Not sure I agree with this article

I agree completely! I'm from a suburb of Philly and Wildwood is my favorite beach, but having that said... DISNEY IS THE BEST EVER!

The only reason I can think of as to why they have Wildwood above Orlando is because Wildwood has more thrill rides on their boardwalk piers than Disney has.

I don't see how you can compare the two. I go to Disney a few times a year and Wildwood Crest also. I go to each one honestly for different reasons. Disney is great all year for family time, rides, food, you know the usual. Wildwood I love for those things too but Wildwood is always much more of a relaxed trip for me than Disney since the schedule really is; wake up, breakfast (so many great homestyle places there), beach, pool, room, boardwalk. Disney is more paced imho with riding rides and getting places on time and getting what everyone wants done done. Like I said you can't compare the two, and I know I just did, but I mean in a sense of entertainment wise. Disney is an enterprise is creating an increasingly more structured vacation while places like Wildwood are extremely relaxed. I honestly love both equally, but with Disney being the "favorite".

I don't see how you can compare the two. I go to Disney a few times a year and Wildwood Crest also. I go to each one honestly for different reasons. Disney is great all year for family time, rides, food, you know the usual. Wildwood I love for those things too but Wildwood is always much more of a relaxed trip for me than Disney since the schedule really is; wake up, breakfast (so many great homestyle places there), beach, pool, room, boardwalk. Disney is more paced imho with riding rides and getting places on time and getting what everyone wants done done. Like I said you can't compare the two, and I know I just did, but I mean in a sense of entertainment wise. Disney is an enterprise is creating an increasingly more structured vacation while places like Wildwood are extremely relaxed. I honestly love both equally, but with Disney being the "favorite".

Well to be fair it wasn't really comparing Disney to the town. It was comparing Orlando to the town.

Well to be fair it wasn't really comparing Disney to the town. It was comparing Orlando to the town.

well that shows my attention to detail... :rotfl:

that said, the reason wildwood is ahead is because it is a domestic family location while orlando is a corporate herding station nowadays. that being said, i enjoy being herded several times a year down there, but for the reasons stated in the article i agree with wildwood being ahead.

I've been going to WW for years and no longer go if you like a beach the is a mike to the water, BENNIES aka people like the Jersey Shore cast who are never from NJ but NY,and cheap carnival rides the yes you would think WW is better than WDWpirate:

well that shows my attention to detail... :rotfl:

that said, the reason wildwood is ahead is because it is a domestic family location while orlando is a corporate herding station nowadays. that being said, i enjoy being herded several times a year down there, but for the reasons stated in the article i agree with wildwood being ahead.

I've been looking for a trip to take up north. Already been to DC Virginia Beach and WV. I might go hit Wildwood in a few summers.:thumbsup2

Of course, the article referred to "EPCOT Center"; Epcot has not used that name for more than ten years. It did refer to Typhoon Lagoon, but not Blizzard Beach (which is the second highest attendance water park in the world) or to Dsney's Hollywood Studios.

Wildwood, NJ is a seasonal beach town with an amusement park. During the height of the summer I'm sure it seems the epitome of summer vacation.

OK, I know I'll get flamed for this, but... the place is a ghetto. Old, old, old motels crowded together with cheesy shops and restaurants on narrow dirty streets.

My DH and I drive through the area every year on our way to Cape May, NJ.

There is just no comparison between Wildwood and WDW.

Wildwood, NJ is a seasonal beach town with an amusement park. During the height of the summer I'm sure it seems the epitome of summer vacation.

OK, I know I'll get flamed for this, but... the place is a ghetto. Old, old, old motels crowded together with cheesy shops and restaurants on narrow dirty streets.

Not getting flamed.. but I love that about Wildwood. The original (well original with updates of course) hotels, the plastic palm trees and that "Love those Wildwood Days" song that plays every morning on the boardwalk. I'm only 20, but it has something about it that I like. I think it's sort of like some type of time capsule. I like hearing the stories from family about how it was "the place to be". My dad can recount motels that were there and some that are even still there. I try to take pictures of the old motels to show him what they look like now.

I still think Disney is top notch and should be way higher on this list than WW, but I do think WW has a charm about it.

You may be referring to Wildwood as the ghetto instead of the Crest or North wildwood.

I've been looking for a trip to take up north. Already been to DC Virginia Beach and WV. I might go hit Wildwood in a few summers.:thumbsup2

Know what? We just returned from an early season trip to Ocean City, Marland. What we found was a tremendous family destination. There are tons of things to do beyond just a day at the beach.

Beyond the beach, the amusement rides, mini golf and all the other thing to do.....we found something really special.

If you have children, get a copy of Misty of Chincoteague - and read it. Whild you are at OC, take a quick drive (20 minutes at most) over to Assateague State Park. Besides being a beautifully clean oceanside park with great beaches and facilities.....it has PONIES. The decendants of the original ponies who swam ashore a couple hundred years ago from the destroyed spanish ship.

They are freindly (take come carrots although you are officially not supposed to feed them).....and they are everywhere. And when they sleep.......they look like they are smiling.

Sure, OC is not the Beach Club resort....but it's a whole lot less expensive.....so much more to do and right in our backyard (2 hour drive for us).

We took the dog and had a true family trip.

Live not far from Wildwood and I am there all the time. No flames here... the place is a pit. Little Moscow in summer.

Its definitely a fun place to me. Some people are calling it ghetto and all, but I highly HIGHLY suggest staying the crest (nicely name Wildwood Crest). This is honestly the nicest location there, and everything in and somewhat around it is clean and fine for me. The boardwalk is about a 20-30 minute walk or 10 minute drive from the crest. I think the article was scooping the whole isle together, but the crest (lower half of the area) is definitely much nicer than the rest of it. Plus its home to the nicer, more beach accessible hotels. Again, sure Disney is pristine and clean and all sorts of good, and Wildwood isn't all perfect, but its real nice for a family-esque vacation.

As a Jersey resident, there is no way Wildwood is ahead of Orlando. Not even in the same stratosphere. Check out this article. Ugh.
Wildwood is much better than city of Orlando which the article is referring to. Orlando proper is sleepy little backwards town run by good old boys and the folks at the Orlando CC.
I think too many of you are equating Orlando=Disney. When WDW is in the city of Bay Lake not Orlando and is not within the city limits.
from their website
Walt Disney World Resort is located southwest of Orlando, off Interstate 4, west of the Florida Turnpike.

Wildwood is much better than city of Orlando which the article is referring to. Orlando proper is sleepy little backwards town run by good old boys and the folks at the Orlando CC.
I think too many of you are equating Orlando=Disney. When WDW is in the city of Bay Lake not Orlando and is not within the city limits.
from their website
Walt Disney World Resort is located southwest of Orlando, off Interstate 4, west of the Florida Turnpike.

I'm not sure what that last part means because if you google Disney World and look at the description of their website it says the Walt Disney World Resort located in Orlando Florida and that how it's always advertised it's def in an area considered Orlando. Walt had Bay Lake and Buena Vista built for financial or building purposes. Forget which one. Those are the suburb areas of Orlando the parks are built in.

So while it may not be in actual downtown Orlando its def. in Orlando.

I'm a "Jersey Shore" native, unfortunately I know that comes with a bad connotation, but most of us are not what you see on tv- that would be the tourists that come from our surrounding areas...But there is no way NJ even compares to Disney World. Kinda cool we get some GOOD press for once, though lol.

I have a townhouse in Diamond Beach. This is the southern most end of the island. While I have to agree that there are some areas that are bad. They are all in the City of Wildwood. There are problems with drugs and such, but in very contained areas. In the summer there is such a large surge in police presence, any problems are quickly defuzzed. My Mom, who is particular says it felt like Long Beach Island, NJ. (A very upscale beach town) Wildwood has won awards for their beaches. We are located on the last street of the island, before going over to Cape May. Our beach is awesome! It is private and no where as long as Wildwood beaches. We enjoy all the island has to offer. That being said, when we were looking to purchase we ruled out Wildwood and wanted the low key, laid back, family atmosphere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter