Not happy with southwest

Ro Z

DIS Veteran
I love southwest. Have never flown any other airline in probably 10 years. BUT they just opened up flights from Nov 3 on. I am very unhappy with the flights. Nonstop flights, either you leave at around 6am, too early or you leave at 3pm, too late! I have a good friend who works at Jetblue and can get us companion flights at a very cheap price. The only problem is there is no guarantee we will get on a midmorning flight. But with Southwest, there is no midmorning flight any more. What to do?!!
Oh Ya we are flying from either Boston or Manchester NH

I would give Jetblue a try, especially if you can get a good price on them. I used to fly Southwest almost exclusively for 3 years, but last month I flew Jetblue for the first time and it was much better than Southwest.

The companion rate at Jetblue is about 1/2 of Southwests rate. But you have to be flexible. I'm wondering if I can be flexible!!:goodvibes:confused3

Is she offering "employee" companion tickets? If so then you need to check how "bumpable" you are especially if you have to be at a certain place (especially a popular place like Orlando) on a certain date (and back home)

I would not risk the "flexible departure" fare, because it is probably on a space available basis. If so, and those flights are full with "regular" customers, you don't go out that day, period.

This is just how the air travel industry has been going for the past many years. Carriers continue to consolidate routes and reduce capacity, particularly on less profitable (read: leisure-dominated) routes. For example, SW and AT used to both have daily non-stops from DTW to MCO. SW dropped theirs years ago now, and AT no longer flies DTW->MCO nonstop on Sundays. So, you have to decide whether convenience (mid-morning flight on JetBlue, booked as a regular customer) or price (something less expensive) is more important to you.

The companion rate at Jetblue is about 1/2 of Southwests rate. But you have to be flexible. I'm wondering if I can be flexible!!:goodvibes:confused3

Is the companion rate a standy rate? Are you willing to forgo assigned seats? Are you willing to split your family on different flights.

Southwest is giving you the choice of 6a or 3p. Could you wind up getting to the airport early enough to catch the 6a Southwest flight but not get on a Jet Blue flight until 6p, if then?

Not only isn't there a guarantee you won't get on the mid morning flight there isn't a guarantee you'll get on any flight. Are your prepared for some of your family members to clear but the rest of your family not get on any flight that day?

Southwest has 2 nonstops on 11.03 out of MHT. One leaves at 7pm the other at 1:10 pm both okay prices. I personally like the early flights and have one booked for 6:30 am. These flights allow us to gain an extra vacation day. Not a flame, but I'll never understand why people want to take an afternoon flight on their vacation which in my opinion wastes the day. My flight lands in MCO at 9:40 and we'll be in HS by lunch.

I sooo agree . . . Leaving CT at 6:30 am and having lunch at Sci Fi Diner around noon! I can never sleep the night before . . .Too excited!:yay:

Southwest has 2 nonstops on 11.03 out of MHT. One leaves at 7pm the other at 1:10 pm both okay prices. I personally like the early flights and have one booked for 6:30 am. These flights allow us to gain an extra vacation day. Not a flame, but I'll never understand why people want to take an afternoon flight on their vacation which in my opinion wastes the day. My flight lands in MCO at 9:40 and we'll be in HS by lunch.

....because for some people getting up at 3am to go to the airport results in a lost day anyway.

In my case, I prefer to fly from BUF which is a 90 minute drive from my house. I have to add in extra time in case there are any issues along the way. Total up the time and I need to leave home 4 hours before a flight. So this means that a mid morning to early afternoon flight works best.

Sorry, but I think you are being pretty picky when they have only a 9 hour window between flights, and one is too early and one is too late for you. Airlines can't afford to schedule so many flights anymore, if they know they won't be full.

I'm actually having a worse problem with Air Tran. I can either leave at 6 am, or take an afternoon flight with at least a 3 1/2 layover. So I'm checking out other airlines. Air Tran is doing what they must, and so will I.

....because for some people getting up at 3am to go to the airport results in a lost day anyway.

In my case, I prefer to fly from BUF which is a 90 minute drive from my house. I have to add in extra time in case there are any issues along the way. Total up the time and I need to leave home 4 hours before a flight. So this means that a mid morning to early afternoon flight works best.

You might consider a park sleep and fly. For some trips it works out close to the same price as if you park at the airport. You drive to the hotel the night before, park, sleep and in the am no matter what time the hotel has a free shuttle to take you to the airport. You get extra sleep, you get to Florida extra early and you get extra time on your vacation. Upon your return the hotel again sends the shuttle for you and you get in your car and drive home. I agree not everyone is up for a long day, but even if you do nothing but hang out at the resort it's better than traveling all day. Also if you have an earlier flight and there is an issue with the flight you have a much better chance of getting out later that day.

I agree OP that the schedule changes SWA has made at MHT over the past year or two are disappointing. Those mid-morning non-stops from MHT to MCO were very convenient and usually full flights so it's hard to figure out why they discontinued them. The last few trips we've flown MHT-BWI-MCO. It takes longer but for us it's preferable to flying first thing in the morning or early evening.

Have you considered driving to Providence?? They seem to have more non-stop flights.

This trip we leave at 6:00 AM:banana: However, we have taken late afternoon or early evening flights out on vacation as our vacation technically would start on a saturday...DH unable to take more than one week at a time :eek: By leaving later on Friday, we get to our destination and able to sleep fairly decently giving our first full day on saturday...instead of traveling. Whatever works. As I said, this trip we leave early out and back late coming home...later than normal but it is what we could get.

I love southwest. Have never flown any other airline in probably 10 years. BUT they just opened up flights from Nov 3 on. I am very unhappy with the flights. Nonstop flights, either you leave at around 6am, too early or you leave at 3pm, too late! I have a good friend who works at Jetblue and can get us companion flights at a very cheap price. The only problem is there is no guarantee we will get on a midmorning flight. But with Southwest, there is no midmorning flight any more. What to do?!!
Oh Ya we are flying from either Boston or Manchester NH

Yeah, I wasn't that impressed with the times or the prices for the dates we are going in Nov, either. I ended up booking AirTran. $120 each way, nonstop from Boston. Great times too. I have never flown them before though, so I am hoping it goes well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter