Now I am a bit nervous about my hotel choice

Allensfan

Mouseketeer
Gosh, hate to sound spoiled because I know we are blessed to be staying on the Disney property...that being said...this is the Big vacation for my little boy and I started planning in Sept and we are not going until this Sept..anyway, enough ranting, I will cut to the chase:

I booked the animal view at AKL and I have read so many great things about the poly that I am worried I selected the wrong hotel. How far it was from the park did make me a bit nervous, but I figured the animals and hotel would make up for it. I am also hoping the rooms and beds are comfortable.

I did read in one of the book I bought that the noise from the near by race track made it hard for afternoon resting at the Poly. Now mind you I don't plan on sleeping the day away...but a few hours rest in the late afternoon may be good for a pooped family of 3.

I am having so much fun here...even if this is only my second post. You guys are great!

Thanks.

Maggie

Allensfan said:
Gosh, hate to sound spoiled because I know we are blessed to be staying on the Disney property...that being said...this is the Big vacation for my little boy and I started planning in Sept and we are not going until this Sept..anyway, enough ranting, I will cut to the chase:

I booked the animal view at AKL and I have read so many great things about the poly that I am worried I selected the wrong hotel. How far it was from the park did make me a bit nervous, but I figured the animals and hotel would make up for it. I am also hoping the rooms and beds are comfortable.

I did read in one of the book I bought that the noise from the near by race track made it hard for afternoon resting at the Poly. Now mind you I don't plan on sleeping the day away...but a few hours rest in the late afternoon may be good for a pooped family of 3.

I am having so much fun here...even if this is only my second post. You guys are great!

Thanks.

Maggie

AKL really is not that far away.

Bus ride times from AK according to Passporter.com

MK 20 min.
Epcot 15 min.
MGM 10 min.
AK 5 min.
DTD 15 min.

Even though it may seem far away it really is quite
close to the parks.
Here is an example of times from other resorts according to passporter.com

All Star Buses-CBR buses---POPbuses--PO buses--- Contemporary
MK 20 min---- 20 min-----25 min------10 min---20 min(mono)
Epcot 10 min-- 15 min-----20 min------10 min---15 min
MGM 10 min----12 min-----15 min------15 min---20min
AK 10 min------20min-------15 min----15 min---20 min
DTD 15 min----20 min------20 min-----15 min---35 min

Relax You will have a great at Disney.
Have fun!

You will have a blast at the AKL. My husband and I have explored it many times and enjoyed the restaurants there, and are planning to stay there once our son is old enough to appreciate the animals and children's activities.

There are so many cool details to the resort. I remember the first time we walked into the lobby there were kids sprawled on the floor with paper and crayons. It turns out they were making rubbbings of the animal images that were carved into the floor.

If you do have a car, you may want to use if you're going to a destination that would require you to switch buses. For example, if you're going to have dinner Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge Resort, it would be much easier to drive rather than take the bus and have to go to the TTC or Downtown Disney to catch a bus to the Wilderness Lodge.

Hope you have a great trip, and be sure to post a trip report! :)

Poly is nice...but AKL is nicer. You will thoroughly enjoy your hotel - it is incredibly unique and beautiful.
I love the poly and have stayed there once - but if I were to stay for that kind of $ again I would rather be at AKL.

Of both Poly and AKL I think you have made a good choice with AKL. It's prettier, cheaper, newer ... I could go on. Sorry Poly fans!

I don't know where this misconception about the AKL being far from everything got started. Granted MK is on the other side iof the property but Epcot, MGM and AK are right nearby. Plus, AKL doesn't share buses with other resorts and they only have one bus stop, so every trip is a direct non-stop.

Poly or AKL, either place would be great......Have fun

When we have stayed at the Poly, we took naps and never heard the racetrack. Just thought I would let you know in case that was the only reason you didn't pick the Poly. The AKL is pretty. So glad everybody likes different resorts or we would never get a room :lmao:

We've stayed at both numerous times. First let me say that given the choice, we'd stay at the Poly. It was our first Disney resort 18 years ago and it's our sentimental place! As far as the race track goes, my husbands done the racing experience and that's the only place that we've ever heard the noise. Even in the Poly parking lot we've never heard it. We've also stayed at AKL...because it's cheaper than the Poly and we still get a wonderful experience each time that we go there. We've stayed in the pool view rooms and we've stayed in the savanna view rooms. I prefer the the pool view....the people watching is more interesting than the animal watching. You can always walk to the viewing areas to see the animals {when they're actually out}. Our first time there we saw tons of animals on our savanna. The last 2 times we had to go from savanna to savanna to find them. Maybe we were just hitting them at the wrong time of the day but I actually would have been disappointed if I had actually paid for one of those rooms. The other thing that you may want to consider is which park you'll actually be spending the most time in. The Poly has OHana and AKL has Boma. The Poly shares buses with the other deluxe resorts in that area while the AKL has it's own. The Poly has the fireworks from the beach but you can also see them from the bridge over the lobby at AKL. I could go on and on! You can't go wrong with either resort!

Once again so many nice people responded to me, you certainly do not disappoint! :o) I will relax about my hotel choice and maybe next time I will stay at the Poly. I guess I need to now post about my dining choices on a different board...I can start stressing about that now :o)

Allensfan said:
Once again so many nice people responded to me, you certainly do not disappoint! :o) I will relax about my hotel choice and maybe next time I will stay at the Poly. I guess I need to now post about my dining choices on a different board...I can start stressing about that now :o)

Hi Allensfan

We stayed at the Dolphin on our last trip and one night had dinner at AKL at Jiko. We wanted to have a nice meal and experience the resort. Wow it's awsome! It still amazes me the level of detail Disney goes to. When we were walking up to the front entrance I could smell a faint sweet smoke smell. I asked my wife and she noticed it too. So curious me I asked a helpful CM and he told us that it was the African brush fires in the distance. Wow how cool is that. We spent 2 hours walking around the resort after our dinner looking at all the details. Our DS5 got to see the animals at night with the night vision binnoculars. I would not hesitate to stay at this resort. We still haven't yet but I really want to.

Our dinner was fabulous too. :)

One point I'm trying to make is when you stay at the AKL, make dinner reservations for one night at the Polynesian. Spend some time and see what it has to offer and if you might like to stay there. From what I understand Ohana is supposed to me amazing. Pictures are ok but actually being there is a whole different story.

A.

Hi! :wave:

No worries! We stayed at AKL Deluxe Savannah View and we had a great time. I also thought that the ride to the parks was going to be long, but to my surprise we didn't have any problems at all. Did not wait longer than 10-15 minutes for a bus and we were at the parks in a jiffy. You will have a wonderful time at AKL. :wizard: :wizard:

Coming from a Poly Lover, who's stayed at AK I think you've made a good choice. Little one love this resort.

This resort is not about, just the park. There are so many activitives going on. Plus the nightly stories around the fire pit.

My GC loved this resort, bus rides were never a problem.

Do not stress out about your pick. I rememember my first stay at POR everyone thought it was the best, another stay at CBR everyone loved it. I have never been disappointed in any of my stays. Each resort offers special theming and AK has probably the best theming.

lovmy2girls said:
When we have stayed at the Poly, we took naps and never heard the racetrack. Just thought I would let you know in case that was the only reason you didn't pick the Poly. The AKL is pretty. So glad everybody likes different resorts or we would never get a room :lmao:

I've never heard the racetrack either. :confused3
AKL is a great choice. No doubt, you will enjoy your time there.

We loved everything about the AKL. We also were concerned about the transportation thing, but it actually was the easiest (shortest wait times, more likely to get a seat on the bus, direct routes, etc) of all 3 resorts we stayed at (5 nights BC, 5 nights AKL and 1 night Poly) with the exception of BC to Epcot WS and Poly to MK of course.

I have stayed at both AKL and Poly and I prefer the Poly. I spent each afternoon at the resort and never heard the race cars at the track.

The AKL is a wonderful hotel in many respects. I preferred the Poly because the theme was more my style, the rooms were larger, and I felt right in the middle of things on the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Have a great trip!

I'm sure you'll love AKL but just in case Poly is on your future list...I've stayed there 4 times and I've NEVER heard any race track noise.

We LOVED Kona. Maybe you could try that or Ohana to see if you would want to stay there someday. Before I stayed at the Poly I had only seen it from the monorail and I wasn't impressed. I stayed there for the first time because I was pregnant and I thought it would be easiest to stay there and I feel in love with the place.

I always get nervous about my hotel choice too. Although I haven't stayed at the Poly, I know what it is like to worry about the choice I made! I think that so far, the AKL is my favorite. My DS loved looking at the animals, and I was suprised how much I enjoyed it too. Don't worry, the AKL is a gorgeous resort. Stay at the Poly on your next visit. After you stay at the AKL, it will be hard for you to make that choice!
Enjoy!

AKL is my favorite. When you walk in...it's like being in another world. I think you've made the right choice :)

In simplest terms you can not go wrong with any of the deluxe resorts they are all wonderful and each one has its own special charm. The only solution is to keep going until you have stayed at all of them. :lmao:

GF, WL, BC, YC and AKL down and BW, Poly and CR to go for us. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter