Not sea lice...but what were they??

xanadubeach

Earning My Ears
We were on Castaway Cay on Wednesday, Jan. 30th, 3003 and within a few minutes of stepping onto the beach I was covered with these very, very small tan bugs (about the size of a grain of sand).

At first I didn't even notice them crawling on my shirt but I kept feeling something biting my arms and legs. When I looked on my arm I wouldn't see anything at first. Finally, I stopped and looked carefully and saw these things crawling on me.

I asked a few CMs what they were and two out of three said they didn't know. One person (the person renting the floats) said this was the worst she had seen them but didn't know what they were called.

They couldn't be sea lice as explained in other threads because I never got near the water. Others I spoke to either were eaten alive or didn't notice them at all. Are these always at Castaway Cay or is this a fluke?

ANY ONE KNOW WHAT THESE THINGS WERE?

Sand fleas maybe? I do'nt know, but it's a guess...they are nasty little things and can bite you up very quickly.

Anne

I am HIGHLY allergic to many types of insect bites (and I seem to attract them!) and have never been attacked by any bugs at all on Castaway Cay. It sounds like it was an unusual occurence, especially since the crew member said that they hadn't seen anything like it.

Whatever they were they sound nasty!

Could be sand flies. They are very small, even can go through screen doors. We have them here in south Georgia. They breed in the sand.

It sounds like sand fleas. I'm from south FL and we have them there. Nasty things. I got bit on Castaway Cay, as well, but not badly.

If they are sand fleas, does bug spray work against them? I got a ton of bites from them on a golf course in Hilton Head (I spent alot of time in the sand traps!), and I itched for days!

I'm not sure if bug spray would work on these bugs. I didn't check at the Castaway Cay store to buy some.

I did notice that some people with dark shirts/pants had less bugs on them.

I know what sand fleas look like up in the northeast coast (very small, round, black) but these were tan, long and flat. I guess I'll never know but thinking about them now is making me itch so I will put it behind me.

If they are an insect and bite, they might be what we call here in Florida "no-see-ums". They are a small, almost tranparent gnat that breeds in sandy soil and can give you fits.

There is only one thing that I found that works - Avon's skin-so-soft lotion. The bug spray maker "Off" has also copied this, and I believe they call theirs "Skintastic" or something like that.

This stuff has a nice smell, and doesn't contain DEET.

However, the "sea lice" I have read about here are juvenile jellyfish, and I don't think either of these two products will help with these.

P.S. - Here is what I'm talking about:

from http://shop.avon.com/avonshop/default.asp
Avon Skin-So-Soft Original Moisturizing Bath Oil
Legendary softness!
price: 17 oz pour bottle $12.50, 5oz spray bottle $6.00
America's #1 moisturizing bath oil will pamper your entire family. Provides rich moisture for exceptionally soft and smooth after-bath skin. In our original Woodland scent. 16.9 fl. oz.
Ingredients - Skin-So-Soft Original Moisturizing Bath Oil
mineral oil ,
isopropyl palmitate ,
dicapryl adipate ,
fragrance ,
dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate ,
bht ,
propylene glycol ,
carrot (daucus carota sativa) oil

Apparently AVON has also discovered their lotion works, and has a bug product as well - from their website:
Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus IR3535 Insect Repellent Moisturizing Lotion SPF 15
With the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval!
price: $12.00

IR3535®, Avon’s exclusive patented formula, is DEET- and PABA-free, so it’s the smart choice for the entire family. Long-lasting protection you can trust — from SKIN-SO-SOFT.
• Effective against mosquitoes, deer ticks, black flies, sand flies, gnats, no-seeums and biting midges.
• Dermatologist-tested; hypo-allergenic.
• Nongreasy moisturizing protection with aloe & vitamin E.
• Fresh, clean scent — no chemical smell.
• Waterproof formula DOES NOT need to be washed off after use.
• Awarded the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval!
IR3535® is effective against mosquitoes and ticks, which may transmit West Nile Virus and Lyme Disease. 4 fl. oz.

The OFF! Skintastic product is similar, and can be found here:
http://www.mosquitoes.com/off_skintastic.asp

I hope this helps...Genie

We were on castaway that day too. I had to throw away so many drinks that day because of those bugs but the closer you go to the water the less bugs there were. They bit too. We didn't notice tham as much at the adult beach though.

Thanks GinaAnn for re-confirming this for me. I noticed the closer I got to the water they weren't as bad. I'll just have to be prepared the next time.

I was on CC that day too and I did notice them (mostly because they were flying into my face). I didn't really look very closely at them (didn't have my glasses on), but I wasn't sure if they were seeds from the trees or bugs. I'm glad I wasn't sure. I didn't mention it to anyone because I didn't want my family to be bothered by them since they didn't say anything. But I did notice some people scratching. They were not no-see-ums, I'm pretty sure. I was wearing pants over my swimsuit, so I just felt them on my face and arms.

We were "attacked" by them on Serenity Bay on both of our cruises (Dec. 2001 & Jan. 2003). We did not experience these bugs anywhere else on the island that we went. I will definitely bring some Skin so Soft (Avon) next time. I figured the first time was a fluke...I guess I was wrong. :rolleyes:

I was so looking forward to CC - I stepped off the boat, got onto the beach and then i began to itch. and itch. and itch. I was getting welts on my skin. I was dying!!! They were definetely sand fleas, and that was the worst experience i have ever had to endure. I was so dissappointed that my day was ruined because of those darn fleas. I couldn't eat becuase they were flying everywhere, i couldn't drink because they flew right into the cup, it was disgusting. You'd think that Disney would spray or something!!! I was there on the 31st of January and it was REALLY bad. It ruined my day :( O well tho, the rest of the trip more than made up for the one bad day :)
Penny

I wonder if it was just worse in some places than others on CC. I mean, we sat near the wooden climbing thing on the family beach and my family now says that they don't know what I'm talking about. I was sitting with pant and bathing suit near the water but they were in the water. The teen beach was practically empty and we never went near the adult beach. Maybe it was worse the next day, but I don't know what you could have done to prevent it. It was not something I noticed all day; just a few times. But I did keep moving. We walked to the shops, the bathrooms, got lunch, etc. etc. I was not much of a lounger.

The "no-see-ums" were on Castaway Cay today. I heard many people say they were leaving as they could not stand them. Although, the beach was crowded and majority of people stayed, these little bugs were very annoying. I could not see them on my skin, but felt the bites. As I looked at my souvenir glass holding my Konk Kooler, I could see them adhering to the wet outside on the glass. The same description applies as above, tan color, long in length but overall very tiny and hard to see with the eye. I know CC has enormous amounts of bugs that come out after dark, but this was the first time I have encountered this in my five trips there, too. Hope they are able to come up with a solution to this.

Growing up in Florida with those nastiest of insects - I found only one thing that would help, Avon Skin-So-Soft and the Johnson Wax knock-off called Skintastic.

But if they are that bad in mid-day this time of year, then Disney should consider a serious spraying program. I just hope it's taken care of before June.

Insect free this trip. Spent most of the morning and early afternoon being lazy in a hammock yesterday at CC.:) Didn't notice or get bit by any bugs. But there was a bit of a breeze. If they are nosseums.,they usually only "attack" in calm air. Sorry the insects ruined your day.:( In Nassau now. More afraid of getting attacked by the hairbraiders than insects today.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter