NOT impressed with Raglan Road

KarlaG4Kids

Love to travel, especially to Disney!
We just returned from our trip. I had read such great things about Raglan Road that we scheduled a visit. We were most definately not impressed. We arrived early by about an hour and asked if we could go ahead and check in and get seated. The place was virtually empty (5:20 pm Sunday evening). We were told they would get our table ready and seat us in a couple of minutes. About 5-10 minutes later there was a cloud burst and people came pouring in the doors. They did not have ADR's...just stopped to see if there was room. We waited, waited and waited some more. People that came in way after us were getting seated and we were still holding our pager. Finally I went and asked and they said Our turn was coming up. Within just a minute our pager was flashing. We are sure they had forgotten us. (It had taken about 45 minutes to get seated). We found Raglan Road to be a very loud restaurant. Granted...there were a lot of people there by the time we got seated. There was a man making balloon figures for the kids and unfortunately some of the kids were acting horrible with the balloons. Running around bashing people over the head with balloons etc. etc. The parents of these children should have been disciplined. My DH & I have 4 kids, 5 grandkids and we love kids. But the kids were really running amuck and it made for a very long meal. Now, we don't hold the behaviour of these kids against Raglan Road or the employees of Raglan Road. But it did not make our evening very enjoyable. Because of how busy the restaurant became with the cloud burst the service was pretty slow. Food...it was just ok. We had the scallop forrest which was good, but very expensive for 6 scallops. I had fish and chips and my dh had shepards pie. The food tasted ok, but it just wasn't all that great. Especially not for the price. I much prefer the fish & chips at the Rose & Crown in Epcot. DH said the Shepards Pie was just very bland with not much flavor. We also noticed that there were many more offerings if you were not on the DDP. Of course the specials were quite expensive too. We are happy to pay more money when the service is great, the atmosphere is nice and the food is really good (Narcoossee's was a great choice this trip), but we just didn't feel that Raglan Road was up to par.

If you don't mind my asking, what WASN'T available to DDP patrons? That really bothers me. The only reason I ask is because my husband and I are still trying to figure out if we should try it in September or not.

Raglan Road is my new favourite; I eat there very often and also take business clients. A lot of Disney suits also eat there.

The menu is updated frequently and the food quality is above most of the overrated Disney run restaurants. The prices are in line with a decent offsite restaurant, and portion sizes are more than ample.

I have had the off day there as well, but it was always handled appropriately after a word with the manager.

Having said that, I do sometimes see people disappointed with the place. I really don't see it as a place to bring small children in the evening (I have read reports of people complaining about the music and entertainment, as well as the bar - that is the concept of this restaurant) A few months ago my colleague and I were in giggles about the next table - one of the middle aged men pitched a fit about the menu and pouted that he would get McDonalds fries to go on the way to the car. There is a lot of variety on the menu, and if people can't find ANYTHING to eat then I would surmise that they have a very limited palate.

If you don't mind my asking, what WASN'T available to DDP patrons? That really bothers me. The only reason I ask is because my husband and I are still trying to figure out if we should try it in September or not.

They had a list of "specials" that were available only if you were not on the DDP. We were not using the DDP so they did offer them to us. I can't remember what all there was but they were in the range of $30 per entree.

I would have very much enjoyed the live entertainment but there was none when we were there. I have found many more Disney run restaurants with better food. It is certainly not that we have a limited palate, we found food that could have been good...but just wasn't all that impressive. The food was just ok in our opinions.

It is certainly not that we have a limited palate, we found food that could have been good...but just wasn't all that impressive. The food was just ok in our opinions.

I wasn't referring to you, but the diner who wouldn't even eat tomato soup, or the fries there.... we did wonder why he was even at the restaurant if all he could find to please him at DTD was McDonald's fries.

I'll be back at Raglan Road this week enjoying myself and the food. I truly do feel that is an undiscovered gem, but because it doesn't fall into the Disneyfied expectations some set it gets overlooked or written off.

To each their own.

I would have very much enjoyed the live entertainment but there was none when we were there. I have found many more Disney run restaurants with better food. It is certainly not that we have a limited palate, we found food that could have been good...but just wasn't all that impressive. The food was just ok in our opinions.

I could have typed in the quote above exactly. Service was OK, actually pretty good in addressing a complaint I had about my steak. I'm glad we tried it, but we won't be going back.

Ragland Rd had great music and the food was as good as any of the other restaurants including the california grill or le cellier in my opinion

We ate there during our trip last April. We loved it. It does have a less formal atmosphere as it is designed to be like an Irish Pub. It can be kinda loud but we didn't mind. I WOULD have minded though if we had kids running around like the OP experienced. I can't stand it when people let their kids do what ever they want. Anyway, we thought the food was very good. I had the salmon and DH had the shepards pie. I forget what the kids had but I would have remembered if they didn't like it. I do agree its not for everyone though.

I have ADR for next Feb I like the look of the Sole & chips has anyone had it and how was it? The dessrts sound aawesome much better than LeCellierand I am really torn . I hear raves about Ger's Bread Pudding anyone else have a fav. dessrt there??

Ragland Road is one of our favorite restaurants at WDW. You are in a PUB at WALT DISNEY WORLD! Of course it will be loud with lots of kids running around. You should be there later at night when the dancing starts.

My DH had the shepherd's pie, and he also said it was bland. I had a risotto that's now off the menu, and I thought it was great--one of the best I've had. I really loved my meal there. The appetizer and dessert were excellent.

I have ADR for next Feb I like the look of the Sole & chips has anyone had it and how was it? The dessrts sound aawesome much better than LeCellierand I am really torn . I hear raves about Ger's Bread Pudding anyone else have a fav. dessrt there??

we like all the desserts - especially the chocolate ones!

My husband and DS2 had the sole last trip. My husband said it was OK. It was breaded which is a different style for us and was served as a fillet rather than boned at the table. He also thought the bread pudding just OK although I have seen many raves about it on the DIS.

Raglan Road had become a must do for us over the last few trips but after our last experience we may give it a rest for a while. Although much of the restaurant was empty we were seated in the room with the hearth. It was jammed in there and like Karla, we were surrounded by children behaving badly and there was not even a balloon guy there that night. Like her, I think the parents should have been disciplined! The noise level was incredible and really put a damper on our evening. We too were in and out before the entertainment began.

I've enjoyed Kevin's Kudos but this time it tasted like dried out ham. Before it had been so succulent. I really like the sausages served with mustard. Really is a taste of Ireland for me. Dunbrody's Kiss is very good too.

I am so sorry to hear about the poor reviews. I have to convinced Dh and ds to eat there during our trip I hope we are not disappointed.

For every bad review I have read of this restaurant, I have heard 7 positive. I have an ADR for my upcoming trip and am going to go in without a pre-determined view of the meal and hope for the best!! Not that the OP is hyper-sensitive, I guess you just never know what you will get. Cheers :woohoo:

We also were seated in the room with the hearth. Possibly it just doesn't absorb the amount of customers (and noise) that some of the other rooms do. I really do love Irish Pub's and I am glad that most posters are happy with their experience at Raglan Road. I just thought it would be a good idea to post our experience. Possibly someone will read my post and learn a little bit from it....it would be nice if it were the parents of the children running around and hitting others with balloons! :confused3

agree with you 100% of the impact uncontrolled children can have. You will never see my daughter acting like that in public. Or if she did, she would be whisked outside with our food taken to go. The way some kids are allowed to run wild infuriates me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter