Nov. 17-Pin Trading Cruise-Who's Going?

Amber,
do you use felt material for your pin book or the craft foam?
This is my first attempt at this... The craft foam is so light weight that the pins almost seem to heavy wondering about the durability of the book... Please I would love to hear how you make your book...
How long have you been trading pins? I have only pin collecting for about a year....

well, wont be long now... Never been cruising in November how is the weather that time of the year... does anyone know...

I will also be on this cruise, which is my second DCL pin cruise. I am a pin regular and have been collecting for 20 years. All I can say is November has got to be an improvement over May. Dont get me wrong, I still had a great time, but in terms of a pin event it was very poorly run. To follow up on an earlier comment, the map pins, and surprise pin were not RSP so the lines every night to get them, and extra LE's was a mad rush from dinner (early seating), to stand in line to get pins, to rushing to the shows. Dont get me wrong, I am looking forward very much to the cruise. If pin trading fails me or the event is as poorly run again, there is so much to do on the cruise I wont miss the pins.
Stacey

Stacey,
sounds like you had a good time anyway... but sorry for the questions since I have never done this I am a little confused .... so you have different places on the ship to have your map stamped.. does that have to be done all in one day? or the length of the cruise... did you have to go to a certain place to get your pin? did you have to go to the store and show your completed map at a certain time?... I will be glad when more details come out... then maybe I wont bother you guys so much... I am just so excited... I know we will have a good time...

Cyndilou,
Yes there where different places on the ship were you went to get a stamp. You had to answer a question on the map to get the stamp. Then you went to Mickeys Mates and got the free completor pin by showing your completed map. You could also buy the other pins that go on the map. You could take your time with the map, didnt have to do it all in one day, but it was easy to complete in a hour or so. Mickeys Mates is only open during certain times, and not when in port. So thats what caused the mad dashes as I call them.

I noticed you are making your own pin bag. I use the rigid felt (Stiffened Eazy Felt) that comes in 12x18 sheets for mine. I fold the sheet in half and trim to fit the binder if neccessary and then punch holes in what are the two ends, to place in the binder.

Hope that answered some of your questions. Feel free to ask away if you have more.
Stacey

Cyndilou,
Yes there where different places on the ship were you went to get a stamp. You had to answer a question on the map to get the stamp. Then you went to Mickeys Mates and got the free completor pin by showing your completed map. You could also buy the other pins that go on the map. You could take your time with the map, didnt have to do it all in one day, but it was easy to complete in a hour or so. Mickeys Mates is only open during certain times, and not when in port. So thats what caused the mad dashes as I call them.

I noticed you are making your own pin bag. I use the rigid felt (Stiffened Eazy Felt) that comes in 12x18 sheets for mine. I fold the sheet in half and trim to fit the binder if neccessary and then punch holes in what are the two ends, to place in the binder.

Hope that answered some of your questions. Feel free to ask away if you have more.
Stacey

Another great idea that holds pins well is cork, which you can get at Target. I have the Disny pin books, but placed the cork in the zippered pockets. The pins are easily accessible that way. I just carry a ziplock bag with the pin backs in them. It works great! Funny on how many pin people were on the cruise that I didn't meet...but I was a newbie (still consider myself one) but getting better, and pretty much lurked until I found groups that I felt comfortable with...those sharks were scarry! Especially after I got bit!

I'm really looking forward to this...we should all plan on definately meeting up and making a trade!

Stephanie:Pinkbounc

thanks guys for the info... sounds fun sorta like a scavenger hunt
I know what you mean about the sharks. we spent a Week and Fort Wilderness and went to Downtown Disney and saw some serious trading in action.... I dont really know that much about the history of the pins.... I just know what I like and that is what I go by....

using cork sounds like a neat idea.... so you just use a piece in the back and the front of your book?

I will also have to look at the felt at the craft store... My craft foam worked better than I had thought... but it would not fit in a three whole punch... had to use a one hole punch because of the thickness... but I think I like the final product.... thanks for all the ideas....

Have you guys checked into any excursions?

Diffently have to meet and trade pins.... I am already looking for my lime green ribbon for the dis meet...
by the time Nov 17th gets here we will feel like old friends...
need to go check and see what the weather is that time of the year.

Hey Guys,
well I started shopping today for the cruise... I could not believe the sale they were having at Sears. I got thinking that in November all I will be able to find in the store would be winter clothes and we are gonna need some tropical attire... So I am glad I went... 50 - 75% off....
I am gonna have to go out and see what kind of parties are on the 4 day ... do they have 50's & 60's nights? Tropical Night? I guess I better go out and read some navigators...

So is everyone getting excited????

Hello, where are the Nov. 17th cruisers???
we need to keep this post up to the front so any new cruisers can add on and we can keep in touch....
look forward to hearing from you guys to hear what your plans are....

Keep in thouch... :Pinkbounc

Hi Cyndi and fellow 11/17 Cruisers!

Glad to see that you are getting ready already. I didn't even think about not having access to summer clothing in November! We didn't do any of the theme parties when we were there. With two days pre cruise and three day's post cruise, I have to maximize my luggage space! But I did see plenty of people dressed for the 70's night!

Made my ressies for the Beach Club Villas last week! Our first trip back to our home resort as DVC members!

Talk to you all soon!

Stephanie

hey Stephanie,
we did not do any of the themed parties last time either... we went to the 70's party just to see how people were dressed...
It was very entertaining... when I went to the store the other day it looked like the 70's are back by the look of the clothes...
I enjoy watching people... especially when they are having a good time....
Well, is it November yet.. I am really ready for a cruise...
been reading all the postings and cant decide if I want to swim with the Dolphins or have a nice spa treatment... what's ya'lls opinion...Have you guys planned an excursion yet...

May/Mik,
This is my first cruise I am a BIG sports fan so I only collect sports pins, but for a time I collected "Action Mickey" pins until I realized there were too many of them LOL. I am really looking forward to this cruise!!!!!!!

:jester: :cool: goofyguy:smooth: ;)

Welcome to DIS, stay atuned to this board and you will feel very prepared for the cruise!!

I bet after the cruise you will start collecting some kind of Disney pins again, it's very addicting.!!!

Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else posting here.

May,
Do you by chance have any children? My mom said that she was dreading this trip because she does not want to buy any more pins. LOL.

ttyl,
:jester: :smooth: goof :cool: ;)

Yes, I do have children, but they won't be going on the cruise with me. Dad and children will stay home.

HEY GUYS,
Can you believe it. only about 3 more months are you getting excited? I am READY !!!!
It sounds like our ship is going to be full....

talk with ya soon...

Full....but fun! So what are you all most looking forward to? I can't decide if its the Konk Cooler or the Glazed Pineapple in Parrot Cay??!?!?

Only 96 more days!!! But who's counting!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Stephanie and Ted

Hi Stephanie,
I think I am looking forward to that spa treatment.... not to mention finding that special pin what ever it is...
I am going to have to try that pineapple cake sounds good...

how about the rest of you what are you looking forward to...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter