Not even a brain tumor can keep me away from WDW!

$800 definitely not in my budget. D- want to give me some tips on how to do this without breaking the bank. Also where do you guys get your templates or do you make your own?

Don't get me started, because I'll point you in the direction of vintage machines, all the way... That's all I sew on. If you're lucky, like I was, you'll find a nice one at Goodwill for $10... refurb it yourself (I'd be happy to point you in the right direction for that too)... Refurbing it yourself will cost you more than the machine... Prob about $30 for supplies and another average of $20 for parts, depending on what that specific machine needs to be done.

I don't recommend the wal-mart machines for $100... they are more of a headache than what they are worth, and you'll wind of hating sewing before you begin. :eek: At least, that's what I hear. I suspect my first 2 brother machines were Walmart machines from the late 80's - and they were good to me, but they never did a perfect stitch and made all of my appliques look like they were done by a toddler.

Any vintage Singer (Model 500 series or lower) will do good by you, the bones of the machine will always be good - very rarely do they ever go bad. You can see my vintage machines, if you wish, in my table of contents on my PTR... Patience is the most wonderful machine ever - and if a human could ever love a machine - I love her. I can sit down at her, and she is like an extension of my hands - I can almost sew on her with my eyes closed. :lovestruc Mr. Rocket, OTOH, is a PITA, but I would never say that out loud in front of him... He is a man all the way, and a total baby... will only sew with certain thread (and it isn't the cheap stuff)... Heaven forbid if he has a speck of dust in him... :headache:

As for my appliques, Heather's most awesome tutorial is the best one around - it's the only one I learned from: http://disboutique.blogspot.com/2008/04/bestest-applique-tutorial.html It's kind of expensive for the supplies to start up, they only sell the stuff in large quantities. To be honest, I just ran out of my supplies, and I've been doing mass ammounts of appliques for months (see PTR). Heather gives excellent ideas about where to find applique templates too. :)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

D~

I actually have two machines (one is very vintage, an antique machine with a foot pedal- not electric) and another that was my grandmas. It is probably late 70s early 80s. It is a Singer, still looks great as she took very good care of it. It has been stored away in my closet for years though. The vintage one is hiding currently because my son went through a destructive phase early on after he joined our family but it was the first machine my oldest daughter ever used. I could bring either out to try, I kind of want to try to see if I even have the ability before I spend money, if you know what I mean. I am thinking start with something simple, maybe a mickey head?

The tutorial looks simple enough, think I will have to try it out this week. I have a ton of craft supplies from extra fabric reminents to embroidery floss, etc. thanks

Any time... I'll bet that treadle of yours does one fantastic straight stitch...

And your mom's machine might be a great zig-zagger for appliques... The next time you think of it - let me know what the model # is (so I can drool... Not kidding)... :thumbsup2

Just make sure you clean them up good and give them a nice oiling before you run them at full speed. :thumbsup2

D~

So I just posted this and somehow it got deleted. No clue what happened. Anyway, here is a pic of the treadle. It is not my pic but it looks exactly like this one down to the ornate work. I cant take a pic of mine because my son decided it would be fun to use my camera batteries to power lightening mcqueen and now they are dead.
1908-singer-treadle-sewing-machine_4832084.jpg
[/IMG]

We have only used it a few times but it did work. We primarily used it as furniture in our formal living area. Might pull it out again cause Luke is less likely to damage it now. It was special to me because my great grandma gave it to me and I do not want it damaged.

I need to get Jerome a planning book. I really want his input on this and I am thinking maybe a book for kids would be good. It wouldnt overload him with info and he could show the girls too. What do you think?

I can't tell, because the picture is from so far away - but it looks like a Singer with Phoenix decals, a beautiful machine! :)

D~

I need to get Jerome a planning book. I really want his input on this and I am thinking maybe a book for kids would be good. It wouldnt overload him with info and he could show the girls too. What do you think?

Birnbaum has really nice guides and there is one specially for kids. It has really nice pics, reviews and comments by kids, and easy to understand codes for the rides so they know just by looking at the pictures if it is scary, if you get wet, ex.

I also know that Passporters was selling some old 2010 books on their website for $1 Plus shipping. If you need to get a couple of books this might be a good deal for you, but I don't know how good it is for kids. (What do you think D? You have one, right?)

I have 5 - remember? LOL

My girls liked them the last time we went... But they are not "kid like" as in, not a bunch of pictures - where Birnbaums is more photos and kid friendly - IMO.

D~

The Cast:

Photo2128FourBySix-1.jpg

Still no word if dd 18 will be attending, she has college, work, and a whole separate life. She loved WDW until her last trip and she decided she wasnt all that into it anymore :sad:

Also, my brother and his two little girls are planning on going with us this trip.
So adding to the trip

Great picture!! Was that taken the day we met you and your awesome family?

I'm so excited to be included in your planning! Sorry I didn't see your link until today. The pm you sent me didn't show up until the one your sent today, and there they both were. Can't wait to see you all again. Luke and JJ are going to have a blast together. I love how well they get along and "get" each other.

I hope everyone in the family gets to go, though I remember how stressful your last trip was at times with your oldest deciding she wasn't into it all that much. We have that too with our 18 year old at times. It's not that he's not into Disney just that he's more into sleeping in late and staying up late. He was all game for up to 3am EMH, lol.

For Jerome, I'd suggest Guide to the Magic For Kids by Tim Foster. It's a guidebook, journal, photos, stickers, Autographs and More (and for Parents too!)

Let the planning begin as you beat this tumor! Who knows maybe by the trip everything will be going great and we can go looking around at houses for a bit while you are here!

Tink, glad you finally made it! I think that pic was taken the day we met you all at Epcot. Kara was off being difficult- who goes to WDW and goes to movies every night in DTD and sleeps the day away? Guess it still frustrates me. While I really want her to go because it really isnt a family trip without her, I think I am almost relieved that she doesnt want to because her unwillingness to do anything with us was a constant issue the entire last trip. I cant wait to go. Luke is constantly asking about JJ. Luke usually isnt all that social but they really connected. He cant wait to see him again. We will have to plan some meets while we are there. Would be great if Stephen got some interest on his resume near you guys. Praying that it will happen. He has stopped sending out resumes for now as he has a good job and he doesnt want to leave me for interview or anything else while I am in treatment. The plan is 6 months of radiation, hopefully no more. Then I still will have 4 months to get back to normal. I am also working on weight loss goals- going pretty good since the meds they are giving me are making me sick- trying to stay positive about it all.

Today, I am going to most likely bore you with the trips of Disney past. You see, I have never actually done a tr that keep people on board so I figure I must just be very boring... lol. Anyway, feeling the need for a little magic, so naturally reminiscing.

Our first trip ever was spring break 2006. The trip started as an idea when I asked dh how we should celebrate the finalization of creating our family through adoption. He suggested that we take a family vacation Disney style. At the time, Jess was struggling with some health issues and had been suggested by her doctor for Make a Wish and dh and I instantly thought Walt Disney World. When MAW was brought up to her, she said her wish had already come true- she got the daddy she had asked for. Strangely all she ever wanted was a cool dad when she was younger- I imagine as a teen she sometimes wishes she hadnt asked, :rotfl2: That was when dh decided we were going to WDW and he gave me the task of planning the perfect trip. She was in remission by December and while I had done a little research, I began full blown trip planning in January when I found the disboards and was bit by the planning bug. By March, we were there! This trip was truly perfect. While we didnt see everything, didnt do everything, and even had our plans changed a few times over, it really was a perfect trip. Kara and Jess chose Pop to stay at and loved it.
kjtwister.jpg

kjgoofy-Copy.jpg

kjmickeytrreat.jpg

By this picture, Kara was tiring of taking pics, lol.

We only managed to visit each of the parks once during our trip but got there early each day and stayed late into the evening. Jess spent each afternoon sleeping in her stroller while Stephen and Kara rode thrill rides. Kara found that she loved coasters and Jess fell in love with the characters and penny presses.

jbrotherbear.jpg

jessajessie.jpg

jgoat2-Copy.jpg

dadjess.jpg

We spent a day at DTD, where we shopped and shopped some more.

kjbuzz.jpg

We had many character meals and enjoyed every one!

kjeyeore2.jpg

kcinderella-Copy.jpg

But our favorite was at Ohana! Kara asked us to schedule this one because Ohana means family and we finally were one. What a way to celebrate!

kpluto_bf1.jpg

kjstitch_bf.jpg

Before the trip was over, we knew this was not going to be the one time trip we had once imagined. We were hooked and were already figuring out how to get back!

Today, I am going to most likely bore you with the trips of Disney past. You see, I have never actually done a tr that keep people on board so I figure I must just be very boring... lol. Anyway, feeling the need for a little magic, so naturally reminiscing.

I am laughing about the boring comment because I feel that way too.

Neither one of you amazing ladies are boring! :love:

Totally love your mini TR! I wouldn't be upset if you shared more details or pictures! How old were the girls?

You just reminisce all you want! We'll be along for the ride! Nothing passes the time better than talking about WDW! :thumbsup2

I know what you mean. It seems as if I end up talking to myself when I am writing my TR's, but than again I am still wrighting my May one so maybe people just get sick of waiting on me.:lmao:

I love the walk down memory late, can't read more about your past WDW trips.

I just feel like I am always talking to myself - no matter which of my PTRs I happen to be posting in. :)

You are hardly boring... Honest. I would love to see pictures and hear more about your past trips! :)

D~

I swear I posted pics with that, lol. Well its fixed now. Not sure what happened, I am blaming it on technogy, lol, even though its probably really my lack of technical skills, hehe. The girls were 13 and 9 at the time of our first trip, though its hard to believe that Jess was 9, poor girl wore a size 6 in little girls. She was so tiny. This pic shows it best...

jessvader1.jpg

Almost felt sorry for Darth Vader as he attempted to guard the family jewels... :rotfl2:

As for the TR, I have never actually finished one. I start off strong and then I find I am posting to myself and I end up stopping before they are done. Life always gets in the way.

I have spent the morning visiting the old photos and I find myself getting weepy. They were so little and sweet and they loved us so much. I am sure they still love us but now they are teens... any of you who have teens understand this comment I am sure. For those who dont, with the teen years come the I know more than you do attitude, so and so's parents are cooler than you guys, and do I really have to take a picture with you guys state of mind. With Jess, I have avoided it until recently. Thankfully, Walt Disney World brings out the 5 year old in her. Kara had a great first trip, but I noticed that future trips were not as lovely. Our second trip, she spent a little less time with us and a little more time in single rider lines on her cell. There were even less photos that included her and less smiles that made it all the way to her eyes. This last trip, she was hot, bored, and really acted as though she was too cool for Walt Disney World. I hear this is a normal teen attitude for many, but I hope my other two never feel that way. I am 35 years old :scared1: and I dont think there is ever an age where one is to cool for Disney. It seems the younger years go by to fast and we became a family later than I would have planned (if God had gone with my plans) so I am feeling weepy that I didnt get to be there for so much and now Kara just moved into her first apartment and Jess is in high school. Guess I am having a crazy emotional day.

More pics from that first trip...

mickey_bf4.jpg

kjpooh2.jpg

kjleyeore.jpg

jwoodyjessie2.jpg

jkshats2.jpg

If it is any consolation - I cried several times yesterday because it is only 2 weeks until my youngest's 1st birthday - and I am just **not** ready for her to not be a little baby anymore!

But... I was feeling a little better today and guess what? After trying unsucessfully for 3 weeks, I got 8:30am ressies for breaksfast at chef mickey's on her birthday! :-)

So excited! My first choice was dinner but I actually think this will work out better. We aren't generally morning people, but **ONE DAY** we can be up and out by 8! :-) **Disney Magic** :-)

I look forward to hearing more about your upcoming trip. Had to laugh about your DH. My husband is NOT a planner. He would get *into* it in the past on the plane ride down - drove me nuts!

In August, he didn't understand why I was freaking out planning a 10 day trip for us (6yo, 4yo and 6month old) with 3 days (yes, you read that correctly) notice! He was in Fl and we met him there! But, it all worked out!

:welcome: My husband is not really a planner either, he is usually spontaneous, but when it comes to our kids, he really wants to make each moment count. He wont let me plan down to the second or anything but he likes to have a general plan, of course, he doesnt like to do it, so I get that job. Lucky for me, because planning is almost as fun as the trip itself!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter