Not Happy at Our Resort...Anybody ever switched when not pre-planned?

cherylsmike

Mouseketeer
We aren't very happy at our resort. We are thinking of switching. We are under a unique PIN offer. I'm guessing we wouldn't be able to use that again and would have to book at the price available? Has anybody had an experience doing this? Is it very expensive. We would be switching from a Value to a Moderate.

I would ask your questions at the check in desk at your resort. Ask if it's possible to move, and if so, could our PIN still be applied to the cost.
If you're thinking about this, the quicker you ask and get answers the better. I hope it all works out for you!

I would definitely speak with the front desk at your resort. Do you have legitimate issues with the resort? Like poor customer service, or cleanliness.. or is it more of its just not your taste? If its the former then they might be able to help you out with a different arrangement..

I agree - definitely ask at the front desk. Once, when staying at BWI with plans to transfer to AKL we decided we'd just like to spend the rest of the trip at BWI. The CL CMs at BWI were able to switch our AKL reservation to BWI so that we could stay. We were able to keep our discount. Not sure if this matters, but we had a room-only reservation and used the AP discount. Our friends were able to extend a stay at BC once by asking the front desk - they were able to apply their then-expired discount to the extra nights (AND keep their complimentary upgrade to a 2-bedroom suite for the remainder of the stay!)

We have done it twice...once from a value to a mod and once from a mod to a value. If they have room for you at the other resort...they will move you or make it right by you.

I would think that moving and not incurring additional costs from going from a Value to a Moderate would depend on the reasons that you are not happy with your resort. Last summer my kids and I were at CSR for a planned 10 day stay. 3 days in, and we knew that it was not going to work. We had major issues with housekeeping, noise all night, bad language, smoking, drinking outside of the rooms from a group of conventioneers etc...that we were placed in the middle of. It was really bad, and I am not a complainer. I went down to the front desk and politely asked if we could change resorts, and why. (In this case, from Mod to Mod (POFQ). The cast members were great, and within an hour we were packed up, taken by taxi to FQ, and given an upgrade to a river view room at no cost to us. If we just didn't like the resort, I am not sure we would have been able to change without paying the upgraded cost. I do believe that Disney wants their guest to be happy, so I would do as the others suggested and speak to the front desk, sooner rather than later. I wish we wouldn't have waited 3 days. Good luck.

I suspect moving resorts entirely would be of some expense to you, especially if you're booked under a pin that has since expired. If you don't like the resort because of ongoing construction, that's probably the only exception I can think of where Disney may absorb the cost of moving you to a whole new resort. Usually, if you have a problem with your room, they will move your room or room category but rarely is it to a whole new resort.

I would think that moving and not incurring additional costs from going from a Value to a Moderate would depend on the reasons that you are not happy with your resort. Last summer my kids and I were at CSR for a planned 10 day stay. 3 days in, and we knew that it was not going to work. We had major issues with housekeeping, noise all night, bad language, smoking, drinking outside of the rooms from a group of conventioneers etc...that we were placed in the middle of. It was really bad, and I am not a complainer. I went down to the front desk and politely asked if we could change resorts, and why. (In this case, from Mod to Mod (POFQ). The cast members were great, and within an hour we were packed up, taken by taxi to FQ, and given an upgrade to a river view room at no cost to us. If we just didn't like the resort, I am not sure we would have been able to change without paying the upgraded cost. I do believe that Disney wants their guest to be happy, so I would do as the others suggested and speak to the front desk, sooner rather than later. I wish we wouldn't have waited 3 days. Good luck.

The above and previous responses covered the subject well. Just be aware that are instances where a discount may not be carried over. SIL and family reserved POR one year and upon arrival decided they didn't like the resort. They went to the front desk and asked to be moved. They ended up at the Boardwalk which they liked very much, but had to pay full rack rate for the room.

If I wanted to see about changing resorts while at WDW, I'd do a quick check for availability.
Then I'd do the math, what would be rack rate and what would be the aprox cost with the PIN. That way if I was offered something I'd know what the cost would be either way.

It's possible they might offer the PIN. It's also possible they might mean to apply the PIN and just accidentally revert to rack (and questions will hopefully get that fixed). Or, they might say rack rate only. Making sure I was certain of the actual cost before signing up for a change would be important to me. I wouldn't leave it to chance, I'd ask polite questions to make sure we were on the same page.

Last edited:
I
Don't know about the cost, but go right to the desk and see what you can do:)

I suspect moving resorts entirely would be of some expense to you, especially if you're booked under a pin that has since expired. If you don't like the resort because of ongoing construction, that's probably the only exception I can think of where Disney may absorb the cost of moving you to a whole new resort. Usually, if you have a problem with your room, they will move your room or room category but rarely is it to a whole new resort.

This. We switched resorts once, from a value to a mod, and I was responsible for the extra cost. The switch wasn't because of any issues though; I just didn't like the value resort.

Thank you for all your replies. My main complaint is the noise of guests just going about their everyday business. The toilets are really, really loud and I'm a light sleeper. You hear all kinds of bumps and every footfall and whisper outside your door. We are on the second floor. We are towards the back of the resort and the area we are in is quiet without a lot of traffic so I don't know where else they could put us that would make a difference here.There seems to be a cheer or dance competition with several teams here, but they haven't really caused any problem for us. I have stayed on the first floor of two moderate resorts and never heard this kind of noise. Of course we know upgrading will cost. We aren't looking for a free upgrade. I was just unsure whether we had a chance of keeping our code or automatically paying rack rate or even maybe the Spring offer would apply. It is only a room reservation.

Thank you for all your replies. My main complaint is the noise of guests just going about their everyday business. The toilets are really, really loud and I'm a light sleeper. You hear all kinds of bumps and every footfall and whisper outside your door. We are on the second floor. We are towards the back of the resort and the area we are in is quiet without a lot of traffic so I don't know where else they could put us that would make a difference here.There seems to be a cheer or dance competition with several teams here, but they haven't really caused any problem for us. I have stayed on the first floor of two moderate resorts and never heard this kind of noise. Of course we know upgrading will cost. We aren't looking for a free upgrade. I was just unsure whether we had a chance of keeping our code or automatically paying rack rate or even maybe the Spring offer would apply. It is only a room reservation.

Have you tried closing the bathroom door at night? I have heard that helps with the toilet noise. And maybe check and see if they can put you on the top floor. That should help too. I have stayed at all levels of Disney resort, and I don't think the outside noises are any less staying at a Moderate. It just depends on who your neighbors are. The only thing that would help with that would be less traffic, so the top floor could help.

I went to the front desk and just asked to go to the 3rd floor (top). The desk clerk was very nice and called and got our room switched to just around the corner and up a floor. Since last post we went to the front desk, packed, moved, unpacked and are all settled in to our new room. I wanted to try this first as we don't mind the resort and I wanted to exhaust this option before upgrading. Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter