Not enough room :(

I'm having a BIG birthday next year and planned a little celebration with me, my sister and her family. I got a DVC Membership and rented a 2 BDR in AKV for the occassion. I was SO HAPPY to get my room and have everything nailed down!

One small problem ... now my other sister and brother want to come too. So, I don't know what to do. I blew all my points already, and as a single person I don't really want to own a lot of points. (meaning - I don't want to buy another 100 pts just to get them rooms)

Has anyone else dealt with this kind of situation?
TIA
Others have suggested it's not your responsibility, let them get their own etc and I'd agree. Still, given it seems they've invited themselves and apparently expect you to pay suggests underlying issues with those involved. I agree that honesty is the best policy. Consider letting them know that you don't have the points and will be happy to give them the number for CRO. Still, this has the potential to be a recurrent issue if you don't deal with it now. Many have the idea that a timeshare is much like a vacation home and that it really costs you nothing to let the use it or tag along. We all know that's not true but many look at it that way. Anyway, just raising questions as we can't make your decisions for you. Good luck, I hope it works out.

Thanks for all the help. Of course there are issues ! (hehe. Isn't that what family is for?) Maybe if they stayed at the Coronado Springs, it would be close enough for them to drive over and go to the pool, hang out, etc ... It's not really "the room" per se, that concerns me. More like the logistics of the whole thing.

But, I feel a lot less guilty now about the whole thing :)

It really isn't too hard to have fun while staying at different resorts. I think it ends up being easier on a large group to have somewhere to go off to alone. Thanks to cell phones meeting up in parks is easy. Plan one meal a day together as a group. And plan on fireworks and shows together, but allow for some down time.

You would have to go to the non DVC resort to swim together. DVCers are allowed pool hopping, not regular resort guests. There are black out dates for dvc pool hopping as well.

I would just let them make their own reservations. When people are putting up their own money they are much more likely not to cancel.

You can go pool hop to where ever they stay but they would not be able to use the facililities at AKV. There is even restrictions of when DVC members can.

Denise in MI

You can go pool hop to where ever they stay but they would not be able to use the facililities at AKV. There is even restrictions of when DVC members can.

Denise in MI

AKV is one of the pools where pool hopping is always prohibited for DVC members. (Beach Club is the other resort).

I'm having a BIG birthday next year and planned a little celebration with me, my sister and her family. I got a DVC Membership and rented a 2 BDR in AKV for the occassion. I was SO HAPPY to get my room and have everything nailed down!

One small problem ... now my other sister and brother want to come too. So, I don't know what to do. I blew all my points already, and as a single person I don't really want to own a lot of points. (meaning - I don't want to buy another 100 pts just to get them rooms)

Has anyone else dealt with this kind of situation?
TIA

While all the suggestions you got were good, I must have missed something.
I don't see where your other sister and brother asked for you to pay for them. They just wanted to come along. Just tell them how much the rooms could cost and tickets and see what happens.
Now you know them better then us so maybe they did expect you to pay but I didn't read that in your post.

could they rent enough points to upgrade your unit to get a 3bedroom villa? That could be a great option also. Granted depending on availability.

Thanks for all the help. Of course there are issues ! (hehe. Isn't that what family is for?) Maybe if they stayed at the Coronado Springs, it would be close enough for them to drive over and go to the pool, hang out, etc ... It's not really "the room" per se, that concerns me. More like the logistics of the whole thing.

But, I feel a lot less guilty now about the whole thing :)

The problem is that there is no "pool hopping" to AKL from the other resorts. I think your best bet is to point your sister to the rent trade board and have her arrange her own highly discounted reservation maybe in a value studio at AKV so she can be in the same area. She will be paying like a value, but will be staying in a deluxe. Then remind her (provided the trip goes well), that you MIGHT be able to invite her in your accommodations in the future when your supply of points is replenished.

I really feel your pain. Our first year, we used 100% of that year's points and borrowed 100% of the next year's points so we could take family to WDW. We are still catching up!

I think dianeschlicht has a good plan of action. Renting points for your other sister is ideal if she can get it to work out. If not, some other options:

You will get 25% off a cash reservation (based on availabity) for cash room nights, so maybe that would work for them to be at the same place on a cash reservation for much cheaper than rack. I would just explain the situation to your other siblings and see what they want to do.

If they decide to stay elsewhere on propety, at any resort other than the Beach Club, you can pool hop over there. They can't pool hop to the AKV pool, but you can go to them so to speak.

It seems hectic, but really and truly, if you have separate resorts, its not that big of a deal. Maybe they can stay at AK in just a regular room with a good discount?

And I have learned, I don't use my points for anyone but my little family now. It gets too expensive, and then often somebody else in the family gets upset or I just feel bad about being able to invite everyone.

I would suggest you have your other family look into CSR. Its close to AK, its got a great pool you can hop to and its a wonderful resort with a lot to offer.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter