November tips / large group tips

Amyality

Disney Nut!
Hi All! Planning a trip for a large part of my husbands extened family (will probably be 20 or so of us) in Nov 2004. Looking for touring tips for mid Nov. and large family groups. We went in August 03 and I did all my planning here with the DIS. We got so much done and mostly were one step ahead of the game. BTW, DH and I are 28 and have two DS ages 5 and 2.
Best,
Amy

The absolute best tip I can give you regarding large groups is: plan for time apart!

It can be done! You CAN tell the group your family will be doing 'xyz' at thus and such time, but will be so happy to meet up with them again at dinner, and you can't wait to hear what everyone has been doing all day and tell them about your day.

The best way to keep extended family happy during a mutual vacation is to plan for some time apart. It allows you to relax, it allows everyone else to relax, and it allows for great conversation and sharing during the time you are together. :)

Excellent suggestion Cleo. Luckily, for us we are going for seven days, the rest of the group is only going for four. What you described is exactly how I would envision things going. Thanks a bunch!
Amy

We went with a group of 12 this past Nov. I planned and planned and things went at best "okay". It was A LOT more stressful than I had imagined. Everyone got along, which was great. But there are so many different personalities in the group. At one point I had my mother (50) ask me in MK if we could PLEASE do more "thrill" rides. I very quickly found out she was refering to things like POC and HM!! I was heading for the coasters. Also, people walk at so many different paces and someone ALWAYS has to go to the bathroom!!! I took all the advice from these boards mixed it with my past expierence and it still didn't go as planned. We had a good time, but I don't think I'll travel to Disney with a large group again. We camp all together every year and I'll stick to that. Another thing going against me was I had 9 newbies in the crowd!! We also did plan time apart every day. We always watched the parades together, ate together. As well as trying to hit up a few rides together.

Split up and meet for meals and parades. I've never known a large group personally to have a good time.

we always go with a large group so I need tips on with just the 2 of us (just kidding)

the worst is when you have someone who thinks you need to do everything together (one time they even got mad that we went to breakfast without them even though they were still in bed at the agreed upon time) so I'm make it clear before hand there will be some alone time and that every family/ individual is responsible for themselves (same someone wanted *everyone* to leave Epcot mid morning on a park hopper pass no less cause their child got "sick"as in "cough cough i feel like swimming" sick not really sick)

also make it clear potty stops are for *everyone* or little Harriet who didn't have to go 1/2 an hr ago when everyone *else * stopped will have to go as soon as you get ready to step on the next ride you waited in line for (and needs to go "right now doing the potty dance") and little Freddie will have to go 1/2 an hr after her. if someone has a real problem in that area make it clear you all aren't going to get off every ride to accomedate them but you'll meet them afterwards. one kid we went with really did this at *every* ride and the ride waits were only 15 mins. but "never" went when we stopped ( "mom" never even made him 'try'since we had all just left the previous ride so he could go and he didn't need to *then* but as soon as we'd get to the head of the next line-BINGO!.,.drove us crazy but we did know where every single bathroom was)

also you need to have a general idea if your touring styles mesh ...are you commandos and they are "strollers"? everyone has to be flexible

all that bad stuff being said it can be fun ( or we wouldn't have always done it lol) but the best times we had were the "meet here at such an such time for so long then we are going to dinner" trips where we all stayed different places. we left things open if people wanted to join together but no one *had* to...too much togetherness is not a good thing even if you normally get along really well. if you do not get along really well do not even try it unless you are trying to come up with a way to permanently get them out of your lives!

two words: walkie talkies
they are the greatest things, especially for large groups. If one part of the group goes off to do thier own thing and they are running late, they can just get on the walkie talkie and tell you instead of your group getting impatient and angry. You can arrange another meeting place instead or at a later time so you can go off and do something instead of just standing around.
Not everyone one needs one too, just some people from each family. My brother and I each have our own and my parents share one, my cousin has his own, and the other family we go with have one for the parents and two for the three kids. This works just fine. (most of us got them as Christmas presents)
We use the motorola talk-abouts and to not have trouble hearing each other and we really don't pick up other people's conversations. Now they have them with chargers so you don't have to use the batteries. ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter