Now I'm nervous about the Poly!

Beth Cat

Earning My Ears
I am not that active with my postings, but try to keep current with the site. We switched from off site and went full throttle to the Poly for our late June trip. I debated between the WL and the Poly for a long time, but couldn't give up the thought of the monorail. (We have a 3 and a 6 year old who won't be able to live without MK)
I read the site about "Hating the Poly" and now I'm nervous! Should I have gone with the WL? It would have been a lot cheaper!
Your advice, please!

Beth

We have stayed both & if we went back & stayed onsite, I would pick Poly again in a second. It definitely is dated (think 70's) but the proximity to MK & monorail make it a no brainer. We watched fireworks from beach almost every night we were there. It was so nice not to have to hassle with the crowds. One night my oldest & I decided to quickly go to MK to see them in person & we were there in minutes. The food was very good & pool is fun too. I felt a little removed at WL, although we really loved our stay there too. :banana:

Beth, I stayed at the Poly, I did not like it that much, but DD loved it. I guess it is up to each person.

I'm sure you did you leg work when trying to decide between the WL and PR so you know what to expect theme wise. If you like the theme (which may seem 70's but is actually still authentic in the Polynesian culture) then you will love everything else about the PR. We like the WL and will stay there periodically but we love the PR and prefer to stay there more frequently. Service has always been great. Rooms are noticably larger than the WL and being able to watch the fireworks and castle every night from your lagoon view or beach is totally worth it. The monorail with a 3 and 6 year old is ideal! WL has a great pool but the PR volcano pool definitely is better! Try to catch the torch lighting ceremony one night. The kids will love it! As long as you like the theme, you will love PR! Be happy with your choice, it was a good one! Enjoy!!!

We have stayed at both and they are BOTH wonderful.

For every bad review, there are 10 more that rave about it.

Go with you gut instincts and stop reading those "I hated this or that" threads. ;)

You will be perfectly fine at either resort :thumbsup2 .

Stay with the Poly!! We have stayed at many of the Disney resorts (including WL) and always come back to the Poly. If you are wanting close proximity to MK, you can't beat the monorail at the Poly. We did the boat thing at WL and while relaxing, it just took too long. If you are staying long enough, I would suggest a split-stay and enjoy both resorts' theming. Don't worry about all the negative reviews, the Poly is still wonderful.
:wave:
Disnemimi

I think you made a wise decision. Two small, tired children who will want lots of MK -- Poly is definitely the way to go!

:rolleyes1 Of course, you are taking the word of a woman who can't actually break down and book a stay at another resort, but that's beside the point. :goodvibes Now, I don't want to get any of the anti-tiki brigade flared up, so I will close by saying that the Wilderness Lodge looks lovely and the folks who stay there seem like nice people. :rotfl2:

What we loved about the Poly was just how KID friendly it is. Our grandson
(4) loved the pools, monorail, playing in the sand, the ducks on the patio.
We loved the ease of getting around, monorail, boat, transportation
center (loved the walk) or bus. The rooms were beautiful and very clean.
Yes! we love the POLY.
JC

Poly ALL the way!! The rooms are much larger and the whole resort has such a relaxing feel. :goodvibes

Nothing is better than a pina colada and a hammock while watching wishes on the beach...... :cloud9:

When you start to feel nervous about your choice think about this - location, location, location!!

Disneyanajc said:
What we loved about the Poly was just how KID friendly it is. Our grandson
(4) loved the pools, monorail, playing in the sand, the ducks on the patio.
We loved the ease of getting around, monorail, boat, transportation
center (loved the walk) or bus. The rooms were beautiful and very clean.
Yes! we love the POLY.
JC

ITA :cheer2: Your kids will LOVE it and it is so easy to get around, esp to MK. My boys loved taking the boat ride over With young kids, it is a winner for sure.

I've stayed at both and although I like the WL very much, the Poly is definitely my favorite. Since you have little ones and want ease of transportation to and from the parks, a monorail resort is best. I've stayed at most of the resorts at one time or another and for me the Poly was by far the most relaxing due to both atmosphere and ease of getting around. Relax and have a great time on your trip!

Don't be nervous. With two small children you made a good choice. We stayed last December for the first time and it was so relaxing. For our next trip we also decided to stay there again because the location with younger ones cant be beat. Besides the location the kids absolutely loved the volcano pool and watching the fireworks and electrical water parade from the beach at night. The renovated rooms were nice in the aspect that there was ample space for storage, the beds were extremely comfortable, and the rooms were spacious enough to fit myself and 3 of my kids comfortably.
The location alone should be great for you and your little ones. Have a great time.

1st of all, the Poly is not dated, it is recently updated and fresh. If you don't want palm trees and the tropics, then don't stay there.

We have stayed at both resorts in the last 2 years, and they are both great.

That being said, we are going back this year and returning to the POLY, primarily because the monorail is truly unbeatable with tired kids,(and Parents).

Make your choice, both are good, but you will love the convenience that the monorail offers. :thumbsup2

We just got back from a split stay at the Poly and WL and wished we would have stayed at the Poly the whole time. We loved the Poly and are planning on going back next year. We had stayed at WL on our previous trip and really enjoyed it but it was a complete let down after the Poly. We are definately Poly people and will be staying there from now on.

Thank you for all who responded!
I know that the convienience was the number one factor in our decision. I should know that each and every resort, restaurant, ride,... will have mixed reviews. I know we will love the Poly!
Beth

I've stayed at both and the Poly wins by a mile. To me the only thing WL has going for it is the neat looking lobby. Everything else falls far below the Poly. Don't listen to those that say the Poly looks dated. They don't know what they are talking about. Go and see for yourself!

We are staying at the Poly in Oct. for the 9th time, we love the place. However, we're staying at WL in Nov. because it's a little more affordable for our situation at that time. That said, we are looking forward to both very, very much, but I would say POLY...POLY...POLY

Please Please Please pick the Poly! I read the 'Hate Poly' thread, too. But please do not let that ruin it for you! The Poly is amazing...and the convienience can't be beat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter