• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not Enough To Do For Young Kids at WDW?!!!!

minmate

I can show you the world... Don't you dare close y
What?!!!! That's what I was thinking too when dd5's classmate's mother complained that their Spring Break Trip to WDW yielded them with this insight! Her kids are 5, 3 and 15 months (approx.) -- What on Earth was she talking about?

She also complained that it was SOOOOOO packed! Her dh is a teacher and they can't take off other times of the year apparently.

I'm not sure what she was expecting for the kids or for the crowds. I started to ask her the typical questions... (they didn't stay on-site either) Did you use Fast Pass? Did you go early in the morning? She stared at me blankly and that's when she said, "There's just not enough for the kids to do there!"

Um, okay as I got in my car and scratched my noggin wondering why 8 days seemed like barely enough time for us when we went with four kids ages 2-6 just a few weeks ago!

IMHO, this is what happens when someone does zero planning before a WDW trip. I'm not suggesting that everyone needs a spreadsheet, but if you don't do some initial investigation, that's when you end up standing at the Hub end of Main Street - ascrowds of folks swirl around you - and say to your family "So, what is there to do?"

In addition - as minmate obviously knows - to go to WDW with young children (roughly 5 or under) takes additional preparation and effort (and LOADS of patience) to be successful. You can't just walk up to Dumbo with a group like that at 2PM on a spring day and expect to walk right on; a 45 minute wait is more likely.

Maybe there wasn't enough things for young kids to do there that she wanted to do? Got me on that one. :confused3

We were there for 6 days and barely scratched the surface of all the fun...

next time you talk to her, tell her about the disboards...mentioning that if she thinks about another trip sometime in the future she'll get an idea of some of the "hidden" things, great little things, and other options.

Oooooohhhkaaaayyy. That's a different take on WDW. And here DH and I couldn't find enough time to do everything we wanted to with our DD2 on her first visit to WDW in January.

That's one I definitely don't understand. In 2003 we went for 7 nights/8 days and realized we hadn't done everything. In 2004 we went for 11 nights/12 days (we added Universal) we realized we still hadn't done everything. This July we're going for 17 nights/18 days (doing Universal and Sea World also) and as I made my PS's and plan I realize we're still not going to be able to do everything. Oh well I guess we'll have to go back! THat's what APs are made for. How could she possibly think there wasn't enough to do. Also when people go during a busy time (like I am - 4th of July) how do they complain it's crowded - don't they do any research at all? They remind me of the people who don't make any PSs and then are surprised when they can't just walk into CRT.

I have to agree that she must not have planned. I still cannot believe that she may have not thought it would be crowded especially during Spring Break :confused3 . And the comment that there is not enough for kids to do. :confused3 my 6 year DS was looking at the map from last year and stating what he wanted to do and sd, "mom there is too much to do and not enough time, let's go for 15 days,"..

It's just amazes me how people are. I know our trip at the end of June, I am expected the worse crowds. I would rather be prepared than not. I am already starting to get my game plan. :flower:

That's a shame... We have 3 little ones who are 5, 3 and 1, there are endless things for them to do!? :confused3

Last week was expected to be alittle crowded because of Spring Breaks. Unfortunately so many guests go blindly w/o a thought to the trip. Pile that w/ going at a very busy time, and you get many people who have a miserable time.

I'm a 50 y/o "college student" and one of my instructors went over spring break with her two boys, I "think" ages 8 and 10 and also complained of not getting anything done and little to do. I kind of incredulously looked at her. She mentioned rain everyday. Now I'm not sure if it was constant thunder, lightening, pouring or not, hard to tell when I asked her, but I can't imagine it did that all week, 24/7.

Well, I agree, lack of knowledge and planning. I always tell people when they look at me like I'm an idiot for "having a plan", that if you don't, you'll be, just like the other poster said, Standing at the beginning of the hub, lost in the "dust" overwhelmed and wondering what to do next.

If all Disney is to you is the rides and the shows (and you don't do repeats), I could see how you may not find enough to hold a toddlers attention all day everyday for a week. This could possible be even true for a 3 yr old.

Also if the family arrived to the parks late and added some impossible constraint - like will not wait in line more than 15 minutes, you may not see much. Not accomplishing much in your mind gets translated into - not much to see and do.

It's not necessarialy alot of "planning" you need to do, it's *understanding* how WDW "works"!

We've gone every year since Brittany was 2.5. We've always had tons to do every day. In fact, we still haven't seen/done everything. We've not yet been to BB, DTD, or Disneyquest! :flower:

Unreal. I got the same resopnce from my sister's sister-in-law. Not enough for the kids to do !? They never went again. Come to think of it I never really enjoyed talking to her and her family, way too boring!! Some people just don't get it.

I think some people feel the MAGIC and some people don't. We should feel sorry for these people that are missing the wonderful magic gene! :earsboy:

Flesner said:
I think some people feel the MAGIC and some people don't. We should feel sorry for these people that are missing the wonderful magic gene! :earsboy:

That is true. I could be amused all day long sitting on a bench watching the "magic" around me just as much as going on all the attractions, at WDW. But I have known other people who complain that it wasn't as good as they expected and that it isn't for young kids :confused3 .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter