NOVEMBER 2008 Code Watch...

Is it worth me applying for a Disney Visa right now. I was thinking that I could use it to pay off my balance of my trip. We have the cash sitting in our bank account waiting for a code...lol...but I was thinking if I used the Visa to pay off the balance and then paid it off with the cash...I could earn the Disney Reward Points/Dollars...and also be a visa holder for the credit card code. Any thoughts or should I not open a credit card account for this at all? Is it worth the effort?

Not getting in pros/cons on actually getting a credit card, a few pros of the Disney visa:

* Actual Visa with no annual fee
* Warranty Manager extension for up to one year
* Options for Extended warranty VERY CHEAP

A Con is with their 6 months no payments for a trip. Any other charges would incur a finance charge. And any payment done to the account is applied towards the trip first, then payments. So if you are used to pay in full, forget it. Or use the card for the trip, then don't use it for 6 months.

I'd like to go and actually enjoy a vacation this time. As the last 3 out of 4 times I've been in conference while the family vacationed. Thought would be in conf again this year in Oct, but looks like I won't so...

Beach Club for NJ week - say Nov. 7th to Nov. 11th. And I do have a Disney Visa...

Quick ? - Do you book the room only now at rack rate (and/or AAA discount) and then apply code when it comes out? Also, can you upgrade to package (ie add tickets and/or dining)?

I've never done a package - always conf or room only...

Not getting in pros/cons on actually getting a credit card, a few pros of the Disney visa:

* Actual Visa with no annual fee
* Warranty Manager extension for up to one year
* Options for Extended warranty VERY CHEAP

A Con is with their 6 months no payments for a trip. Any other charges would incur a finance charge. And any payment done to the account is applied towards the trip first, then payments. So if you are used to pay in full, forget it. Or use the card for the trip, then don't use it for 6 months.

ok, i'm a lil confused. so i my trips cost 1667.00 and i qualify for the 6 months 0% finance and i charged some stuff a month later .
do they give just one monthly payment due amount?
example if its 60.00 monthly payment how much goes to my trip and how much to the other charges. can someone explain this pleas. thanks

:yay:

I booked the day the AP code came out last year and my notes say August 15. I'm not sure about the VISA code.

Did they have AP rates for over Thanksgiving? That's what I would love! We'll be there from 11/21 -11/28 at POP.

MPS4124[/QUOTE]

Mousesavers says the Disney visa code came out on 8/13 last year for package discounts. I have a card now. Anyone know how they tell you this on that day? Do they email you, or do you have to have had your visa for a certain length of time to get the discount sent to you? Or do they mail it to you with a date printed on it when it becomes valid to use? Last yr I got a pin code thing in the mail in mid august for fall dates, it was a great deal!! And to think I almost through it out, not realizing it was really a great deal! :scared1: Can't wait till this yr's comes out!
:thumbsup2

If they offer the code to VISA cardholders first, but you are not notified as a Disney Visa cardholder, can you call in and tell them you are and get the code? Or is it only valid for the cardholders that got the notification? For instance, if a cardholder on here is notified and tells us so, but I didn't get notified, can I call and book as a cardholder and get the discount?

Wondering this too!

Is it worth me applying for a Disney Visa right now. I was thinking that I could use it to pay off my balance of my trip. We have the cash sitting in our bank account waiting for a code...lol...but I was thinking if I used the Visa to pay off the balance and then paid it off with the cash...I could earn the Disney Reward Points/Dollars...and also be a visa holder for the credit card code. Any thoughts or should I not open a credit card account for this at all? Is it worth the effort?

Yeah, I think it's worth it, definitely since it does bring reward paying for things you'd be paying for one way or the other, this way you get something back for it! :goodvibes

But, I'm wondering about the paying for the trip part. I don't have to pay the whole trip when I book, do I? I really don't like them taking any payment I make and putting it all towards the vacation since I've been paying everything with my card! Can I specify some to go to vacation and some towards balance? Or make two or more payments in a month, with the first going to vacation and the others toward rest of balance? Otherwise it's like them forcing you to pay off the trip first or build up lots of interest on rest of trip while you pay off trip. Am I confused? :confused:

Also, if it says it's a package discount only, can I just buy tickets with room? We don't do the DDP. Is it worth it to buy the room / tickets package to get the discount and not wait for the room only? I was thinking of getting the tickets at undercover tourist with the link through mousesavers. I don't know if what I would save would really be worth it? Last yr we did the room/tickets package but didn't know about the tickets deal at UT through mousesavers. I usually book with the AAA rate for room only and only realized last fall there were other discounts to be had!

ok, i'm a lil confused. so i my trips cost 1667.00 and i qualify for the 6 months 0% finance and i charged some stuff a month later .
do they give just one monthly payment due amount?
example if its 60.00 monthly payment how much goes to my trip and how much to the other charges. can someone explain this pleas. thanks

The problem is if you don't carry a balance (ie pay in full every month).

You charge your trip for 1667. If you don't use the card again at all after this, you will not have to pay anything for the next 6 months.

But if you do have any additional charges, you will have a minimum payment due. However any payments you make get applied towards your 0% balance. Which means, that the additional charges will incur finance charges.

It's not a problem if you carry a balance and pay the minimum. I argue this last time with them and ended up paying in full (as I usually do)...

Hope this helps - but I'm not a financial adviser :)

But, I'm wondering about the paying for the trip part. I don't have to pay the whole trip when I book, do I? I really don't like them taking any payment I make and putting it all towards the vacation since I've been paying everything with my card! Can I specify some to go to vacation and some towards balance? Or make two or more payments in a month, with the first going to vacation and the others toward rest of balance? Otherwise it's like them forcing you to pay off the trip first or build up lots of interest on rest of trip while you pay off trip. Am I confused? :confused:

Your are not confused. That's the way it is. Any payments done to the account go towards the vacation. So yes, anything else gets the full finance charges... I've been asking this every time I've been on a trip since I've gotten the card (and I'm a charter member :)

Your are not confused. That's the way it is. Any payments done to the account go towards the vacation. So yes, anything else gets the full finance charges... I've been asking this every time I've been on a trip since I've gotten the card (and I'm a charter member :)

well that kinda sucks. I thought a certain amount goes to trip and the rest toward other charges. Well i guess my trip will be charged and I will use citi bank for other charges. I'm so glad someone brought this up. otherwise i would have been mad and stressed out when the time came-lol!

Add us to the list of Nov. code watchers. We will be there 11/12-11/18.:woohoo:

Last year with the Disney Visa code, we were able to upgrade to a Savannah view room at AKL. With the code it was actually a $100 less than the pool view room we had booked there. So here's hoping to another good code.:banana:

Thanks for the responses regarding the visa card. I still am totally confused. I was thinking that I could start earning reward points for a second trip in a few years when littlest one is a few years older. I really just wanted to take advantage of charging $6600 for this trip and getting the rewards from that sum....also being able to get a discount code or pin. (The way I understand I will only receive $66 of rewards if I charge the $6600, right?) Also...will I be eligible for the "visa" discount if I just open now? I don't know if it is worth me opening up an account when I don't plan on visiting again for another 3 years or so. But I AM praying for a code to help us out for this trip....fingers crossed!!!

(edit: sorry, as I reread this I realize that I'm all over the place on this question...)

I believe the points you earn are good for 5 years as long as you don't load them onto a card. So if you plan on returning in 3 years I would say get the card and start accumulating points. I know some people pay all there bills with the VISA then pay it off each month and have quite a few dollars when they get to Disney.

I could be wrong but the VISA code will be for all VISA holders so if you are a member when the code comes out you will be able to apply the discount.

Thanks for the responses regarding the visa card. I still am totally confused. I was thinking that I could start earning reward points for a second trip in a few years when littlest one is a few years older. I really just wanted to take advantage of charging $6600 for this trip and getting the rewards from that sum....also being able to get a discount code or pin. (The way I understand I will only receive $66 of rewards if I charge the $6600, right?) Also...will I be eligible for the "visa" discount if I just open now? I don't know if it is worth me opening up an account when I don't plan on visiting again for another 3 years or so. But I AM praying for a code to help us out for this trip....fingers crossed!!!

Hi! Where in Pa are you? I am outside of Philly. I say it is worth it to get a Disney Visa only if you pay the whole balance off each month. In addition to some deals being released first to card holders you can also earn Disney $$$. I charge groceries, gas, large purchases, etc... and I pay off the bill monthly. Before our Disney trip I tranfer my Disney reward dollars to my rewards card. After using the card for about 2 years, this trip we have over $500!! (My husband also uses the Visa for work expenses that he gets reimbursed for.) Of course if you don't pay the balance off monthly then paying interest cancels the benefits of the card, Have a wonderful trip and you are going to love:love: the Wilderness Lodge! It is my family's favorite resort!!!!
I just noticed your travel dates-- you arrive the day we leave!

Sorry if this has been answered before, but do you have to purchase the current package/room using the card or can you just be a card holder to get the discount?

TIA

Sorry if this has been answered before, but do you have to purchase the current package/room using the card or can you just be a card holder to get the discount?

TIA

If my memory serves me correctly, last year people said that you needed to use the card for your deposit. When I booked the packages for me and my parents, I paid the $200 deposit for both using my card so when the code comes out, I can apply it to both reservations.

If they offer the code to VISA cardholders first, but you are not notified as a Disney Visa cardholder, can you call in and tell them you are and get the code? Or is it only valid for the cardholders that got the notification? For instance, if a cardholder on here is notified and tells us so, but I didn't get notified, can I call and book as a cardholder and get the discount?

I don't know the answer to your question. I would like to say they would give it to you, but sometimes you never know. I'm sure if you call back there will be a CM with will give it to you. But you can always access the discount codes on Mousesavers.

I have no idea why I get the emails... I just got one, not for November though. :(

Quick ? - Do you book the room only now at rack rate (and/or AAA discount) and then apply code when it comes out? Also, can you upgrade to package (ie add tickets and/or dining)?

I've never done a package - always conf or room only...

I don't book my room at rack rate. I won't book until a code comes out. Just because you have a room now, doesn't mean you are guarenteed one later. Let me try to explain... lets say on November 10th they offer 20% of the rooms at Pop Century to a Disney Visa discount. Even if you already have a room, if you call after those 20% of rooms are booked, you will not get the discount. Does that make sense?

I'm pretty sure if a discount code comes out for room only you can upgrade it to a package. I have only received on room only discount that I could NOT upgrade to a package (I called and could travel any time, the CM came back and told me I could book CSR for $79/ni but couldn't upgrade it to a pacakage... he said I got that option because I had open avail).

Mousesavers says the Disney visa code came out on 8/13 last year for package discounts. I have a card now. Anyone know how they tell you this on that day? Do they email you, or do you have to have had your visa for a certain length of time to get the discount sent to you? Or do they mail it to you with a date printed on it when it becomes valid to use? Last yr I got a pin code thing in the mail in mid august for fall dates, it was a great deal!! And to think I almost through it out, not realizing it was really a great deal! :scared1: Can't wait till this yr's comes out!
:thumbsup2

Wondering this too!

Yeah, I think it's worth it, definitely since it does bring reward paying for things you'd be paying for one way or the other, this way you get something back for it! :goodvibes

Also, if it says it's a package discount only, can I just buy tickets with room? We don't do the DDP. Is it worth it to buy the room / tickets package to get the discount and not wait for the room only? I was thinking of getting the tickets at undercover tourist with the link through mousesavers. I don't know if what I would save would really be worth it? Last yr we did the room/tickets package but didn't know about the tickets deal at UT through mousesavers. I usually book with the AAA rate for room only and only realized last fall there were other discounts to be had!

Generally, from what I hear, Disney Visa doesn't tell you they have a discount out. I get emails, and in my monthly statements sometimes there are discounts (but I haven't seen them for WDW in a couple years).

I don't have the answer to your question about paying things off, because I never carry a balance on any credit card... maybe someone else can help you.

A package is hotel plus tickets. There are add-ons, like the DDP, but you don't have to do that.

You have to go to Disney's website and find out how much your tickets will cost from there and compare them to Undercover Tourist. I only say like $4 a ticket, and we use the Planet Hollywood voucher, so we really aren't saving any money. We actually save money with the package from Disney. Plus I just like having my tickets on my room key anyways... one less thing to keep track of.

I could be wrong but the VISA code will be for all VISA holders so if you are a member when the code comes out you will be able to apply the discount.

I just want to clarify you get the discount ONLY if you have a Disney Visa NOT any Visa.

TIA

You have to use your Disney Visa.

If my memory serves me correctly, last year people said that you needed to use the card for your deposit. When I booked the packages for me and my parents, I paid the $200 deposit for both using my card so when the code comes out, I can apply it to both reservations.

Smart move, too bad I thought of this too late! :sad2:

:yay: Just what I was hoping for! I'd really like to stay at the Polynesian, the Beach club or The Floridian and treat my parents- just need a good discount! Hopefully, I'll find something and can share the wealth!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter