Novice - need one day tips

DopeyDame

DIS Veteran
Hi Universal folks!
I've been to WDW a ton, but on this trip we're also doing one day at Universal. We have a park hopper pass.

It's quite the crew: two grandparents, six parents, and four little kids (ages 5, 2.5, and two 1 year olds)

We realize we won't see everything, and that's fine - just want a fun "taste" of Universal.
So I have a few questions:

1. We definitely want to do most of the Harry Potter stuff. We'll be there on a Saturday in January. What's the best way to handle that?
2. What are the must-dos for the little kids? (Obviously mainly the 5 and 2.5 year old - the babies are along for the ride)
3. What are just 1 or 2 must dos for the grownups?
4. How does baby swap work at Universal? I'm a master at WDW babyswap but I hear this is different.

Thanks!

As long as you realize you'll only get a taste than you'll be fine. Universal and Islands of Adventures has 27-29 rides depending on how you count Dragon Challenge and Hogwarts Express. By Comparison, DAK and DHS has 12 rides.

1. As you hopefully know, The Harry Potter stuff is split between both parks. Most 1 day plans/2 park plans have you start the day at USF to pick up a couple of the rides there that have short wait times early in the day. Then, hop late morning over to IOA on the Hogwarts Express and do Hogsmead. Then, work you way around IOA. Ride the Hogwarts Express back to USF and finish the day with Diagon Alley. Most of the plans have you finish with Diagon Alley because onsite guests get Early Entry there so it tends to be busy at park open (but other parts aren't).

2. Depending on the heights of the kids (There aren't many rides without some height restrictions).
USF: E.T. (34")
Kudo and Kang Twirl and Hurl
Woody Woodpeckers Nuthouse Coaster (36")
Despicable Me (40" for motion seats everyone can do non-motion seats)
Parade
IOA: Cat in the Hat (36" unfortunately it used to have no height requirement just like Splash mountain didn't used to have lap bars)
One Fish, 2 Fish
Caro-Seuss-el
Flight of the Hippogryphs (36")
Pteranodon Flyers (36") Adults cannot ride without a child 36"-56"
On top of that both parks have play areas for children to run and blow off steam. Children also like Toon Lagoon even though most of the rides have higher height requirement because there is water EVERYWHERE to splash in and get wet.

3) For the adults, the must do's (not HP and not already listed above) in my opinion are:
USF: Revenge of the Mummy
Men in Black
Transformers

IOA:Spiderman
Jurrasic Park/Dudley Do Right/ Popeye (if the weather is condusive to getting wet)
Hulk - If you're a roller coaster fan.

4. At Universal, in general, for child swap everyone waits in line together. When you get to the front of the line, there is a small room playing videos for the children to wait in while those tall enough swap out turns riding.

check out www.universalorlando.com and get the descriptions of the rides, eateries, first aid locations, etc, so you will know the layout of the parks.

if you only have one day and plan on doing both parks with a large group, set up a tenative idea of what to do and what to avoid.

chld swap is great.
all in the family go thru the line together and kept together until it is your turn for the ride.
you are taken to a separate room to wait for your group.
those that have waited are then allowed to go on the line without a wait.

[I

chld swap is great.
all in the family go thru the line together and kept together until it is your turn for the ride.
you are taken to a separate room to wait for your group.
those that have waited are then allowed to go on the line without a wait.[/I]

Child swap question...Can the parent that stays back with the smaller kids have someone from the original group ride with him/her again?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter