Not a good day here in our house...

I live in Rochester and the jobless rate is higher here than other upstate cities. I don't get it.
I'd have him apply at U of R, RIT, Harris, Paytec, Paychex and Kodak believe it or not. (unless he just got laid off from one of those places-if so never mind. :( Also, don't rule out temp agencies and doing something other than IT work. That's how my son got into Harris a few years ago.
I'd also apply now for everything. Food stamps, health care, whatever you'll be eligible for while he's on unemployment.

That is terrible! I live in Rochester too, I saw on the Coopervision website that they'e hiring IT analysts. My sister works there and raves about their family plan health insurance (low cost and great coverage) and the vision plan is outstanding since it's a contact lens company. Tell your DH to try the career opportunities area of coopervision.com and to submit his resume. I hope he finds something!

My family went through something similar last year. What helped us was Linkedin.com. It allowed us to map out connections- who knew who- and who could put in a good word for DH at the company. FOr instance before we submitted a resume we would check to see if we had any connection to that company and then contact that person to see if they would be willing to submit it. It helped my DH because someone in the company said he would be a good fit. THe site is essentially networking in digital form, sort of 6 degress of seperation meets facebook. .

I know that I was so scared when this happened to my family and it took a few days to really sink in. Hugs for you and your DH.

I will send prayers your way! As others have said, check into WIC right away. Also look into state provided insurance for the kids. I was able to get that for my oldest son when his father was laid off several years ago. At least they will have some coverage!

Remember that line from the Sound of Music "When God closes a door, He opens a window..." Well, there is a great opportunity just waiting for your family around the corner!!!

Best of luck to you and your family!

Don't forget local food banks, every dime you don't spend on food you can use to pay other bills!

Also, I think there is a website called Hillbilly Housewife (or something like that) that has a $50 per week emergency food budget. It's bare bones but nutrtionaly sound.

If you need clothes (or just winter jackets), thrift stores have great deals.

Apply for any kind of government aid you qualify for. This is exactly what it's there for and you can always cancel it if you or your DH find jobs right away. The sooner you apply the sooner the aid starts coming in.

Look and see if your local community college, community center etc. have any job fairs or job hunting classes.

If it looks like it might be a while before your DH can land a job, make sure he keeps on top of any IT certification he needs. It may cost you money out of pocket, but you don't want his skills to get stale, and in IT that can happen really fast.

One quick suggestion, could you start baby sitting in your home to bring in some extra cash? This allows you to earn money and still be at home with your infant. Check your town/county and find out how many kids you can sit before you're considered an in-home day care and have to register with the state, and just stay below that number (unless of course you decide you want to really run an in-home daycare). There is always a need for good quality child care, I'm sure you could find a few children to sit for right away.

My fiancé works for Harris. They laid off people last year, but this year they're doing pretty well and he's pretty sure they're hiring.

Good luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter