• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not-so-scary Halloween Party....Is it worth it?

Wunderwoman

Earning My Ears
Hey. Just out of curiosity - have any of you guys attended that "Not So Scary Halloween Party" at the Magic Kingdom? I'm just wondering if I"m missing anything by not going. I mean, I'm going to be at WDW next week, but I have an annual pass and don't like the idea of paying extra. It might be different if I had children, but just for me. I don't think so.

When did Disney start having those "Extra Charge" parties, anyway? As much as I love WDW, these extra charge parties seem like just a way to get extra money out of people.

Am I wrong? Please let me know what I'm missing.

Carol/Wunderwoman
Official Disneyholic

I really enjoy MNSSHP. I love the atmosphere, the parade, the fireworks, the smaller crowds and shorter lines.

MNSSHP is a good time...it consists of special events such as:
A Halloween parade(Boo To You), characters are dressed up in costumes...the parade was great!
Different version of Wishes fireworks...called Hallowishes.
When you enter the Magic Kingdom, you'll be given a trick-or-treat bag and you go trick-or-treating throughout the park at 'X' marked locations, chocolates, candy is given out.
At the park entrance, it is smokey, eery atmosphere(but not so scary!) with Halloween decor...all done in a Disney Fashion of course.
The park itself has Halloween decor throughout...very cool. Take plenty pics.
You'll notice plenty of kids and also adults dressed up in costumes!
There is a show in front of the castle, but unfortunatly, I missed it.
And of course the park is open for extra magic hours which is at least midnight.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I'm sure I may have forgotten some other piece of info.

You should definetly go...you'll have a fun time! pirate:

Yes, the adults trick-or-treat also...I was doing it all night long...:thumbsup2

I would love to do this but DH is not keen. However DD19 and I are going on a girls only trip in September 2009 and it is top of our list to try.

I've been twice in the last decade and loved it both times. Both of these trips were with other adults and we had no kids in our party. I prefer the villains so it is one of the few times I am certain to see my favorite characters. Plus as an adult you forget just how much fun it is to go trick-or-treating. It is pricey so it may not be something you want to do every year but it is worth a try particularly if you are a fan of Halloween and villain characters.

oooh, does sound like fun!!!

We were thinking of going on a weeknight - do you think the crowds will be less? Also - I have to ask - what kind of chocolate/candy???? I havent trick or treated in YEARS!!!

We are thinking of being Mr/Mrs Incredible - do you think we should get those little black masks or are they not necessary?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Crowds should be less on a weeknight vs. a weekend...either way it shouldn't be overcrowded...keep in mind that there are limited amount of special event tickets sold per night.

As far as 'treats' go...it was both candy and chocolate. Candy such as 'Nerds', 'Sour Patch Kids', gummi bears, lollipops, etc. Chocolate consisted of some Hershey Minitures and other various chocolate. I do remember that at the end of the night, as we exited the park...there were giant crates filled with bags of Hershey's Kissables. I stocked up! :thumbsup2

As far as 'treats' go...it was both candy and chocolate. Candy such as 'Nerds', 'Sour Patch Kids', gummi bears, lollipops, etc. Chocolate consisted of some Hershey Minitures and other various chocolate. I do remember that at the end of the night, as we exited the park...there were giant crates filled with bags of Hershey's Kissables. I stocked up! :thumbsup2

Gosh, don't forget the most exciting treat of the whole event: RAISINS!

Oh, wait...those are yucky... Never mind.

And to the original poster: it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it!

We went last October and had a good time. Even if you're only a little bit interested, you should probably try it at least once. Not sure we'd do it again, but glad we did once just to experience it. The parade was great and Hallowishes was awesome. And even though we were two adults with no kids, we didn't feel the least bit out of place. And yes, we got lots of candy!

We've gone the last 2 years and both DH and I loved it. (and my husband doesn't like Halloween) I like the trick or treating and the parade is fantastic. The fireworks are different too. I think you should try it. You don't have to dress up but you can if you want to.

I went to 2 in 2006, 1 in 2007 and will be going to 2 in 2009 :cool1: . Last year I brought an outfit from walmart next year will take on with me, probably either a medieval princess dress or a vampire dress!!!!!!!!!!!

We were there last week on 9/9 and had a blast. There were no lines at all. We walked onto every ride with no wait and one time there were only four of us on Big Thunder Mountain. DH said it was worth the extra cost just to ride all he wanted without having to wait. We also dressed up and did the trick or treat thing which made us feel like kids.

Hi - do we need to bring trick or treat bags? Or should I carry a backpack or something????????? What time do they let you into the park? Do you need advance tickets for a weeknight early in oct?

Thanks!!

I was in WDW last week with my Disney friend and we went to the MNSSHP and had a BLAST!!!!!!
We didn't want to walk around the Magic Kingdom all day in our costumes so I stuffed them in my bag (he was a devil so he wore black and we got a red cape and horns and I was a cat so I wore black and packed ears, whiskers and a tail). We had dinner at Tony's, changed into our costumes and hit the party!
We went Trick or Treating....saw the parade....got a TON of great photopass pictures...the one in front of Haunted Mansion in our costumes was the best!!!!!
I think everyone should go at least once!

Its definately worth doing once. They give out lots of candy, they give you a trick or treat bag. I am not a huge fan of Halloween, but it was fun, and nice to see all the different lighting in MK and on the castle.

We went on the 9th this year and I didn't think it was anything great. Other than the parade and trick or treating I thought it was pretty dull, Definatly not worth the money to me. I saw the parade on youtube and it was free.

I was in WDW last week with my Disney friend and we went to the MNSSHP and had a BLAST!!!!!!
We didn't want to walk around the Magic Kingdom all day in our costumes so I stuffed them in my bag (he was a devil so he wore black and we got a red cape and horns and I was a cat so I wore black and packed ears, whiskers and a tail). We had dinner at Tony's, changed into our costumes and hit the party!
We went Trick or Treating....saw the parade....got a TON of great photopass pictures...the one in front of Haunted Mansion in our costumes was the best!!!!!
I think everyone should go at least once!

Can you stay in the park during the transition from regular attendance to MNSSHP (assuming you have the pre-purchased ticket to the Halloween party of course)? Say the park closes at 7 but the MNSSHP begins at 8, between 7 and 8 can you say, sit for dinner at a place like Tony's?

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't a solo trip that time. I can't see myself attending this by myself, unless I knew I would never have the opportunity to attend with a group. Then I would do it just to have the experience. And I'd make sure I didn't eat much that day because there is free chocolate EVERYWHERE! :laughing: The other thing is that the lines for the attractions are super short - everyone is doing the trick or treat thing with their kids, and there are times during the evening when you can just keep walking on BTMRR or Space Mountain or Splash over and over and over again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter