Not happy about costume I got at Disney Store!

weesignlanguage

DIS Veteran
Yesterday I drove 1 hour to our Disney Store (now owned by Disney not CPlace) in a nearby city to get a costume for my ds b/c he wants to be Peter Pan at MNSSHP. We called and they had one so I went. It fits great and he looks precious. When we tried it on, my son kept saying "Where is the hat?" so I asked (as did my dh) if there was supposed to be a hat with it. The CM said she "didn't think so." They were still unpacking all the costumes and we couldn't buy the "accessories" yet. So, I bought the costume fo 39.50.

Then I came home and just for kicks went to www.disneyshopping.com and found the costume. It is the exact same costume with the same item number and the same price but guess what??? IT HAS A HAT! It is clearly written in the item description. They do sell an accessory kit that has a hat and dagger too. However, I want to know why my costume which is identical down to the code doesn't have a hat.

So, I called up the Disney store and asked them why and she (same girl as last night) said, "I don't know, I'll have to ask my manager. Then she went on saying that just because it is offered online doesn't mean they'll get the same thing in the store." Finally after some more talking, she said for me to call back tomorrow and she hung up!! :confused3

Also, I sent an email last night to the Disney Store online asking them if mine should have a hat but I haven't heard back yet.

What should I do?? :confused3

I'd call the store tomorrow and hopefully get someone more helpful on the phone. I'd say something like, I don't know what happened, but it appears that my costume was supposed to come with a hat. Do you think I could stop by and pick up the hat this afternoon? See if you get a better response from someone else! Good luck!

OMGoodness! I am soooo upset!! I just went online to post the link to the costume I looked up LAST NIGHT and it has changed completely! They have taken the portion that says describes the hat away!! ARGH!! Now how am I gonna prove anything??? I swear it said it came with the hat! I should have printed it out!!

Now what??? I know I can get it with the accessory set but it is the idea of it all that makes me fuming mad!!:mad:

OMGoodness! I am soooo upset!! I just went online to post the link to the costume I looked up LAST NIGHT and it has changed completely! They have taken the portion that says describes the hat away!! ARGH!! Now how am I gonna prove anything??? I swear it said it came with the hat! I should have printed it out!!

Now what??? I know I can get it with the accessory set but it is the idea of it all that makes me fuming mad!!:mad:

Do a Google search on "disneyshopping.com Peter Pan costume hat". The first result should be the current Peter Pan costume page. Instead of clicking on that link, click on the cached page. You'll see the old description which clearly lists the hat as an included item.

You could print this off as your proof, but--since the description has been changed--I don't know if it will do any good. I'd say it's worth a try though. Good luck!

Well, the problem is that when we let ds try the costume on at the store, the CM said, "Don't you want to wear it home tonight??" And ds, of course, said, " Yeah!!!!" and so I said we were going to buy it. I was not going to let him it wear it out of the store b/c I didn't want him to ruin it before the MNSSHP (and with our luck with spills lately, he would have ruined it) but I didn't say anything to her b/c I was trying to be polite. I was letting ds look at the pile of stuffed animals and the TV while I looked at $5.00 t-shirts for the trip when I turned around and saw her rip the tag off the costume. She said, "I'm gonna take this off so you sweetie (talking to my son) so mommy can pay for it and you can wear it home." I know she was only trying to help and I should have said, "No...let's wait and wear it to the party" but I wasn't really concerned about it and was gonna have ds take the costume off to pay for it.

So...now the tag is off and he has worn it...I suppose I will just have to suck it up and pay the dern $$ for the accessory kit. Luckily, they are having FREE shipping on the Halloween stuff and I have a DVisa so I can get 15% off of that! Still it is the whole point of CMs not knowing their stuff and then I think more than anything I am mad about the website changing within hours of my email to the company...blah!:headache:

Do a Google search on "disneyshopping.com Peter Pan costume hat". The first result should be the current Peter Pan costume page. Instead of clicking on that link, click on the cached page. You'll see the old description which clearly lists the hat as an included item.

You could print this off as your proof, but--since the description has been changed--I don't know if it will do any good. I'd say it's worth a try though. Good luck!

Ok...I'm gonna try that right now...but I did find a disclaimer on the website about their web changes...grrrr!

Thanks for the info! I am gonna print that sucker out just in case and just so I don't feel like a crazy person who imagined the whole thing! HA!:crazy:

Got the page printed but it says it was like this on Aug. 22...but not yesterday, Aug. 28.

Well...at least I'm not a crazy nut that is having hallucinations! :lmao:

I just read your post about the DS employee taking the tag off the costume. WTH?!!!

I agree that she was just trying to be nice, but I've never heard of a store clerk removing a tag on an item that is returnable. I would be so ticked off!

I haven't worked at TDS in years (back when it was owned by Disney the first time)...but back then...the Peter Pan costume did NOT come with the hat.. EVERYTHING was seperate....
Dunno that necessarily makes you feel better, but I don't think you got ripped off. SOmetimes online does run better promos because they usually get you in the shipping.... :confused3

I would look into if you will be allowed to wear the costume at MNSSHP. They do allow you to dress up but I thought there was a rule against people dressing up as Disney characters because they don't want people getting confused between cast members and other guests.

....as a side note that means nothing to nobody but me, I am totally going to be there Holloween night! :yay:

I wonder if it was a misprint online and someone caught it after your call to correct it. But, still if it is online, then it should be honored...but you didn;t buy it online. I know I have bought seceral disney store costumes for DD and none came with the crown or brocaided headpiece. I had to buy the shoes, wands, crowns all extra...Oh and Ariels wigm, and Cinderellas hair ERGH.

If I were you as it is felt, why not buy a piece, and a feather if you like and make it. Make a pattern, fit to son and tack it.

As far as dressing as characters, I do not think that ever applied to children. Seems ever MNSSHp I saw a lot of Pirates and princess adults. even a Pooh.:confused3
Di

My son bought the costume at Disney and it had a hat with it

I would look into if you will be allowed to wear the costume at MNSSHP. They do allow you to dress up but I thought there was a rule against people dressing up as Disney characters because they don't want people getting confused between cast members and other guests.

....as a side note that means nothing to nobody but me, I am totally going to be there Holloween night! :yay:

they have issues with what adults wear but kids can be anything they want.

I just got the Peter Pan costume I ordered from the website, and it does not have a hat either. The description definitely said it did, though. :mad:

ETA: OK, now I am upset. I am very certain that the description when I ordered said the hat was included, and you could buy the other accessories separately. *Now* the description says the hat is part of the accessory set. Now if I want the hat I have to do another order and pay shipping again (plus my DS doesn't really need the accessories since he's 2 and will probably just hit people with them). Grrrr.

When I worked at TDS--the costumes were not the same as online. TDS and disneyonline while both sell Disney items and sometimes almost the same thing, they often have different sales from each other and small tweaks in the items --such as the hat vs no hat. I think they are still different entities.

Children may wear Disney themed costumes adults -- they are pickier about.

I don't know anything about this really, but I'm sitting here wondering how they can sell a Peter Pan costume without the hat. Isn't the hat the most important part of the costume? You aren't really Peter Pan without the hat.

As one of the other posters suggested earlier, I would call the store, ask to speak to the manager and tell him/her you bought the costume yesterday and it's missing the hat. You live an hour away and would like them to mail it to you. Don't ask - tell.

Good luck!

This year's costume does not come with a hat. The hat is part of an accessory that includes a bow/arrow set. Our store has not received it yet, along with some other accessories to other costumes. The Peter Pan costumes sometimes include hats and sometimes do not. Hopefully, your store will get it soon, or you can order it from Disneystore.com. I checked this am and it says it is in stock. Hope this helps

I don't know anything about this really, but I'm sitting here wondering how they can sell a Peter Pan costume without the hat. Isn't the hat the most important part of the costume? You aren't really Peter Pan without the hat.

The same way you have pay extra $$$$ for the tiara/crown if you buy a princess costume. Accessories such as crowns, scepters, slippers/shoes, handbags, etc. do not come with the costume.

What about the boy who wants to be PP but won't wear the hat? Or the boy who wants to be PP but his parents won't let him have a sword? These parents would complain just as much if they were forced to pay for these items as the parents who complain they need to be sold together.

Anyone can dress up at the Halloween parties, including adults. The rule is that adults are not allowed to enter the park costumed before the party or costumed any other day. Adults can dress up as Disney characters during the party but they are not allowed to sign autographs or pretend that they are actual Disney characters. If an adult dressed up looks to much like the actual Disney character and causes confusion among guests, security might ask the adult to change or leave the park. I have heard of that happening only on a few instances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter