Not sure what to do for Xmas day now??

digman6

DIS Veteran
I keep hearing how teribble the parks are on Xmas day. Well dh wants to be there all day its our last day there.

I have us booked for Ohana breakfast at 8am and dinner at CP at 5:30pm.

Here is my question with kids ages 11,8,5,and 2 when we go, should I change my ADR for CP to lunch if I can and have dinner outside the park and then return to the park if they want to OR should I keep it as it is ??

Would I be able to get into the park say after dinner time???

I just am a lose of what to do. I don't want to be there all day and our kids be miserable from the crowds our last day.

Based on reading all the Xmas day info on this site this is what I would do.

Get up very early and eat at CP first thing..if I cannot get in there I would just to CS at the resort or try to get into Kona as early as possible.

I would not leave the park for dinner because you are risking not being able to get back in. I would do CS for dinner if you eat at CP for breakfast or Tonys or LTT. (DH would want CP again for dinner :lmao: :lmao: )

This will be our first Christmas at WDW, so I cannot comment on personal experience. However, a friend of mine has been to WDW over 28 times with a large number of these being during Christmas week. I had a lot of the same questions, so I asked her.

She has stated that she has never experienced closed gates when her family has lefted the park and gone back. She also mentioned if you have ASRs, you can show your reservation number for dinner and will be allowed back into the park because these folks are already included in the count. Also, if you were there in the morning and got a hand stamp before you left, you are also included in the count.

We will be at MK during EMH Christmas Day and with DD3 we will have to go back to the resort for a nap. We have an ASR for dinner, so I am counting on this getting us back in.

Has anyone else had a different experience?

Are you staying at a reaort that evening, or will you be leaving WDW on Christmas day?

We have not been there at Christmas before and since this is our first time I've been on Disney message boards A LOT. I've read more than a couple times that going early, leaving and then trying to get back in isn't good idea. Chances are it will be filled and you won't be able to get back in on Christmas. I personally wouldn't chance it. I'd just stay there whole day. The only change I'd try to make is changing breakfast ADR to somewhere in MK or just eating at your resort as easrly as possible so we could get to MK as early as possible.

I was also told that it didn't matter if you had dining ressie in MK if park was filled you couldn't get in, it doesn't matter if you have ADR there.

We have not been there at Christmas before and since this is our first time I've been on Disney message boards A LOT. I've read more than a couple times that going early, leaving and then trying to get back in isn't good idea. Chances are it will be filled and you won't be able to get back in on Christmas. I personally wouldn't chance it. I'd just stay there whole day.
Take it from me, I have gone to WDW between Christmas and New Years every single year (except one) since 1999. Even on the busiest of NYE's 99/00 at Epcot we left the park for a rest and returned with no problem. Even when we were at the MK for NYE (2 years in a row) we left the park for a rest and returned with no problem. There is absolutely NO REASON to wear yourself out by staying in the parks all day long unless that is your usual touring style. I love and adore crowds, but the ones at WDW between Christmas and New Year's are brutal. I personally need the escape and the rest at my resort since we are often out late and up early. As long as you plan on returning around dinnertime (6:00ish) you should be fine. The Magic Kingdom does close in the afternoon, but it clears out a bit after the parade.

FWIW, this does not apply to off-site guests. The parking lots close way before the parks do and you may not be able to park you car when you try to return.

Take it from me, I have gone to WDW between Christmas and New Years every single year (except one) since 1999. Even on the busiest of NYE's 99/00 at Epcot we left the park for a rest and returned with no problem. Even when we were at the MK for NYE (2 years in a row) we left the park for a rest and returned with no problem. There is absolutely NO REASON to wear yourself out by staying in the parks all day long unless that is your usual touring style. I love and adore crowds, but the ones at WDW between Christmas and New Year's are brutal. I personally need the escape and the rest at my resort since we are often out late and up early. As long as you plan on returning around dinnertime (6:00ish) you should be fine. The Magic Kingdom does close in the afternoon, but it clears out a bit after the parade.

FWIW, this does not apply to off-site guests. The parking lots close way before the parks do and you may not be able to park you car when you try to return.

I have only been to WDW once over Xmas/New Years week, but we left on New Years Eve and tried to get back in later that night (around 9pm-ish). We were denied stating that the park was filled to capacity. We had a hand-stamp and even explained that some of our party was still in the park.

Might depend on which park you were at during the day. We were in the Magic Kingdom and that is where we tried to return. No luck. This was back on 1996 (turning 1997).

Nice CMs in the Magic Kingdom the next day gave us all an extra day on our tickets since we didn't get to use the full day.

As an aside, we were staying off-site (the only time we've done so) but we were told it wasn't the parking lot that was full, but the park itself.

This will be our first Christmas at WDW, so I cannot comment on personal experience. However, a friend of mine has been to WDW over 28 times with a large number of these being during Christmas week. I had a lot of the same questions, so I asked her.

She has stated that she has never experienced closed gates when her family has lefted the park and gone back. She also mentioned if you have ASRs, you can show your reservation number for dinner and will be allowed back into the park because these folks are already included in the count. Also, if you were there in the morning and got a hand stamp before you left, you are also included in the count.

We will be at MK during EMH Christmas Day and with DD3 we will have to go back to the resort for a nap. We have an ASR for dinner, so I am counting on this getting us back in.

Has anyone else had a different experience?

You have been grossly misinformed. The parks regularly close their gates on Xmas Day, especially MK. In fact, every Xmas that we have been there, MK's gates were closed at some time during the day or evening. Indeed, the last time we were there, the gates closed to day visitors before 9:30 am. An ADR will not get you into the parks if they are closed (this was confirmed the last time we were there). Generally, and I underline generally, the gates do not close to on-site guests for the entire day but they have been known to close for several hours at a time.

I have only been to WDW once over Xmas/New Years week, but we left on New Years Eve and tried to get back in later that night (around 9pm-ish). We were denied stating that the park was filled to capacity. We had a hand-stamp and even explained that some of our party was still in the park.

Might depend on which park you were at during the day. We were in the Magic Kingdom and that is where we tried to return. No luck. This was back on 1996 (turning 1997).

Nice CMs in the Magic Kingdom the next day gave us all an extra day on our tickets since we didn't get to use the full day.

As an aside, we were staying off-site (the only time we've done so) but we were told it wasn't the parking lot that was full, but the park itself.
Bummer :(. Did they deny you entrance to the parking lot then? Or at the gate?

I read this many years ago on the old rec.arts.disney.parks newsgroup:

Defcon 0: normal operations
Defcon 1: (not used)
Defcon 2: parking lot closes
Defcon 3: ticket sales alerted not to sell for today's entry
Defcon 4: park hoppers re-entering at MK & resort guests only
Defcon 5: re-entering MK guests & resort guests only
Defcon 6: re-entering MK guests only
Defcon 7: closed

I wonder if it was because you were not a resort guest of because you waited too until too late to re-enter and it was filled up again. Hmmm ... We always have dinner reservations so we re-enter between 5 and 7 PM.

For the last eleven years, we have gone to WDW between Christmas and New Years. Yes, it is true that the parks close. Yes, it is true that the parking lots close. But, if you are a WDW resort guest and you are taking WDW transportation, you are allowed into the parks. This is one of the perks of being a resort guest. We have learned many short cuts/alternate routes during this week. The busses often have to do some very creative driving to get to the parks on Christmas Day and New Years Day.

You have been grossly misinformed. The parks regularly close their gates on Xmas Day, especially MK. In fact, every Xmas that we have been there, MK's gates were closed at some time during the day or evening. Indeed, the last time we were there, the gates closed to day visitors before 9:30 am. An ADR will not get you into the parks if they are closed (this was confirmed the last time we were there). Generally, and I underline generally, the gates do not close to on-site guests for the entire day but they have been known to close for several hours at a time.

For the last eleven years, we have gone to WDW between Christmas and New Years. Yes, it is true that the parks close. Yes, it is true that the parking lots close. But, if you are a WDW resort guest and you are taking WDW transportation, you are allowed into the parks. This is one of the perks of being a resort guest. We have learned many short cuts/alternate routes during this week. The busses often have to do some very creative driving to get to the parks on Christmas Day and New Years Day.
THANK YOU!:goodvibes
I started second guessing myself. I thought I read the park has closed on Christmas before. Guess staying on Disney property does have its perks!:)

THANK YOU!:goodvibes
I started second guessing myself. I thought I read the park has closed on Christmas before. Guess staying on Disney property does have its perks!:)
You missed this quote:

The Magic Kingdom does close in the afternoon, but it clears out a bit after the parade.

WOW ! thanks for so many responses!:thumbsup2

I figured if we got up and ate at Ohana's in the morning we could be at MK fairly fast with the monorail. figuring probably about 9:15. I would think I can still get in ??? I am staying at POR and we go home the next day.

I wonder with eatting at 8am and then at 5:30, will I have much trouble getting a counter meal ??? I hear the lines are VERY VERY long so long you can not tell the line from people just walking around:scared1: :scared:

Sounds like I better plan to stay at the park that day , just incase.

Does anyone know if there is place that is a good relaxing resting spot there??? I am not looking for luxury by any means just a place to put feet up and chill out a bit, I don't want to take up chairs at counter meals-if I can even find one for that matter!

maybe I should ADR a lunch spot and then I know i will be sitting someplace to eat:lmao: :confused:

maybe I should ADR a lunch spot and then I know i will be sitting someplace to eat:lmao: :confused:
:laughing: Glad I'm not alone because I was thinking the EXACT same thing!! Might just be a nice break from the crowds. We'll be there Christmas morning too.:santa:

You are incorrect. Disney guarantees that on-site guests will get into A PARK, but not necessarily the one that they choose. This, too, has happened when we were there. Typically, the park that remains open for on-site guests is AK because it generally has the lowest attendance. On-site guests can and have been denied admission to the parks even via WDW transportation. You can get to the gate (unlike other guests) but if the park is at capacity, you will not be let in.

Well I decided after hearing all this and with young kids I booked lunch . then I know I have a place to actually sit down and eat a meal and everyones legs get rest.

The time frames for lunch and dinner are close BUT I have time to see if my dinner can be a little bit later then it is now.

Breakfast at Ohana's at 8:05 am

LTT lunch at 1:15pm

Crystal Palace at 5:30pm

Again I know they are close but I can hope for something at dinner at like6:30-7pm. If not well then I know our lunch will be lite and dinner will be normal

I would hate to get there and find I can not eat lunch with out a 1-2 hr wait

Anyone looking for lunch at LTT12/25 she had openings from 1:15 on at least for 6 people

You will have a hard time finding a "relaxing" spot in MK on Christmas day, but if you need to rest I would recommend a couple good turns on the CoP. But then again if the song gets to you :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1 I suggest my personal favorite..... there is nothing like taking the TTA five or six times in a row. great relaxation and a nice 30 minute break. Just ask the CM to let you stay on. they will let you. Heck ask them to bring you some food for the next time you come back around... doubt it will work but worth the shot.

You will have a hard time finding a "relaxing" spot in MK on Christmas day, but if you need to rest I would recommend a couple good turns on the CoP. But then again if the song gets to you :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1 I suggest my personal favorite..... there is nothing like taking the TTA five or six times in a row. great relaxation and a nice 30 minute break. Just ask the CM to let you stay on. they will let you. Heck ask them to bring you some food for the next time you come back around... doubt it will work but worth the shot.

Very good suggestion!:thanks: I bet that will be very relaxing for them if they fall asleep even better:thumbsup2

Well I decided after hearing all this and with young kids I booked lunch . then I know I have a place to actually sit down and eat a meal and everyones legs get rest.

The time frames for lunch and dinner are close BUT I have time to see if my dinner can be a little bit later then it is now.

Again I know they are close but I can hope for something at dinner at like6:30-7pm. If not well then I know our lunch will be lite and dinner will be normal

I would hate to get there and find I can not eat lunch with out a 1-2 hr wait

Anyone looking for lunch at LTT12/25 she had openings from 1:15 on at least for 6 people
Good for you. Hopefully you can change to a little later dinner and if not what you have will work too. Glad you were able to get B,L & D ressies on Christmas!:santa:

I'm glad you made your ADR's :). I do have to comment on a couple things, though. First of all, I would ditch your reservation at 'Ohana. You are wasting very valuable park time eating over at the Poly. You need to be in the park by 8:00 AM if you want to ride anything on Christmas day. I am really not kidding or over-exaggerating this point. It's really best if you are there when the gates open at 7:00 AM for Disney resort guests. If you wander into the MK at 10:00 AM all fat and happy with a great breakfast in your bellies there will be faced with long lines for everything and the Fast Passes return times will be in the late afternoon or early evening.

Just so you know what you're getting into, here is my NYE trip report in the MK from 2003/2004: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=490243

And here are some photos of Soarin' in Epcot on the last NYE. I think we entered The Land around 11:45 AM and reached Soarin' about 20 minutes later. The Fast Pass return time was MIDNIGHT!

NYE06LandLine.jpg

NYE06SoarinTimes.jpg

NYE06SoarinFPReturns.jpg

My suggestion would be to grab some granola bars or hit the Main Street Bakery for a yummy coffee cake or sweet roll on your way into the park in the early AM. You have two options for lunch/dinner: (1) Try to book the Crystal Palace for lunch (or my favorite which is the last breakfast seating so you make it a brunch). Then book another dinner, maybe LTT? I also like Tony's. (2) You can also just leave your CP dinner where it is and brave the Counter Service places right when they open at 11:00 AM. You are bound to be hungry by then and the lines will not be too long yet.

I would also suggest that you pay for a touring plan. Tourguide Mike has a great plan and so does the Unofficial Guide (you can google for the address).

It's a very busy time at WDW, but also a LOT OF FUN!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter