• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Novice photographer getting an a6000

thmcdonald1

Mouseketeer
Couldn't resist this ebay deal:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7829647-son...hTest+-+Control+-+Control+-+Control+-+Control

So, I'm going to take a trip to Disneyland in May with an a6000. I've only ever really taken photos with an iPhone 6 Plus (except for a week in which I rented a Sony DSC-RX100 III, to try it out), so I'm really a fish out of water here.

The package deal comes with a 16-50 mm lens and a 55-210mm lens. I'd like to keep the telephoto lens for zooming in on stuff, but I'm contemplating selling the 16-50mm for something with a better aperture... I've narrowed it down to either a 50mm f1.8 or a 35mm f1.8.

For me, my biggest concerns are three fold. First, it's the 60th anniversary, and I want to be able to have a camera that can capture the event in HQ. I think the a6000 is perfect for it, especially at the price point, so now it is just narrowing it down to the right lens. Second, my wife and I will be doing the Chef's Counter at Napa Rose, and I love food pictures. I'd like something that can really capture the essence of our meals at NR. Third, I want lenses that aren't overly bulky and will be quick to switch out and capture the perfect photo before it's too late.

Few questions:

1.) Should I keep the 16-50mm for Disneyland, or should I switch out to a nice prime lens like the 35 or 50?

2.) Of the two prime lenses, which is best for Disneyland? I don't have any loyalty to either, and I'm not sure what the biggest difference would be.

3.) What can I do now to prepare to take awesome photos in mid-May? Should I stick with the Auto settings for my first outing, or should I play around with the manual settings and try and "master" them by the trip? Any tips on how to do that?

Thanks everyone!

I would buy the 35mm 1.8. I like the 50mm but it's too tight for DL.

Read a book or two on exposure and shoot in manual to get a good feel for how Shutterspeed, Aperture and ISO work to create an image. Expect to take plenty of lousy shots at first ( I certainly did).

I'd keep the 16-50 and get the 35 f/1.8 as well - in fact, when in DL or WDW I normally don't bring my telephoto, and use my version of both of those instead (I'm using a Nikon, so the lenses are slightly different, but cover the same ranges). The 16-50 gives zooming versatility and a bit of wide angle, while the 35 f/1.8 gives you the wide aperture and a normal field of view.

I'd keep the 16-50 AND get a prime. They have very different uses. The prime will obviously be much better in low light, and will give you better overall image quality.
BUT... especially for a place like Disneyland, you will want some wide angle shots, much wider than 35mm. So I'd keep the 16-50 at a minimum, for landscapes.

As to manual vs auto, you aren't going to master full manual control in 2 weeks. In all likelihood, you are more likely to confuse yourself and come away with worse shots. Instead of trying to master full manual control, I'd focus on the following over the next few weeks:
1. Just get comfortable with the camera in your hand. Get comfortable changing the lenses. Get comfortable with the very basic settings. How do you switch to video. etc.
2. Threads on this board, some basic websites, images on Flickr... get to understand a bit about composition. Whether shot in auto or with the perfect manual settings, a great shot requires great composition. In some ways, this is easier and harder than the technical stuff. Doesn't require advanced technical know how, but it requires a constant awareness of the scene, of what you are trying to capture. You will get much better pictures if you get to understand composition a little better.
3. Get a basic idea of the shots you really want to get. Do you want to get shots in dark rides? Do you want to shoot fireworks? you mentioned food shots.
4. Learn the settings that are best for getting the shots you wanted in #3. Whether it be fully auto, a semi-auto mode, or one of the PASM modes. (For a true newbie without much time to learn, the semi-auto scene modes like "sports" or "portrait" can be very helpful.) Over time, if you really want to get into photography, you will learn the full exposure triangle, you will learn how to manipulate depth of field, etc, etc. But you'll go nuts if you try to learn it all in 2 weeks. Took me years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter