Not excited for this trip at all…

A friend is at WDW now and I am set to go tomorrow. The crowds are ridiculous, lines are long and Genie + is difficult to use. I believe I am set to use Genie + only once on a Magic Kingdom day. Might end up scrapping that and going to the swimming pool and springs for lunch. good weather at least

I think the big difference with alot of people is their feelings towards spending their money and getting what they feel they paid for. I see people on the boards spend thousands on their vacation, say they couldn't barely ride rides because of crowds, say other negatives about their trip but then say, "next trip will probably be better, no worries". As a person who values the dollar and works hard for my money, I have a problem with spending thousands for a vacation and extra for "Genie" and then it not working. I would be annoyed if I got Genie for our family and spend an EXTRA $75 and then it had no value to us. I see some other posters got it, it didn't work and they just didn't get it again but didn't seem to be upset about wasting their money. Some people don't get upset about spending/wasting/not getting their money's worth etc and others do! I am not saying one is right or wrong, I am just saying I see a big difference in people's opinions towards spending their money and getting what they feel they deserve from their purchase.

Were you there thanksgiving week? Not sure if I will keep our trip if the crowds are too much. Just not enjoyable to me.
Yes. And as I’ve said before, I’ve been every holiday week except Easter and Christmas (and had great Thanksgiving trips in the past) and never had an experience like this.

if you buy Genie + and end up getting on two rides, nobody's going to think that is a good deal. that is why I would never use it at Epcot or AK. they do not have enough attractions.

A friend is at WDW now and I am set to go tomorrow. The crowds are ridiculous, lines are long and Genie + is difficult to use. I believe I am set to use Genie + only once on a Magic Kingdom day. Might end up scrapping that and going to the swimming pool and springs for lunch. good weather at least
I'm Here now (on standby line for slinky dog). It's stupid crowded and G+ is a nightmare.

We've managed to book 2 LL (ToT and RnRc). While waiting for those times to come due, I am watching all the other availability die off. Plus we can't do rerides with G+.

Rode standby on Rise at 8:05...oh and despite me checking with multiple CMs that the park opens to resort guests at 8:30, they started running rides at 8am.

After Rise we did standby on Smugglers run.

Then we did standby on Slinky at 47 minutes right at 9am.

RnRC LL next at 10:10 then we got in a 50 minute long standby line for MMRR.

We have a 12:50 ill$ for Rise again...

Then LL for ToT at 1:50.

After that if there are no good rides left on G+ we will leave.

What it comes down to for me is acceptance. I knew from the beginning that Genie+ was not going to work for our family. Every 2 years we take 1 or 2 of my brothers 6 kids to WDW. Next June we are taking the last 3. I had FP down to a science. Genie+ just will not work for how we do the parks in the summer. I’ve come to terms with it. We’ve decided to probably buy it for at least one HS day for SDD and possibly buy some $ILL. Otherwise we are just going to use Early Entry and stand in line. For me being on my phone all day, trying to figure out stacking or refreshing or whatever is not worth the stress. I’ll stand in line. I stood in line in January. It was fine. Good luck OP!

I have to say, I am far less excited about our upcoming spring trip than I usually would be for a Disney trip. We rent DVC so we're pretty much locked in... but if I'd known when I booked what I know now, this trip wouldn't be happening. I'm crossing my fingers they get things worked out before we go, but at this point I'm not expecting much. I know a lot of people will say, "oh well cancel if you don't like it," but I really feel like we, as consumers/guests/Disney fans, do have a right to be disappointed in a company we've trusted and patronized for YEARS. No matter how much I *have* loved Disney, I'm not about to bury my head in the sand out of misplaced loyalty. It's like saying you should stay in a bad relationship, because it was good ten years ago.

We've managed to book 2 LL (ToT and RnRc). While waiting for those times to come due, I am watching all the other availability die off. Plus we can't do rerides with G+.

Rode standby on Rise at 8:05...oh and despite me checking with multiple CMs that the park opens to resort guests at 8:30, they started running rides at 8am.

After Rise we did standby on Smugglers run.

Then we did standby on Slinky at 47 minutes right at 9am.

RnRC LL next at 10:10 then we got in a 50 minute long standby line for MMRR.

We have a 12:50 ill$ for Rise again...

Then LL for ToT at 1:50.

After that if there are no good rides left on G+ we will leave.

So if we purchase Genie+ and get a morning wait time to return to let's say RNRC and after we get off and enjoy the park some, we can't get another genie+ for RNRC for later in the day, if we decide we want to ride it again?

So if we purchase Genie+ and get a morning wait time to return to let's say RNRC and after we get off and enjoy the park some, we can't get another genie+ for RNRC for later in the day, if we decide we want to ride it again?
I believe that is correct. You would do standby line.

I have such happy memories of my family’s trips to DW the last 6 years. I was always excited about the next time we could go back. For the first time, I’m not excited. I’m really actually dreading this trip. Just when I had FastPass strategies down that worked for our family, they go and implement this horrible new system. It feels like a blatant rip off from everything I’m reading. Congratulations Disney, you made your parks something I couldn’t wait to get back to, to something I’m going to be extremely hesitant to spend my money on going forward after this next trip. I hope this new Genie+ backfires spectacularly on them.
If I were you, I’d cancel and do a Disney Cruise . We JUST literally got back from the Disney Dream and we were in heaven!! No crowds, social distancing, extra special attention to detail because of no crowds , our own table every night at dinner .. total bliss !! We get to Magic Kingdom on Monday and it’s hell lol . The Genie has so many glitches , the parks WiFi went down , mass crowds everywhere!!! Insanely busy !!!!! Do the cruise !! I promise , best decision you will make !!

After more than 10 years here, my numbers on posting are really low. I’m going to WDW for Christmas week, I live in FL so I have FL resident discount. We’re staying at music for Christmas week. Im counting my blessings🙏. So we are going to celebrate at our favorite place on earth for family vacation. There’s going to be a few thousands people🤔 I don’t care. We just want to be there and give thanks for all our blessings this past year🙏🎅🏻 If I have to do my bed, take my trash out and so and so; it’s my choice, it’s where I want to be. It’s the only time of the year that I have my whole family together for breakfast, lunch an dinner together🥰 and for me that’s priceless🙏🙏🙏🙏 🙏

If I wasn’t excited about a specific vacation (no matter where in the world), I’d probably just scrap it and do something else. No sense in spending that much money to not feel like you’re getting what you want out of it.

We have been back twice this year and enjoyed both visits. No Genie+ then Genie+. Super empty then super crowded. Rode a lot of attractions then didn’t ride as many. Both were exceptionally different, but we had a blast both times. I think if short lines are going to make or break your happiness at WDW right now, it probably would be best to not go. Everyone should do what’s best for them, but I’ve learned life is to too short to get upset at a theme park vacation. So many other amazing places to visit in the world (which are also expensive and not perfect in their own ways). I think the majority of our happiness is our mindset. We cannot rely on external factors (ie other people, places, objects) to provide and sustain our happiness. Eventually we set ourselves for disappointment. Something I’m trying to teach my high school kids in the classroom everyday right now.

When we feel like it’s not worth going anymore, we just won’t go anymore. And that’s okay. Recognize that it’s not working for ya and make a change.

We leave today and I can honestly say this is the first time I’ve not been excited. If this wasn’t a trip my kids got for Christmas 2 years ago that was postponed I would’ve cancelled and spent the money elsewhere. I’ve been going to Disney since I was a toddler and have brought my kids almost every year and have done multiple Disney cruises and I hate that I feel this way. The part I’m hating the most is knowing I’m going to have to be up early every morning stressing and worrying about LL, on my phone through out the day. I’ve spent more hours than I can count trying to figure out this system and finally thought I had it figured out yesterday to hear it all changed again. I hate the 2:00 hopper and park reservations. Disney is just too much planning, and too stressful to be enjoyable anymore! At least before all the planning was out of the way months ahead of time so you could enjoy your trip. I’m going to try to go in with a positive attitude and enjoy the time with my family but this will propably be it for us.

Yes. I am in this same situation now for a trip coming up. I am not a Negative Nelly person, but I am just SO discouraged by what I have read, the changes, etc. Like you, I told my kids we would go before I knew of all the negative changes. Making me more discouraged is that this is my first trip going since I have known I have celiac disease, and I cannot get dining reservations any of the places people recommend for good gluten free experiences. So, I have zero ADRs.
ANYway, I am wondering and hoping that your trip turned out fabulous and fun! Any update? I can still cancel mine for a few more days...

We went in early December and had an absolute blast. Food was great, atmosphere was great. Is everything exactly the same as pre-covid? No, but my "real life" isn't the same as pre-covid. We had an awesome time and I'm already trying to nail down when we can go back.

We are locals (live 6 miles behind MK) with Annual Passes, and we are in the parks multiple times each week.

Yes, there are crowds on most days -- people are excited to finally be able to travel again. And yes a lot has changed in the parks from what things were like prior to Covid. Prices have gone up everywhere, not just at Disney. Supply chains continue to be impacted. Our world is different now.

All that to say that Disney can still be enjoyable when approached with the right attitude. If you don't want to get up early every morning, then don't. If using Genie+ and ILLS causes you stress, or you feel they are not worth the $ (in our opinion, they aren't), then don't buy them. If rope drop crowds cause anxiety for anyone in your travel party, then wait and go into the parks an hour later. In general, there is not much advantage to being in the parks early these days -- we find the crowds (and many of the attraction stand-by wait times) often tend to be lower in the evenings any ways. If you prefer to take a relaxed, slower paced approach to your vacation, then do it. Take time to look at all the small details that most people rush past and never see. Talk to the CMs and listen to what they have to share -- many of our most memorable experiences have come from conversing with Cast Members (and sometimes unexpected pixie-dust happens as a result).

The magic is still alive and well, even if the over-all experience has changed. It is all in how you choose to approach your vacation.

We are locals (live 6 miles behind MK) with Annual Passes, and we are in the parks multiple times each week.

Yes, there are crowds on most days -- people are excited to finally be able to travel again. And yes a lot has changed in the parks from what things were like prior to Covid. Prices have gone up everywhere, not just at Disney. Supply chains continue to be impacted. Our world is different now.

All that to say that Disney can still be enjoyable when approached with the right attitude. If you don't want to get up early every morning, then don't. If using Genie+ and ILLS causes you stress, or you feel they are not worth the $ (in our opinion, they aren't), then don't buy them. If rope drop crowds cause anxiety for anyone in your travel party, then wait and go into the parks an hour later. In general, there is not much advantage to being in the parks early these days -- we find the crowds (and many of the attraction stand-by wait times) often tend to be lower in the evenings any ways. If you prefer to take a relaxed, slower paced approach to your vacation, then do it. Take time to look at all the small details that most people rush past and never see. Talk to the CMs and listen to what they have to share -- many of our most memorable experiences have come from conversing with Cast Members (and sometimes unexpected pixie-dust happens as a result).

The magic is still alive and well, even if the over-all experience has changed. It is all in how you choose to approach your vacation.

That's lovely. And it is encouraging to hear that you are still enjoying going so often.

Sounds like you either need to cancel or adjust your attitude towards the trip. Going in thinking it will be a disaster will most likely end up that way.
I also think it's unfair to judge Genie+ before you actually use it. We loved it on our December trip and found it pretty easy to get used to, for whatever that's worth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter