Not thrilled with the way WDW handles ECVs at MK

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by aubriee, Sep 9, 2012.

1. ShhhQ

ShhhQ DIS Veteran

Had to cut previous post short due to the bus arriving at resort.
    Potc makes you park next to the entrance, which Is no where near the exit, but does not offer any alternatives to those unable to walk the long distance to the ride and then back to your ecv after exiting the ride. Unless you have someone to push you in a wc... Which I didn't! I have since heard there is an alternative route or there are runners who will help you. However this was not my case, I actually got the cold shoulder from the cm that I talked to...no offers to help! And when I was exiting the gift shop on my way back the shopkeepers almost shut the gates on me In their hurry to close as I hobbled out.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. iuki

iuki Mouseketeer

4. AlexDurrani

AlexDurrani Mouseketeer

There are a number of bus drivers that I have encountered that do not have common sense. What Disney should do if they will not allow the bus driver to ask a guest to vacate seats set aside for the wheelchairs/ECVs to be locked in, then they should remove the signs that ask that the guests please make available the seats for the handicap guests to sit in. I had one bus at the POR resort pull up to a bus stop full of guests and ecv's (at least 2) and instead of opening up his doors at the curb he opens them up away from the curb and all the able body guests just pretty much rushed the bus and got on. Yes it wasn't necessarily the drivers fault for the mob but his timing would eventually cause headaches to come about.

As other posters have mentioned, there is really not set in stone rule that defines how a CM will handle requests. It's at their discretion regarding how they handle requests.

5. disney david

disney david DIS Veteran

Disney by federal law has to have the signs posted on the bus just like every other bus in public transportion. Disney dose not stop the driver from asking you just have some bad apples. Another problem is Disney dose not always back the driver so if a guest complains they may get in trouble.

6. Michigan

Michigan Mom of the Rolling Crew

I have 2 daughters that are paralyzed from the waist down and the only rides they are restricted from doing is the people mover, merry-go-round and Peter Pan. However if you ask at the end of the night if you can be the last ride of the night they stop the moving walkway after the last person is off and they can then get on and ride with the CM's when they do their run through check.

7. aubriee

aubriee <font color=brown><marquee>Chocolate always makes

She's never needed a GAC card in the past. Just the CMs seeing her ECV has always been enough. The first two CMs at Haunted Mansion both said it wasn't a problem avoiding the strecthing room, using that back hallway, or stopping the moving walkway. It was the third CM (and the fourth that joined him) that was so mean. He said she had no choice but to go through the stretching room with her ECV, make her way through the crowd in the dark, and that they no longer used the back hallway or stopped the belt to let people on and if she couldn't get on like everybody else, then she probably would not be able to ride. We tried to explain that her eyes did not adjust to darkness very well and she would not be safe in that crowd, but he said that was her only choice if she wanted to ride.

I agree! My mom turned 79 y/o the day after we left down there, but she still gets around fairly well here at home with a cane. She even still drives and has never had a wreck, but she never, ever drives at night. There is no restriction on her driver license, but she knows she can't see well at night, so doesn't drive at night. Coming out of the bright sunlight into the darkness inside Haunted Mansion, there is no way her eyes could adjust. She would not be safe in that crowd with the darkness and since they refused to let her use the back hallway to avoid the crowd (plus refused to stop the moving belt) we just didn't get to ride.

Actually we've never had a problem at MK before, nor did we have a single problem at any of the other parks this time. It just seemed like we ran into one bad CM after another that particular day at MK.:confused3

8. Talking Hands

Talking Hands <font color=purple><b>|,,|/</b> DEAF DISNEY LOVER<

I think one of the reasons I get less of a hassle is because I am in a personal power wheelchair and not a scooter(ecv). I have not been asked to park outside and walk 200 ft and they do stop the belt for me at HM. I am not comfortable driving in the regular line because it is just plain chaos. Not a line at all. Low light makes it impossible to see feet and others tend to bump into the controller causing the w/c to move in unexpectantly. Not safe for other guests. If I have a companion they can position themselves to protect the controller. Too bad if I am alone.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards