• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not sure how to handle 1 day options...

dismom75

Mouseketeer
We are planning on spending 1 day/night at WDW after our 7 day cruise next January (we've been to the parks many times and just want to get our "Disney Park fix" before we head home). I am used to planning trips that last a week or more and include a package with tickets and dining. So, this 1 day stuff is all new to me and has brought up a lot of questions that I'm hoping someone on here can answer....

1. At this point, I'm not sure it will really make sense to book a package deal since the only table service we want to do is Chef Mickey breakfast the day we fly home. But, it may make sense to book the Quick Service dining so that we have lunch and dinner taken care of the day we are in the parks. My big question with this, as I’m contemplating whether or not it makes sense is: My DD and I will be going to MK and DH/DS to Epcot. I want to get DD and I 1 day base tickets to MK and DS/DH 1 day park hoppers so that they can go to Epcot during the day and meet us at MK in the evening. When I look online, it seems as if we’d all have to get the same type of ticket on a package deal. Is it even possible to purchase different types of tickets on a package deal or should I not even be considering a package and will have to buy everything separate?

2. We have magic bands from our trip last November. Will we be able to use those same bands for park admission and fastpasses next January? Will we have to do something to link them to a new reservation or is the system that “magical” that they will automatically be linked once our reservation is made? ;)

3. If we end up booking a room only reservation with tickets separately and don’t book a package, can we still book fastpasses 60 days out? Or do you have to be on a package deal to do that?

4. If I just do a room only, can I still book Chef Mickey 180 days out (pretty sure the answer to this is "yes", but want to check to make sure!)? Or do I have to be on a package deal?

Sorry for so many questions...but my head is spinning with all of the options (along with our cruise planning). :headache: Don't get me wrong...I LOVE planning our Disney trips. But, I'm having a hard time getting a grasp on it this time since this "only going to a park for 1 day" thing is all new to me.

I am not sure the dining plan saves you much especially on such a short trip.
You can price out your meals by looking at the menu's here and at allears.net to see what your out of pocket costs are vs what the meal plan will cost you. I don't usually purchase this but I think you would be paying for 2 days of dining with a one night stay. If you are looking for the convenience in addition to possible savings then by using the magic bands then you can just charge your meals back to the room if you don't get the meal plan - very convenient.

It is pretty easy to price out the package vs the room only on the online reservation system.

Tickets - if you do purchase a package then everyone needs the same ticket - just get everyone a one day base ticket and then add the hopper option at the parks for just those who need/want it.

Yes you can use your old MB's and you will also get a new set for the new resort stay - you can use the old and new bands interchangeably. (So choose different colors for fun!) You don't have to do anything both sets will be linked to your MDE account.

Yes - you can make your FP+ reservations 60 days in advance and your ADR's 180 days in advance with any WDW Resort stay, package or room only.

I am not sure the dining plan saves you much especially on such a short trip.

I don't think the dining plan has ever saved us money ;). I've done many spreadsheets for past trips using allears.net to price what I think our meals would cost vs. the dining plan cost. But, my non-Disney husband (gasp!) likes to have meals paid for in advance. So, I book it to make him happy. :goodvibes But, as you're saying, it sounds like with the Magic Bands, I can just touch my band to the device at the table now to pay. And, in effect, my husband really doesn't have to deal with any of it anyway. BTW, in the past, we've gotten 1 day worth of meals per night of stay, not 2.

I've never seen 2 different base ticket options (1 for MK and 1 for Epcot, HS, and/or AK). Maybe this is because I've never booked a 1 day ticket before though. When I tried to price it out online last week, it wasn't even possible because of the ticket options. But, maybe it is possible if I call Disney, to do 2 different types of tickets on a package deal?

Maybe this is all silly to even contemplate and I should just book a room only with tickets separate and meals OOP.

I
Yes you can use your old MB's and you will also get a new set for the new resort stay - you can use the old and new bands interchangeably. (So choose different colors for fun!) You don't have to do anything both sets will be linked to your MDE account.

So, they are still automatically sending new Magic Bands per reservation? I thought they had told me, back in November, that in 2014, people would have to reuse old bands or purchase new ones if they wanted them. I also thought I remember reading and/or being told that the Magic Bands that I currently have (2 per person because our last trip was a split stay) were only good for a certain amount of time before we'd have to get new ones. Is any of this true or has all this information changed? Too much to keep up with it all!!! :confused3

With regard to the tickets -
IIRC to get the dining plan you have to purchase tickets. Since you are all going to the MK I would purchase everyone the one day MK ticket and then prior to entering Epcot your DH and DS would have to upgrade their ticket at guest relations at Epcot to add the hopper optio and then enter Epcot. This way you don't have to pay the park hopper fee for you and your DD if your not going to Epcot.

If you don't need the meal plan this trip just purchase the tickets you want for each of you in advance or at the resort/parks.

Yes to pay for meals/purchases, snacks etc with the MB you just scan your band- use a pin that you pre-set at the resort and the charges go on your resort room charge.

I don't think the dining plan has ever saved us money ;). I've done many spreadsheets for past trips using allears.net to price what I think our meals would cost vs. the dining plan cost. But, my non-Disney husband (gasp!) likes to have meals paid for in advance. So, I book it to make him happy. :goodvibes But, as you're saying, it sounds like with the Magic Bands, I can just touch my band to the device at the table now to pay. And, in effect, my husband really doesn't have to deal with any of it anyway. BTW, in the past, we've gotten 1 day worth of meals per night of stay, not 2.

I've never seen 2 different base ticket options (1 for MK and 1 for Epcot, HS, and/or AK). Maybe this is because I've never booked a 1 day ticket before though. When I tried to price it out online last week, it wasn't even possible because of the ticket options. But, maybe it is possible if I call Disney, to do 2 different types of tickets on a package deal?

Maybe this is all silly to even contemplate and I should just book a room only with tickets separate and meals OOP.

So, they are still automatically sending new Magic Bands per reservation? I thought they had told me, back in November, that in 2014, people would have to reuse old bands or purchase new ones if they wanted them. I also thought I remember reading and/or being told that the Magic Bands that I currently have (2 per person because our last trip was a split stay) were only good for a certain amount of time before we'd have to get new ones. Is any of this true or has all this information changed? Too much to keep up with it all!!! :confused3

Yes you will get a new set with your next stay and I haven't heard anything otherwise yet - I just customized our August bands.

The bands are good as long as the batteries last - we have 3 sets from various stays and one for being AP holders and all 4 sets worked interchangeably in April.

With regard to the tickets - IIRC to get the dining plan you have to purchase tickets. Since you are all going to the MK I would purchase everyone the one day MK ticket and then prior to entering Epcot your DH and DS would have to upgrade their ticket at guest relations at Epcot to add the hopper optio and then enter Epcot. This way you don't have to pay the park hopper fee for you and your DD if your not going to Epcot. If you don't need the meal plan this trip just purchase the tickets you want for each of you in advance or at the resort/parks. Yes to pay for meals/purchases, snacks etc with the MB you just scan your band- use a pin that you pre-set at the resort and the charges go on your resort room charge.

Never thought of doing it this way....thanks for the suggestion :). Can I upgrade DH and DS's tickets at check in at our resort? Again, trying to minimize any frustration for the non-Disney fan in the family. Is this a pretty quick process? If not, I'll probably just scrap any thoughts of getting a package and order our tickets separately from the room. As I said in my original post, we'll be coming from the cruise. So, I'll want to maximize our time in the parks for that one day we're there.

Not sure if you can upgrade at the resort I have only done this at the parks myself. It doesn't take long but they would have to wait in line outside Epcot at Guest Relations.

Hopefully someone will come along and let you know if the resort can add the hopper option to a one day ticket !

I never book packages with Disney anymore, it's so much easier for me to just get what I need instead of dealing with their difficult rules.

There's little to no savings with their dining plan so may as well just pay OOP and not worry about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter