• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

November 11, 2006 - MAGIC - Special Western "Double Dip" Cruise 11/11/06

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spotdude said:
It was the loudest concert I have ever been to. I went to Journey when I was 13 my ears rang for a week and this put that to sham.
But for all of you 80's hair band fans :crazy: the new singer for journey sounded JUST like Steve Perry. I couldn't believe it. And not being g a huge Def Leopard fan (as my brother in-law is) they put on a fantastic show.
I remember plenty of loud concerts and ringing ears (yes, another child of the 80's here!)
We are going to see Aerosmith and Motley Crue in just 3 weeks (WOO HOO--I won tickets!) and went to see Poison/Cinderella last month.
The new singer for Journey is amazing isn't he? Looks like Steve Perry, sounds like Steve Perry, and isn't his name Steve as well? scary!

Can't wait for the cruise to get here. Still can't decide on an excursion or what we are going to do.
About 4 weeks before the cruise the anticipation starts to get to me.
Come on cruise...
Sue Ellen

Hey Jackie you could have a story there too!! Working for two wives. That could be an interesting story. :rotfl2:

Hope everyone had a great day :sunny: I'll be looking forward to seeing everyone at the chat tomorrow evening. :wave2: Have a good day everyone!!

party: Lets Party today is Dee's :bday: Let the music begin :rockband:
Happy Birthday my friend and many more. Hope your day is a special one filled with all the happiness you deserve. :wave:

clynne said:
rocketralph...Are those comforters for sale on the ship? (Not that I want to pack one back to CA, but it would look good in ds' room...)
I bought it on eBay for $30. :goodvibes

WendyJersey said:
I want to thank everyone on their input regarding the snorkeling gear. I will certainly give it all consideration for the next time I go traveling. :thumbsup2 I'm so glad there are other people who are like me.
Dee maybe obsessive compulsive in the planning department, but I am obsessive compulsive with germs to a degree . As time goes on I notice I am thinking more about cleanliness/germs before I do something, i.e. snorkeling. Especially with what is out there anymore. Don't know when I started to get like this. :confused3 Sometimes these compulsive things come with age and some come from experiences. I just want to live to be the ripe old age of 100, if that's possible. What am I thinking???? I'm already over the half way mark!!!! :rotfl2:
I just picked up a case of the instant hand sanitizer last night (a case came in damaged and I was able to get it set aside) I have a small tube that I bought. I am a BIG believer in washing your hands often. With out getting off subject to far. I started carrying it with me after our last cruise when I was in the bathroom and SEVERAL people walked in did there thing and left WITHOUT washing their hands. YUCK that really turns my stomach.

TiggersPal said:
Your so lucky!!!! I love Journey! I remember Steve Perry in his black tight leather pants... :cheer2: :cloud9: :woohoo:
Yes with out aging my self to much. Remember seeing them on the raised on the radio tour at the coliseum. Man that had to be ’84 ’85. They did look really old though. We saw them at the Tweeter Center. It like Desert Sky (or what ever they call it now. I still call it westridge mall too I hate name changes like that) WE were under the roof so they were ok seats. IT was the first time I have seen Def Leopard though, they were good as well. WE went to see Styx Eddie Money and REO Speed wagon Styx is another one that has a new lead singer and they were terrible!!!!!!!! Since Dennis De Yong has the rights to a lot of songs we missed a lot. They did a montage of them and that was just terrible. Eddie Money on the other hand was GREATE, and he donated all proceeds from the tour to charity.

Boy, I haven't been to a rock concert in quite a while (is it something about aging and dealing with crowds???). I've been to a few good ones BUT none compare to the FIRST.

The Beatles, Comiskey Park, Chicago, '65. :rockband:

Okay, I have screwed up royally. Been planning trip for a year, doing all the "extra" stuff--pirate costumes, distag bags, sand toys for kids, excursions, Palo's, etc etc--and didn't do the most basic of things--ARRANGE TO GET TO THE BOAT!! I sat on plane tickets thinking they would go down (off peak season, gas dropping) and just this week our ticket prices have risen over $100 EACH! DH isn't real happy with me because he told me to book it weeks ago at $280 and it's now almost $400 each at our preferred airport (Memphis). Birmingham was always cheaper and a second option, but now those tickets have risen even more--from $220 to $430!! Soooo, I'm feeling like I've really screwed up. I can get down there on SW rather cheaply, but SW only has one flight back to B'ham on Sat 11/18 and it's at 8:00a, so out of the question. Sunday is COMPLETELY full on their one flight home. I could do another airline one way Sat. but that is even more expensive. So this is my question--maybe you people in Florida can help me out. What's the next closest airport? (Not Samford---doesn't service my area.) Tampa has a flight on SW at 2:55 --how far a drive is that from the port? Ft. Myers? Ft. Lauderdale? Jacksonville? What is the best option here? Could I rent a car at the port, drive to Tampa, catch that 2:55 plane without much ado? Or, more specifically, without DH killing me for putting us to all that trouble?
And another question--for those of you with more travel knowledge than I obviously have--do you think plane tickets will now go down in the next six weeks and I should just wait and gamble (again?) I mean, I can't see them going much higher as I could fly cross country for these prices, but I NEVER expected them to rise like they did over night.
I WOULD SO APPRECIATE ANY HELP!!
All this worry plus German inlaws (four of them) coming to my house for weeks and staying right up until trip. I'm stressed! Help!

Melanie, I've flown in and out of Tampa on several of my WDW trips. The drive was ABOUT 90 minutes IF memory serves (I know we've done it in under two hours). You just need to add the extra hour (ish) to the port. The important thing here is to know if there is currently any construction on the highway, as that could greatly impact drive time. Technically you could get off the ship and drive to Tampa for a 3PM flight (as you've got about six hours to work with).

You need a FL resident/driver to give you a more exact picture OR go to mapquest and have them map it out for you.

EDITED: JUst went to mapquest (remembered you only hava dial-up!)
137 miles from the Tampa Airport to Port Canaveral. Estimated driving time 2 hours and 18 minutes. Not bad!

Melanine,

We're doing the same thing too (and I booked the day SW opened its flights). We're flying into MCO Fri., and flying back the Sat. of the cruise from Tampa. There was no problem changing the car rental reservation, and even though it is about a 45 minute further drive, we actually like flying from TPA. It will be a lot less crowded than MCO, and it seems to be a very efficient airport. Our flight's not till 8 PM, so we're just trying to decide what to do with our day. I would definately go ahead and book the SW flights.

Lauri

Lauri, thanks for that info. Please tell me a little more how this works. We are just staying at Hyatt MCO and getting transfers (I hope!) to the ship. So, how much trouble is it geting a car--how do we go about doing that? Taking a cab to Budget, renting it and then heading out? Is traffic horrendous on a Saturday on that route? It's really going to take some convincing to DH that this isn't going to be alot of trouble to do this--since he's not from this country he doesn't really like to drive in unfamiliar places. I'm just thinking for an $800 savings it can't be THAT much trouble!!

Mitamel.. Have you checked Airtran? I just checked it from Memphis to Orlando and one way was 114. RT for 4 was 1136.80. Which is 284.20 each.

flight details
Departing: Friday, November 10, 2006 $114.00 - Coach
Memphis, TN (MEM) to Atlanta, GA (ATL) Flight 528
5:14 PM 7:30 PM

Atlanta, GA (ATL) to Orlando, FL (MCO) Flight 847
9:15 PM 10:44 PM

Returning: Saturday, November 18, 2006 $135.00 - Coach
Orlando, FL (MCO) to Atlanta, GA (ATL) Flight 294
1:28 PM 3:05 PM

Atlanta, GA (ATL) to Memphis, TN (MEM) Flight 531
4:27 PM 4:44 PM

Departing (Coach)
Airfare / passenger $106.05
Taxes / passenger (details) $24.05
Subtotal / passenger $130.10
x 4 passenger(s) $520.40

Returning (Coach)
Airfare / passenger $125.58
Taxes / passenger (details) $28.52
Subtotal / passenger $154.10
x 4 passenger(s) $616.40

Total Cost of Flight $1,136.80

Dee, wow, you went to alot of trouble for me--thank you!
Yes, I have checked all airlines out of Memphis and B'ham. The problem with Airtran is the layovers in Atlanta--the worst airport in the country. Since we are traveling with two small ones--2 and 5--I was trying to avoid layovers, especially long ones. We would all be very frazzled after that kind of traveling. That is why I was willing to pay more to go NW out of Memphis--nonstop, quick, simple. Was worth that at $280, not so sure if it is worth it at almost $400. Someone already kind of got on my case about being picky about my flight and then not wanting to pay the $$ and maybe it is true and if it is I'm sorry. I'm just trying to do what is best for traveling with two small children that haven't travelled much. That comes at a premium, I know, I just didn't realize it was going to be THAT kind of premium! If we can do SW RT for $200 but out of Tampa I think that is best.

WOULD ANYONE MIND HELPING ME?

Would any of you mind downloading the SW DING! program for my airports? I'm on dialup and it just doesn't work and I don't know of anybody else to ask that is able to do it. Or if you already have the DING! but don't need it right now because you already have tickets, maybe you could just change the airports to check for me for a few weeks? I hope that isn't alot to ask--but thought I'd give it a shot.
I need Birmingham, AL to MCO on the 10th and then Tampa back to BHM on the 18th.
If it pops up with something for me, you could just PM me or send me an email (or heck! call collect!) I try to check often as I'm at home all day with children.
I know they will start doing November DINGS anytime now.
Anyone?

Miatamel, Please do not fret. It will work out. What ever you do, please do not take what other's say to heart. They do not know your situation and they have not walked in your shoes. Good luck and we will see you in 44 day no matter what.

Select Departing Flight
Birmingham, AL to Orlando, FL (Friday, November 10 2006)

Depart Time: Before Noon Noon-6pm After 6pm Anytime Depart Date: Friday, Nov 10

Fares do not include government fees and taxes.
Flight Depart Arrive Stops Travel
Time
(hh:mm) Refundable
Anytime
$139 Special
Fares
$134 Restricted
Fares
$116 - $126 Advance
Purchase
$106 - $116 Fun
Fares
$96 - $106 Internet Unavailable for 2684
One-way
2684 10:20am 12:45pm N/S 01:25
557 3:45pm 6:10pm N/S 01:25
438/284 7:05pm 11:10pm BNA/1 03:05

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Select Departing Flight
Tampa Bay, FL to Birmingham, AL (Saturday, November 18 2006)

Depart Time: Before Noon Noon-6pm After 6pm Anytime Depart Date: Nov 18

Fares do not include government fees and taxes.
Flight Depart Arrive Stops Travel
Time
(hh:mm) Refundable
Anytime
$139 Special
Fares
$134 Restricted
Fares
$116 - $126 Advance
Purchase
$106 - $116 Fun
Fares
$96 - $106 Internet
One-way
$69 - $94
1565 6:55am 7:20am N/S 01:25
1929 2:25pm 2:55pm N/S 01:30

sw1.jpg

sw2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter