• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Note to people who stand on the Disney Transport busses:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guilty of this. I'm not sure if people can tell why I do it or not.
I'm 4'10" and I just cannot hold on to the high straps so I stand where I can hold. I decided this was a better idea after the bus ride where I gave my seat to an older lady, then fell on top of her when the bus stopped quickly. Luckily she was okay. I do try to move so people can easily go around me when I stop before the "end".

OP, this is a touchy subject for many, as are many other seemingly innocent topics around here.

I'm at WDW...my happy place, so I try to believe that people have a valid reason why they do some of the things they do. As for me and my family, if you see us on a crowded bus, we'll most likely be standing. There will be 8 of us, ranging in age from 14-50. We're all able bodied and able to stand and routinely give up our seats to anyone who appears to have a greater need.

Our family code of bus honor is that all males give up their seats to any females. Yes, I realize that's chauvinist, but we're funny that way. All younger females give up their seats to any woman who appears to be significantly older than they are or is holding a small child (man or woman) or is otherwise infirmed in any way. Lucky me, as the oldest female, I get to sit unless there is someone who looks even older (and that happens less every year!) than me or with the same exceptions that apply for the younger females in our group.

I must say though that sometimes when I'm standing, I can't reach the straps that some of the buses have. So if I'm by a pole, I might choose not to move to a spot where I have nothing to hold onto.

Experience has taught me that not everyone goes by our same code and that’s fine. I don’t judge them for that, but we also don‘t change our rules just because others don’t share them. At the end of the day, we're happy just having stayed true to our own honor system.

OP, this is a touchy subject for many, as are many other seemingly innocent topics around here.

I'm at WDW...my happy place, so I try to believe that people have a valid reason why they do some of the things they do. As for me and my family, if you see us on a crowded bus, we'll most likely be standing. There will be 8 of us, ranging in age from 14-50. We're all able bodied and able to stand and routinely give up our seats to anyone who appears to have a greater need.

Our family code of bus honor is that all males give up their seats to any females. Yes, I realize that's chauvinist, but we're funny that way. All younger females give up their seats to any woman who appears to be significantly older than they are or is holding a small child (man or woman) or is otherwise infirmed in any way. Lucky me, as the oldest female, I get to sit unless there is someone who looks even older (and that happens less every year!) than me or with the same exceptions that apply for the younger females in our group.

I must say though that sometimes when I'm standing, I can't reach the straps that some of the buses have. So if I'm by a pole, I might choose not to move to a spot where I have nothing to hold onto.

Experience has taught me that not everyone goes by our same code and that’s fine. I don’t judge them for that, but we also don‘t change our rules just because others don’t share them. At the end of the day, we're happy just having stayed true to our own honor system.

I was raised with the same manners. Only DD gets her own seat unless the bus fills up and there are children, elders or mothers holding children standing. Then I'll give them her seat and pull her on my lap - which gets harder every year. She's entitled to her seat like any other passenger, and I won't make her give it up for just any adult. DH will usually give his up and stand next to us, because if he moved all the way to the back people wouldn't move out of the way when we came to our stop so he could carry DD off the bus. He considers that an honor just like the daddy/daughter dance in front of the castle.^^

I can appreciate the frustration of the OP. Thank you for editing your post. I personally do not sit while on a disney bus. I feel very uncomfortable sitting when there are people who probably need the seat more that I do. Due to the fact that we have two young children and that they are very tired at the end of a day, I may or may not move back from my family. We usually have some "gear" with us and it is much too difficult to rearrange ourselves. If someone wants to move past me, that is terrific.

Ok, I got a story...

I got on a bus that there was only one seat left, about halfway back the bus. So, I let my two sons share that one seat (the older one sat down and the younger sat on his lap, it was fine.) I stood right in front on them and held the railing. Others started to get on and fill the bus. This guy stood beside me and clogged up the walkway. This extremely awful nasty woman started yelling at me to move back the bus. I said "No, these are my children right here, I am not going to move." And, get this, she mumbled under her breath "B***H". Can YOU BELIEVE THAT? I said "WHAT?" The women sitting beside my boys, put her hand on my hand and said, "Sweetie, it is not worth it." :laughing: "That woman has no morals."

So, I guess what I'm saying is that. There is sometimes a very good reason why someone would not move back the bus. ;)

I understand what the OP is trying to get at but I, too, stay with my children. I let them have the seat with the older holding the younger on his lap. But I do lean over so it's obvious to other passengers that I'm staying where I am but they are more than welcome to pass me.

Debbie

Our first trip back after 20 years was an eye opener!

On our first trip back - We stayed at POR. All the trips I had previously been on was stays at the Poly in 1980's. Crowds were considerably less then, and NEVER did I remember rude behavior I witnessed on the buses this trip.

We stayed to park closing one night, and I had to sit on the dirty floor of a bus...With my then 3yo daughter - because I had nothing to hold onto, and no one was offering up any seating - NOT that Im allowed to expect that decency - I KNOW - I have heard people rant on that topic - but I digress.

My autistic son had to stand as well. Both children overtired, and grumpy. As any parent of small children will share, this scenario is an accident waiting to happen. FActor in my son's special needs and let me say, this was the most UNMAGICAL way to be reintroduced to MK.

As more people were let on I was shuffled ALONG THE FLOOR of the buss.....all the while people looking down their noses at me.

When the bus started moving, several people stepped on my son...bumped into him...sending him into a scriptfest. Which now - in addition to everything else - I get to deal with the ignorant looks and comments and stares about *his* behavior. Not to mention all the *kind* guests that almost fell on me and my then 3yo daughter. As my daughter started to cry that she was scared...guests looked blankly at me and her.

So staying on the topic of "moving back" like the cattle that we obviously are to disney.......I say cut your fellow man a break if they are sitting with small children with their BUT on the nasty floor of a bus. All humanity is gone at park closing.

From that experience - I have concluded that NO AMOUNT of fireworks, parades etc., are WORTH staying until park closing. Its THAT BAD in my opinion. Never again. The buses at closing are NOT magical. Walt would be ashamed.

HERE's an Idea - why dont we SIC the NEW magical CMO on this topic!

May I ask why not? You are all still on the same bus; you will all likely know to get off at the same stop. Is there a particular reason that you are unwilling to move thirty or forty feet away from where they are safely seated?

As for sending the proper number of busses, well, they can't send what they haven't got.

Yes-there is a particular reason. I want to stay with MY FAMILY, I am on vacation with MY FAMILY. We have already condensed 3 seats to 1, isn't that courtesy enough? MY FAMILY likes to discuss what we did for the day, it is also time to discuss what we are going to do tomorrow. My wife also does not like tight, crowded areas, and the kid just likes to have his daddy close. Do I need to explain any other reason why????

But you don't have to worry about the 3 of us anymore, we take our own transportation, the Disney system is a complete joke.

Chivalry is NOT Dead! Wow you are my hero!;) :cloud9:

We stayed to park closing one night, and I had to sit on the dirty floor of a bus...With my then 3yo daughter

My autistic son had to stand as well.

No one has to sit on the floor of the bus. We've waited for the next bus to arrive when it is obvious that the seats will all be taken before we get on the bus. While it may take another 10-15 minutes for the next bus to arrive, it's worth the extra time for me to have a seat when my leg and hip are acting up. Just another option to sitting on the floor.

No one has to sit on the floor of the bus. We've waited for the next bus to arrive when it is obvious that the seats will all be taken before we get on the bus. While it may take another 10-15 minutes for the next bus to arrive, it's worth the extra time for me to have a seat when my leg and hip are acting up. Just another option to sitting on the floor.

Thanks for that clarification - I know this now but as a new guest - I had no way to GAUGE whether I would be sitting on the floor...I ASSUMED incorrectly there would be room. Not to mention the kids were very tired, as well as mom, and wanted to get out of line and back to our hotel...as everyone does....I did *not* know what I was in for...had I known...I would have waited.

I would think the BUS driver might have been more well equipped to not let too many guests on....but then again that would be assuming that they actually have safety guidelines for this...which clearly they do not.

It was a terrible terrible experience. and the bus driver did nothing to make it better...yelling and screaming at the "guests" the entire ride.:confused:

I haven't read all the posts before mine..most were saying pretty much the same thing. I 'think' the OP is complaining about a certain group of standees. There are those who are standing, and don't want to move all the way back, because they want to be with their kids. Fine. Then, there are those who just stop and refuse to go back any further because they don't want to be 'cheek to cheek' with a stranger. Fine again. I get both those mentalities. But....how about if you won't move, for whatever reason, you stand sideways, so that others can move past you....so that the driver can see that there is more space behind you. There is no need to stand there, hands up on either side of you, holding onto bars on each side, as your huge Disney shopping bag is swinging back and forth..usually hitting someone in the face.

Just turn sideways, hold onto one bar or handle (whatever), and let others get past you. It's all really simple...common courtesy is all it is.

When we were on the bus not too many adults would get up for my small children. :confused3 My 3 year old did have to stand at one point so I had to make him sit on the floor. We did have to stand in the front of the bus because my children couldn't hold on to the handles that were made for adults but we did let the other people get by so they can stand at the back of the bus.

We were very lucky that the busses were this crowded only a handfull of times.

It's so nice to see other people that still pratice this :thumbsup2 , this is also the way I was brought up and the way I am bringing up my children. I am very strick with my children when it comes to teaching them respect for their elders and manners.

OP, don't apologize for your opinion. The people posting on here that they are offended know that although SOME of the people who refuse to move may have a justified reason for standing in one spot, MORE than less are just being selfish and simply do not want to move. I have witnessed people wanting to be close to the exit doors cause they are in such a hurry to get off the bus at their stop. I mean come on, its a vacation. I get that you may have screaming kids or a deadline to get to but seriously, there are far more rude people than those being polite. I mean look around, most of them are posting here. :lmao:

And this is why I always drive a car. After the one time of seeing the nonsense that occurs unnecessarily on the Disney transit, I will pass thank you.

Generally speaking, I find it humerous that many people feel that no child who can physically walk should not use a stroller, but by goodness when it comes time for a bus, they're small and young enough that they don't deserve their own seat.:confused3

I guess I view the whole 'child in their own seat' differently than most. My DD is 7 and I find it pretty hard to hold her on my lap. I also find it makes it cramped and uncomfortable for those sitting next to us. I personally prefer that she sit in a seat vs flying all over the bus at every turn and corner and stand and let her sit in my spot instead if given the option. Unless we are lined up in the middle of the seats that sit 2 forward on either side where she can hold the bar on the seats, it's hard for her to hold the bars on the busses enough to travel in what I feel is a safe manner for her. (Heck, it's hard for me half the time!)

IF we are on a bus and the it would benefit the other passengers by having her stand or sit on a lap WITHOUT making it more difficult for them or putting her in what I feel is an unsafe situation, then I have no problem whatsoever and will do so immediately. But if it means that if I'm struggling to hold on to something and then to her as well, or it cramps us and those around us to the point of being VERY uncomfortable, then I won't .

I know people are tired and want to sit, but if you're not disabled or injured, you dont have to, nor do your children.

My girls are 7 and 8 and my mother and i have always had them sit on our laps. We are not disabled and could all stand, but I am not going to have my 2 daughters who weigh less than 45 pounds stand up. That is not even a thought in my mind. Even when i stand i sometimes can't hold on well enough. If i do stand, i am standing with my family. My 7 year old tires easily and always falls asleep on the ride back at the end of the night. Once she is out, she doesn't wake up. When i stay with my family I can make the departing process quicker by just bending and picking up rather than moving up to the front stopping and then doing it. When you have children, its not all black and white .

My 'fave thing' (sarcasm) is when people let little kids have their own seats when the busses are full instead of putting them on their laps. I'm talking small enough children who easily can sit with a parent and who most definitely do not need a whole seat to themselves, especially when there's an elderly person who has to stand.

I saw more of this last week, than I ever have on any other trip. It disgusted me, really. We saw pregnant women standing, on another trip, a man standing up holding a sleeping toddler and the stroller, all while little children occupied a seat next to their oblivious parent.:confused3

Note to self: Link to this thread whenever someone argues that my practice of always having a rental car is not the best method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter