need a moment, but they can't miss school. I already know that DS8 will not be the kind to LOVE the clubs and want to stay all day and night but I would like him to go a couple hours a day so I can spend some time at Adult pool and spa. From the Navigators, I am hoping Sloppy Science and the like will entice him. He does love video games, but is a bit of an 'old soul' in a kid's body. What did your boys think?

Yes, all three of them did the clubs for an hour or two most days in the late morning/early afternoon, and the one evening we went to Palo (Chapters 3 and 4 have some details about this).
My boys loved the clubs, especially my ten year old, because they love video games. It wasn't what I was hoping would be the big draw for them, but that's what they enjoy, so that' what they did most of the time. There was a Mario Kart tournament, and I do think they did some Sloppy Science. My 8 year old also spent some times in the art & craft section drawing. I don't know that either of them participated in the big group activities I often saw going on in the central areas, but Megan sure did. also, they ALL enjoyed talking to Crush when he visited. None of them stayed for hours and hours but we, like you, were just wanting a couple of adult-time hours a day and it provided that for us!

THANKS! I will try and find out when the Mario Kart tournament will be (he loves to do that with brothers) and also Crush's 'visit'. I haven't seen that in the navigators.

Chapter 13: Goodbye Fantasy!

The next morning we were all awoken around 7 by the ship-wide announcement that we had docked at Port Canaveral and disembarkation had begun. I should note here that only announcements at the very start of the cruise and this one came over speakers in the room. All others could be heard in the cabin on the TV if you turned it on after hearing the signal.
The mood as we got dressed was a somber one. The weather was even bummed, with angry gray clouds filling the sky and a strong breeze. Even so, Caden went out to enjoy the balcony one last time before we said goodbye to 7600. Not too much to say about this view though!

TR111.PNG
We headed up to Cabanas for breakfast. Connor was so bummed he couldn't even bring himself to eat his daily hash brown. I couldn't even bribe him with a doughnut, poor kid! Megan, though, could be bought off. : ) Chocolate milk is a treat at home, but she had it about every day for breakfast on the ship.
TR112.PNG
After breakfast was over we took one last quick walk around so the kids could say "goodbye" to everything.
On my last cruises, you disembarked by group and it was SO tedious. Not much worse than sitting around a crowded lobby with your luggage waiting for your number to be called. I don't know if that's a thing of the past or if it varies by cruise line, but I was very pleasantly surprised by how quickly we could leave. We finished our goodbyes in the lobby which was surprisingly uncrowned at that hour (probably 7:45 or 8). Then we just walked out the same door we had entered a week before off the main lobby (at all the ports you disembark from Deck 1). And that was it! No fanfare, no lines.
We headed to the large warehouse where our luggage had been taken, and were quickly directed to "gray Daisy" where we found our bags immediately. We were on a bus headed for the Orlando airport within five more minutes, and just like that, it was goodbye Fantasy!

TR113.PNG
It was a gray and cloudy day, very fitting for the occasion. The trip to the airport was quick, and after the dropped us off we followed the signs to the Hilton for the last leg of our journey.
You may recall that we had booked one last night in Orlando as, for some reason, flying home on Saturday was twice as expensive as flying home Sunday - about $500! We had envisioned one last day to wind down before returning to real life, but I think at this point the kids were done. Plus it was really windy and rainy and there were storms all throughout the area. If they couldn't be on the Fantasy they're really just rather be at home!
We were very pleasantly surprised to hear, however, that our room was ready. Check-in was at 3 and it was 11. We had assumed we'd need to do lunch and hang at the pool (not a great prospect by the look of the skies), but instead we got to go chill in the room. We were on the 7th floor and down a LONG hall way. Maybe it just seemed that way because my flip-flops were KILLING my feet. I couldn't wait to get home so I could wear real shoes!
We got into the room and all crawled into the king sized bed and lay there like lumps for a couple of hours watching TV. Having got my wireless back, I spent some time deleting 50,000 emails from Groupon! : )

TR114.PNG
We headed down to the food court for a fast-food lunch. The kids really enjoyed the giant aquarium in the center. And we ran into a family we'd chatted with a couple of times on the boat. They were headed home to Iowa in a couple of hours. I was more jealous than I thought I'd be!
On the way back to the hotel Megan saw this and decided to take advantage of one last princess photo opp.

TR115.PNG
Finally around 2 it stopped raining and even though the sun wasn't out the kids wanted to have a go at swimming. I decided to hang out poolside with a book - I don't swim when there's a wicked wind and no sun, even in Florida! They had a great time and I enjoyed watching the planes take off. I never flew until I was 20 and the sights at airports still mesmerize me!
TR116.PNG
There was an older gentleman across the pool from me on a lounge chair wearing headphones and singing loudly and laughing often at, apparently, nothing. I presumed he was either very happy or perhaps a little mentally unhinged. After about an hour of swimming I gathered up the kids and we walked over to his side of the pool to the little overview of the runways to watch the planes while they dried off. When we turned to go he was standing right behind us and when I smelled his breath I realized the cause of his merriment. "Hey! Hey! You guys from Sweden, am I right?" I kind of laughed nervously and told him, no, we were from Ohio. "No kidding! You so blonde, and all these blonde kids, I was just coming over to ask where was Sven, you know?" I must look very Scandinavian because I get this a lot (have even had Finnish people start talking to me in their language) but this guy was not letting it go. I tried to subtly start herding the kids by him when he decided to, apropos of nothing, give Caden girl advice, and telling him that if he wanted to impress the ladies, that diamonds had nothing on a good bottle of Don Perignon. In fact, he was enjoying some right now. Of this, I had no doubt. Caden was very polite but was kind of at a loss for words (a rare feat), so I thanked him ever so much for his counsel and shuffled past him to get back inside to "Sven" (who was enjoying a nice nap in our absence). You meet all sorts on vacation, I guess!
After we were all showered we decided that Caden and I would head to the food court for a take-out Chinese dinner.
We were at the elevator bank on our floor, and I noticed a giant picture of Eggs Benedict next to the elevator as it was opening. Caden had already hopped on and I paused a second to point it out to him. I had been raving all week about the Eggs Benedict I'd had on the Fantasy and he hadn't eaten with me that day and had asked me what they were. I wanted to show him the picture but the door started to close. I stuck my hand out and my foot but it kept going. Before they closed entirely I saw the panic in his eyes and heard him saying "What do I do, Mom, what do I do?" I had the key that enabled the elevator to move, so he couldn't choose a floor. Unluckily, someone else must have called it because I heard it moving and told him through the door, "Stay put. DO NOT PANIC." However, he is a panicker.
I watched it go up to 8, and pressed the button over and over. It came right back, but when it opened, there was just some guy. Puzzled, I asked if he'd seen a boy on there and he said yeah, he jumped out on 8 yelling "What floor am I on??" He'd told him 8 and then the doors had closed again. Great.
I didn't want to leave where I was in case he took the stairs (we had taken them on the way to the pool and he may have thought of that, if he wasn't panicking), or found a way to get someone to push 7 for him. I looked around and found a phone on the wall nearby and called the front desk who transferred me to security. They said they'd put out a notice and the guards would look for him. Next I called Shawn to come down to the elevator bank so one of us could stay put and the other could explore. I wasn't REALLY worried - he is 10 and a pretty smart kid - but I couldn't figure out where he might have gone either, and I didn't like that feeling.
Before Shawn arrived, as I was just standing there waiting I heard his panicky voice echoing into the large, open airport lobby that we were standing above. "Mom? Mom? Can you hear me?"
I went to the overlook and called back and asked where he was. Apparently standing just one floor above me, frozen in fear. Poor guy! As soon as Shawn arrived he went up to 8 to get him while I called the front desk again. When the doors opened Caden flew out and into my arms. He said he felt really silly, but apparently being left alone on an elevator was one of his deepest darkest fears. And he never wanted me to show him a picture of Eggs Benedict again!
I told him he'd done the right thing by staying put and told him we'd get on the elevator together this time. Together we headed down to Panda Garden and got some chow and then went back up to the room.
We all feasted on our stir fry around the little coffee table, and then we set up the sofa bed for the boys and a little cot for Megan alongside our bed. Everyone was completely wiped out and ready to go home!
I had hoped to sleep in Sunday, since our flight wasn't until 1 and checkout was at 11. Of course they were all up around 8, but again we just hung out in bed and watched TV, with nothing else to do.
Shawn rearranged all our luggage because during his nap the day before he had the brilliant realization that our travel perks Visa - he was pretty sure - would reimburse us for luggage fees on flights we booked through them. He called and found out he was indeed correct, and so we could check four of our bags and only drag a few around the airport! I married a genius!
We checked out and headed to the baggage area to do just that. Megan was a mess at this point! This is seriously gross, but yes, she just curled up on the airport floor.

TR117.PNG
After this we still had plenty of time to go down to the food court for a quick Cinnamon roll breakfast. Security was pretty quick, maybe 15 minutes, and we were at the gate and ready to go in no time. While waiting to board, I looked up and happened to see a friend of mine from home with her four daughters. They are Disney regulars but I had no idea they'd been this week. And of course we were on the same flight home!
The flight was uneventful (again, just how I like it), and the most noteworthy thing that occurred that day was walking outside for the first time in Cincinnati where it was a chilly 55 degrees! It had been in the 90s when we left! We'd been warned, but had only summer clothes to wear, so we were doubly happy we'd paid for premiere parking!
Coming up, final thoughts from all...

So I had time to sit down and interview the family about the highs/lows of the trip, five months removed. Here is what we came up with.

If you were magically teleported back to the Fantasy, what is the first thing you'd do?
Caden: I'd probably go to our room, if no one else was in it, and then I'd go straight to Eye Scream and then swimming!
Connor: Assuming I teleported in my bathing suit, I'd jump right into the pool.
Megan: Go to the pool!
Shawn: Go hang out on our verandah.
Me: Shawn stole my answer, so maybe I'd go up to Cabanas and get some fruit and dessert and THEN go hang out on the verandah!

If you could change one thing about the trip, or do one thing differently, what would it be?
Connor: I would go snorkeling with Dad and Caden at Castaway Cay.
Shawn: I would NOT jump at the Blue Hole! I did not enjoy that.
Megan: I would do the big slide at Donald's Pool that I didn't try.
Caden: I would have gone to the Pirate Party.
Me: I would not have ordered so much breakfast at Port Orleans. ANd I would have relented and taken Megan's night-night (blanket) on the tour of Jamaica to minimize the whining. She was so tired that day!

Best food on the ship:
Megan: Chocolate milk!
Shawn: The appetizer plate (cheese, prosciutto, balsamic dressing) at Palo
Connor: Hash browns!
Caden: Definitely the ahi tuna avocado tower at Enchanted Garden
Me: Sea Bass at Enchanted Garden and dessert at Palo

Best food OFF the ship:
Shawn: Festival bread
Connor: Jerk sausage
Caden: Jerk ANYTHING
Megan: Pumpkin soup
Rebecca: Jerk chicken

Best Port:
Connor, Megan and Shawn all voted for Castaway Cay
Caden said Jamaica. I was tied between the two, but I was so thrilled to get my vanilla in Cozumel also!

Best part of the Kids Club:
Caden: Mario Kart tournament
Connor: Insane Aquarium (a video game, I assume!)
Megan: Making my dress

Castaway Cay Best Memory:
Shawn: THe bike ride
Megan: Playing with toy princesses in the ocean
Caden: Playing "meteors" (a game they made up with rocks) in the ocean
Connor: The bike ride AND playing "alien attack" in the ocean
Me: Tie between the bike ride and drinking a pina collada in a lounge chair in the water while the kids played around me

Favorite Dining Room:
Connor: Royal Court for the food (loved the French onion soup), Animator's for the shows
Megan: Animator's Palate (the show)
Caden: Enchanted Garden, I love how the ceiling changed color
Shawn: Animator's Palate
Me: Décor at Enchanted Garden, but I loved our table at the window at Royal Court!

Best overall Memory:
Caden: Seeing the boat for the first time
Megan: Swimming at the pool!
Shawn: Being introduced as "The Malcolm Family" even though we told them that wasn't it three times
Connor: All the dinners with the whole family
Rebecca: Watching the puppet show together and laughing so hard we couldn't catch our breath

Next up - I'm hoping to post our slide show to conclude things!

Thank you so much for your trip report! We have 3 boys (currently 4, 9, and 11) and are hoping to plan our first cruise - hopefully a Disney cruise ! I very much enjoyed reading your report, and will now check out your Disney World ones as well.

I asked my boys if they had any questions for your boys, and they asked how many and which video games they had in the game area on the ship. Thanks (if they recall) :-)

Loved reading your review! We're from the Cincinnati suburbs too! (Well, were from them.... We just moved to Georgia).

Where did you get the the tshirts you and your husband are wearing for Pirate night?

Thank you so much for your trip report! We have 3 boys (currently 4, 9, and 11) and are hoping to plan our first cruise - hopefully a Disney cruise ! I very much enjoyed reading your report, and will now check out your Disney World ones as well.

I asked my boys if they had any questions for your boys, and they asked how many and which video games they had in the game area on the ship. Thanks (if they recall) :-)
I am going to try to remember to ask them tomorrow and get back to you!

My boys just went to the Oceaneers Club/Lab, not the Edge, where I understand they have a WiiU. In the Oceaneers Club, Caden says they have quite a few video games. Most of the ones in the club are for younger kids, but they enjoyed the ones in the lab for older kids. They liked one called InsanAquarium, and a test dummy skateboard track game. There was also a pirate game where you shot shark bait out of a cannon if you can find that ammunition. There is also a simulator where you can "steer" the ship, and there is a Wii but I think it is only used in the Mario Kart tournament. I do know they spent most of their time on those games when they went to the club.
Hope that helps!

My boys just went to the Oceaneers Club/Lab, not the Edge, where I understand they have a WiiU. In the Oceaneers Club, Caden says they have quite a few video games. Most of the ones in the club are for younger kids, but they enjoyed the ones in the lab for older kids. They liked one called InsanAquarium, and a test dummy skateboard track game. There was also a pirate game where you shot shark bait out of a cannon if you can find that ammunition. There is also a simulator where you can "steer" the ship, and there is a Wii but I think it is only used in the Mario Kart tournament. I do know they spent most of their time on those games when they went to the club.
Hope that helps!

Thanks so much! Oh - I forgot to mention that one of my sons also has a peanut allergy, so the comments relevant to that were most appreciated too. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter