• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not going to the parks?

rchristiansen

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever done a WDW trip and NOT gone to the parks? I have a conference in Orlando in July and am thinking about taking DD & DH with me and using DVC points. But we will have just been to DLR in April 2011 and we went to WDW twice last year. Every year we go we talk about all the other stuff we want to do - Mini Golf, Boating, Downtown Disney, Pools, etc - but never get around to doing much of it.

Anyone ever do a non-Park WDW trip? What was your itinerary?

Has anyone ever done a WDW trip and NOT gone to the parks? I have a conference in Orlando in July and am thinking about taking DD & DH with me and using DVC points. But we will have just been to DLR in April 2011 and we went to WDW twice last year. Every year we go we talk about all the other stuff we want to do - Mini Golf, Boating, Downtown Disney, Pools, etc - but never get around to doing much of it.

Anyone ever do a non-Park WDW trip? What was your itinerary?

We have been to WDW 28 times since 1997, and we have found that the idea of going there without visiting at least one park just kills the thrill of going. It's kinda like going on a cruise and then never leaving the ship to take advantage of the ports. IMO if you attempt a trip to WDW and make it a point to NOT visit at least one park you will walk away with a feeling of "what was the point?" In our experience we have been able to visit pools, play mini-golf, etc. as well as visiting parks. Those are the very cool extras that make the trip even more memorable. Understanding the additional cost of park tickets, I would still recommend you put together your itinerary and at least plan on purchasing tickets to attend one of the parks. As I said, if you don't you'll go back home feeling like you missed out.

I'm not asking IF we should do a non-park trip, I'm asking what did others do on a non-Park trip? What was your itinerary?
I don't think I'd feel like I was missing out. In fact, because we are such frequent visitors, I asked my DD8 what she thought about that and she thought it was a cool idea.

In fact, I think I feel like I have missed out on the last trip or two because we spent too much time following touring plans and walking around the parks. I love all the other details of WDW just as much as the parks.

Plus I made a vow not to go to WDW parks in the summer ever ever again -- it's too darn hot.

DH & I did two nonpark long weekends in 2010. We enjoyed the pools, toured the resorts, shopped Downtown Disney, and ate well. :lovestruc

We do this often. We both have family in Florida and close to WDW and most years we visit them several times. I think this past year we were on property at WDW three times without setting foot in a park. We enjoy visiting the resorts (especially during the holidays to see the decorations), people watching, wandering through DTD (especially that stop for a sample at Ghirardellii), trying a new restaurant. I think one day we spent the entire time wandering DTD and then riding the boats over to Port Orleans and wandering around there.

My folks are DVC members and often take a trip just to relax at the resort and enjoy the pool and atmosphere (heck, we stayed on-site even before they bought and did the same thing.) I think you could have a wonderful, unique experience that still felt very Disney without the crowds and rush. If you have a chance, explore Fort Wilderness and visit Tri-circle D Ranch!

. If you have a chance, explore Fort Wilderness and visit Tri-circle D Ranch!

That's a great idea! We always head over to Fort Wilderness for Hoop or Trails End, and then only spend a little time at the playground and all the other activities (horseback riding, boats) are closed by then.

We love visiting Tri-circle D. One of my favorite photos is my Mom with the cow that has a hidden Mickey on her side. I also (as a grown-up princess) would still get misty seeing Cinderella's ponies. If the Electric Water Parade is still running, the beach at the Fort would be a great place to watch; one of my most vivid memories from our trips when I was little. We also have spent a fun afternoon at Celebration looking at the homes, window shopping at the shops, and at the Sales Office.

There are also some wonderful things to do outside of WDW in the central Florida area. I actually think our non-park trips have been just as / more magical because it feels like we live at WDW and aren't there on a theme park vacation, but are coming home after a day-trip. Oh, you might want to check out Gaylord Palms one day, it's pretty impressive and there's a lot to see just wandering in the lobby.

I'm not asking IF we should do a non-park trip, I'm asking what did others do on a non-Park trip? What was your itinerary?
I don't think I'd feel like I was missing out. In fact, because we are such frequent visitors, I asked my DD8 what she thought about that and she thought it was a cool idea.

In fact, I think I feel like I have missed out on the last trip or two because we spent too much time following touring plans and walking around the parks. I love all the other details of WDW just as much as the parks.

Plus I made a vow not to go to WDW parks in the summer ever ever again -- it's too darn hot.
We stayed at Poly this summer and didn't go to the parks, we had grand plans of recreation and other things, but mostly just bummed around the hotels, lounged around by the pool, spent some time at DTD, it was SO nice to just wake up whenever you wanted and not think about lines, transportation or anything else. probably the most relaxing Disney trip I've ever been on,

We did! We stayed at the Beach and Yacht Club. We spent the entire trip (only 4 days) enjoying the pool, the Boardwalk and Downtown Disney. We rented movies and the kids did all of the activities that were offered around the resort pool. It was truly one of the most relaxing trips we have ever taken and the kids loved it! We were able to see the fireworks from Illuminations from our room which was a bonus!

I wouldn't want to do this every time, but we really did enjoy our resort only vacation!

Never did this exactly, but always keep a few days with no itinerary to enjoy the pool, boardwalk, and downtown. We go alot as well and because i've done everything I think this is a great idea. There are so many things to do at the resorts that people miss because they are so worried about seeing everything at the parks.

The resort activities are a great idea. My daughter just LOVES the community halls at the DVC resorts. We only get to spend an hour or two there -- any thoughts on which DVC resort has the best community hall? I"m leaning toward Kidani Village - they have the balcony overlooking the savanna.

I would go to DTD check out the hotels.You could also do to Seaworld if you have never been.Sure you could find other things to see and do in Orlando becsides going to Disney

:surfweb: SSR is a great resort if you'll be spending alot of time at DTD, and they have great pools, and have a great Community Hall and events for Children, we love it there and our children love staying there as well. :love:

Also, you can go offsite and go down International Drive there are alot of great places to go and things to do and if your not spending the money on the park tickets, you can eat at nicer places, go to the spa one day, my DD and I spent the day at SSR Spa, got pedi's and mani's while the DH & DS spent that time at the pool. You can also hop on the busses and visit other Resorts and see what all they have to offer. Best of luck on what ever you deside! Have a Magical Day/Trip!:tink:

My boyfriend and I spent one night at POR after leaving a cruise in Port Canaveral. We got to the hotel around 10am on Friday and left about 4pm the next day on Saturday. On Friday, we walked all over Downtown Disney taking the water taxi, went in pool at our hotel, then got cleaned up and went to the Contemporary for dinner, then took the monorail over to the Grand Floridian to look around, and then took the monorail to the Polynesian and walked around and got a spot on the beach for the boat show and fireworks. The next day we went the Boardwalk and did that little area, walked over to Yacht & Beach Club and got ice cream at Beaches & Cream, and then went back to POR and got lunch before heading to the airport. If we had more time, I would have liked to walk around some more of the hotels to see what we liked and didn't like, since that's something we don't really do or have time for on a "normal trip".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter