Nothing like a non Disney trip to put MDE in perspective

jenrose66

DIS Veteran
My family just returned yesterday from a 2 night trip to Cedar Point. Traveling party was myself, DH, and 3 kids DS8, DS5, and DD3. My husband has been wanting to go to Cedar Point so we decided to try something different (and according to him cheaper, more on that later) for this Summer.

I know that Cedar Point is an amusement park and Disney is a theme park, but I'm going to compare them anyway. 1. I just read an article about a guy that used to work for Disney taking some big job with Cedar Fair, and 2. there is a lot of talk on these boards bashing Disney for a variety of things lately, I'm sympathetic to that and after my trip this past February felt a little Disney'd out with all the MDE smart phone nonsense.

So when we arrived at Cedar Point I was impressed with how clean the park and grounds were...straight down to the workers, who were well dressed, not sloppy in appearance at all. Cedar Point also seems to have some type of college program as well, since many of the workers were from other countries, I found that interesting. The flowers were pretty, everything was well kept and no overflowing garbage or trash on the ground. The bathrooms were also very clean.

We stayed onsite at Hotel Breakers. This was a very scenic place, right on the beach. Again, I found the room and grounds to be immaculately clean. The room was very old though. Incredibly. The furniture and carpet (not to mention the tube television) felt almost as old as me and I'm 32...It's not that it hampered the enjoyment of our stay, but for just shy of $300 a night they need to do a major refurb of the entire hotel. I did find all the staff to be very friendly. I would say that the only place that lacked cleanliness was the hotel pools and water park. The kids really wanted to go into the pool so we checked them out and they had algae floating in them and the water was cloudy. We left the pool area and went on the beach instead. There is something wrong with your pool when I'd rather swim in Lake Erie....The wave pool at the water park had the same problem....just gross.

Ok, so finally to the Disney part to keep this semi on topic! Disney has Cedar point beat for young family friendliness hands down...for a variety of reasons...especially for a family of 5. In all of Cedar Point's marketing materials they state how family friendly they are, however, I didn't find that to be the case outside of the dedicated kiddie ride areas. At Disney I'm used to my family being able to share a ride vehicle the majority of the time. This is impossible to do at Cedar Point. Most rides only allow 2 people....plus with the heights of my daughter and younger DS that would mean that DH and I had to be in a ride car with them and my older DS would have to ride alone which he wasn't going to do...at all. So this was a logistics nightmare.

Also, the entire park and beach area has popular music blaring...all the time...you can't escape it...I mean so loud it's impossible to hear anyone talk. I found it off putting. It's loud enough with the rides and people, we don't need music blaring. Turn it down!

They did have a childcare center which was just as nice as Disney. It was great because it was the only place I found in the entire park that is air conditioned. Also, they had actual paper towels in the bathroom. No other bathroom had this. I'm pretty sure they have hand towels in all the bathrooms at Disney. When you have a little kid that is either afraid of the turbo driers, or makes a mess on themselves and you want something more substantial than a napkin, you take them to the bathroom in hopes of a paper towel. By the end of our trip, I was getting really annoyed at the lack of paper towels.

So lets get back to the a/c issue. I know Cedar Point is in Ohio; but Summer is Summer and in Ohio Summer is hot. We were melting and there was no where to cool down. The shops were hot, the bathrooms were hot. I'm assuming the sit down places to eat were air conditioned, but we were already bleeding money so I didn't go inside any of those establishments.

I also noticed that their counter service places did not have kids meals. That made eating expensive.

Finally, DH and I split up at the water park. He took my older son to do some slides and I was with the little kids. At that point my DD decided she was hungry. I had no room key and no money and a crying kid. While that may have been poor planning on my part, how awesome if I would have had my magic band that I could have tapped for some french fries!

I missed Disney this entire trip. They get families. They get families so much that I think sometimes we forget how good they are until we go somewhere that isn't as family friendly. From the little things like plentiful a/c and paper towels in the bathroom, to bigger things, like truly being able to experience rides with a family...Disney can't be beat.

This trip was not cheap. For two nights in their hotel, food, gas to get there and a couple stuffed animals the cost was $1280. Food at Cedar Point was crazy expensive...like a small coffee at Starbucks in the hotel was $4. I found the food prices to be as expensive or more expensive than Disney. I know that a Disney vacation would have been more money, but it would have also been 8 days. I haven't done a complete analysis, but I think Cedar Point and Disney are close to the same price per day if I was to break it down.

I have seriously been considering an offsite trip and trying Universal next time we are in Florida. However, after my experience with Cedar Point, I don't think we will do that. I think, with the more thrilling type rides I would probably be facing the same issue with my family there as I did at Cedar Point.

Family vacations are done best at Disney and going somewhere besides Disney has solidified to me that our family's vacation dollars will be spent at Disney for many years to come.

That's a thoughtful post.

The PROBLEM with the premise is,
Disney was ALWAYS the better vacation choice for families.

It's just that they have now seriously DEGRADED that experience
by arbitrarily forcing a glitchy, heavy-handed, complex MDE onto their guests.

A step (giant LEAP) in the wrong direction.

And the fact that cedar point has some of the best roller coasters in the world. :)

I agree. I didn't like using MDE in the parks. I felt like I was staring at my phone much more than I wanted to.

And the fact that cedar point has some of the best roller coasters in the world. :)

They sure do and I rode all the ones they had when I went as a single and carefree person 12 years ago.

This time, with 3 hot kids who either weren't tall enough or were too scared to ride, I went on exactly ZERO roller coasters :( My DH did make his way onto the Millennium Force though...

Cedar Point is an amusement park, not a Theme Park... Different experiences completely. However, I do understand your general thesis here.

Great post. Just want to say that if anyone is unhappy with the way Disney Parks are now then they should go to other parks like the OP did to put things in perspective, Disney do not have the monopoly on family fun you know. I still cannot understand why people have such problems with MDE, I'm 50 years old, I still can't work out how to answer the smartphone I've had for a year and I kid you not on that (I need to re read the instructions) yet, I found MDE, FP+ and all that a complete breeze, go back to the old paper FP, no thank you. UK theme and amusement parks are hideously expensive, so much so that on a day to day basis I get better value flying to Orlando and doing two weeks in WDW.

So lets get back to the a/c issue. I know Cedar Point is in Ohio; but Summer is Summer and in Ohio Summer is hot. We were melting and there was no where to cool down. The shops were hot, the bathrooms were hot. I'm assuming the sit down places to eat were air conditioned, but we were already bleeding money so I didn't go inside any of those establishments.

I am guessing that a lot of the Disney ticket price funds a/c. The shops are deliciously cold, with people constantly holding the door open. Tons of icy cold air vanishing into the Florida wilderness. I can't imagine what their monthly electric bill is.

I agree. I didn't like using MDE in the parks. I felt like I was staring at my phone much more than I wanted to.

To all the people moaning about having to spend so much time staring at their phones because of FP+ etc. Be honest how much time did you spend on your phones updating you Facebook page, adding photos to Instagram, checking texts and voicemail and so on. It seemed to me people spent more time doing that than enjoying what was going on around them. They were literally stepping off rides checking their phone screens, I got fed up of screens on in darkened attractions like One Man And His Dream and wandering around crowded parks busily staring down thumbs going nuts typing stuff. So many parents were more content staring at their screen than enjoying the company of their kids, bah! So the argument about having to spend your time staring at phones because of MDE and FP+, puh-lease!

Cedar Point is an amusement park, not a Theme Park... Different experiences completely.

I understand that. I went in knowing that Cedar Point isn't Disney. However they still tout themselves as a great place for families. So I compared the two on the basis of a family vacation and for my family Disney won hands down. Even my non Disney loving husband agreed :)

Cedar Point is a great park though. My family will return but not until dd is at least 48 inches tall ;)

Cedar Point is an amusement park, not a Theme Park... Different experiences completely.

In fairness to the OP she did make that point, however I do get where you are coming from. An amusement park is, at most, a day or two's trip, Disney is a holiday, for us 2-3 weeks. We've done Amusement parks, usually a day at a time, and DW hates them, suffers them for the kids, but in Disney she loves it, all of it, even the rides (though not as much as the rest of us). We go there, forget the outside world, and enjoy our holiday. All the FP+/MDX we haven't experienced yet, so I'll reserve judgement on it, but I think it will suit us better than most. We like to lie-in and chill on holidays, and though we will do the odd early morning, it will be the odd one. It will be nice to do TSMM and others without being up at the crack of dawn or queueing for hours. We might not get as many rides as we did before, but hey, rides aren't everything :thumbsup2

Yep. It's little comfort to me that other parks offer a lesser experience. I know they do--that's why I've been giving my $ to WDW for the past 11 trips. The issue for me is the lesser experience I'm having at WDW.

If my vacation experience is degraded to the point that WDW is not the best choice compared to other options--not just amusement parks--I'll move my vacation $ to those other options. I doubt Disney's shareholders will revolt. ;) But the fact that other parks aren't as good as WDW, even in its current state, won't keep me around.

To all the people moaning about having to spend so much time staring at their phones because of FP+ etc. Be honest how much time did you spend on your phones updating you Facebook page, adding photos to Instagram, checking texts and voicemail and so on. It seemed to me people spent more time doing that than enjoying what was going on around them. They were literally stepping off rides checking their phone screens, I got fed up of screens on in darkened attractions like One Man And His Dream and wandering around crowded parks busily staring down thumbs going nuts typing stuff. So many parents were more content staring at their screen than enjoying the company of their kids, bah! So the argument about having to spend your time staring at phones because of MDE and FP+, puh-lease!

I am not on my phone when I am spending time with my kids. I did not use my phone one time over our weekend vacation :)

To all the people moaning about having to spend so much time staring at their phones because of FP+ etc. Be honest how much time did you spend on your phones updating you Facebook page, adding photos to Instagram, checking texts and voicemail and so on.

Honestly?

None.

Yep. It's little comfort to me that other parks offer a lesser experience. I know they do--that's why I've been giving my $ to WDW for the past 11 trips. The issue for me is the lesser experience I'm having at WDW.

If my vacation experience is degraded to the point that WDW is not the best choice compared to other options--not just amusement parks--I'll move my vacation $ to those other options. I doubt Disney's shareholders will revolt. ;) But the fact that other parks aren't as good as WDW, even in its current state, won't keep me around.

I would agree with that. Plus with the price of a Disney vacation my family may not make it there yearly anymore...but on the years we don't go we will be saving for Disney and having fun at local places.

I'm just surprised at how a weekend (and a very expensive weekend at that) really made me much more forgiving towards mde and fp+.

We live close enough to Carowinds (a Cedar Fair park) that we have season passes. Every time we go we're reminded of how well Disney does it. For every employee that is friendly we run in to two with bad attitudes at Carowinds. We also run into the problem that, outside of the kids' area, there are very few rides we can all ride together. Also, DH and I looked into going without the kids and getting their "Fast Lane" passes to get on the coasters faster and they were $45 each. That's almost half the cost of a season pass! We typically try to get there at park open and leave around lunch time when it starts getting busy but the only reason we continue to get season passes is because the kids love it and we can get our coaster fix. At least once a visit, though, DH and I look and each other and say "We need to get back to Disney"!

Thank you for a thoughtful comparison.

I was discussing FP+ with a friend who just returned, and they loved it. They, like us, have small children. While you thrill riders were standing in longer standby lines at rope drop, they were riding the family rides more easily. I know that has always been the case, but they felt it took much longer for the lines to fill since people were tied up in the headliners for longer. I can see that.

There are winners and losers with everything. I feel like families like us are the winners. I don't have to round up three kids and push two strollers across the park or leave my family to collect fastpasses anymore. I don't have to closely watch return times so that they don't interfere with nap time. I don't have to put my little kids in the dangerous craziness of the rope drop crowd just to ride a headliner first thing. I can now hang back, see a character or something, let the craziness subside, and still walk on at 9:10 am.

Glitches are frustrating. I get it. I lost several ADRs due to a glitch, one being an 8 am Crystal Palace. I had one person's FP+ split up and changed for some unknown reason, and was unable to get 7DMT back. I wish Disney was better at this, but they are no worse than any other corporation I've dealt with. New technology is complex and has a sharp learning curve these days, and the users are the guinea pigs. I've just come to accept it as the world we live in now.

Is Disney the same as it used to be? No. Is it the value it used to be? No. But replace Disney with any other word and the answers almost always remain the same. I still feel like WDW is pretty darn good.

I am guessing that a lot of the Disney ticket price funds a/c. The shops are deliciously cold, with people constantly holding the door open. Tons of icy cold air vanishing into the Florida wilderness. I can't imagine what their monthly electric bill is.

If your WDW trip is over around 5 days or so the ticket price, if Cedar point wasn't having what appears to be a fire sale right now, is about the same.

The bigger issue is that WDW has a year round schedule so they have a much longer season. Frankly I'm not sure how Cedar Point can be that big that far north and only be open half the year.

Same with updating the hotel, there just isn't enough cash coming in to rehab the place, just enough to keep it up.

I too did a one day trip to Cedar point with my sons and their friends. What I got out of the trip, besides major bruising, was that they were really pushing their Fast Lane fast past. Outside every big ride there was a person selling chances to win a Fast lane pass by playing plinko. So for $5 you could try to win a pass, cool. Until you now realize that it pretty much means now everyone in your party has to buy a pass. Very sneaky sis. :scratchin :lmao:

Unfortunately this is SOOOO true. I am a die hard Disney fan but this new system has taken them in the wrong direction. Keeping hope alive that they will get things worked out soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter