• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NOT a disaster at OKW

DVCTiff

DIS Veteran
I have to say that I was super prepared for this trip, so when the CM told us our room number, I knew immediately that the Unofficial Guide named our building as one to avoid (42). The disappointment was creeping up on me and once we saw the room I thought "OH NO, the dreaded handicapped room!" YIKES! We were two for two as far as rooms to avoid! Was our vacation doomed from the start?

No.

It was just fine.

We were never there, never needed a bath, never wanted to eat out on the patio anyway... none of these supposed drawbacks mattered. We had a car so we didn't have to walk to the bus stop. We were close to a pool and everything in the room was just fine. I was reminded that sometimes you have to keep your eyes on the big picture and not the small stuff.

Glad you were able to make the most of your trip:wave2:

That's great! Glad you had a nice trip.

(Although I'm a little scared about the never needing a bath comment. :D teehee)

Thanks for your humorous trip report! Glad you had a good vacation.
One question though, what do you mean by: "never wanted to eat out on the patio"? Do the handicapped villas not have a balcony or do they not have the table on the balcony? I have never been in a handicapped room at OKW, so I am a little confused.

your cup is more than 1/2 full...good attitude:smooth:

Glad to see another NY'er handeling the bumps in the road well!!

Originally posted by BWVDee
Thanks for your humorous trip report! Glad you had a good vacation.
One question though, what do you mean by: "never wanted to eat out on the patio"? Do the handicapped villas not have a balcony or do they not have the table on the balcony? I have never been in a handicapped room at OKW, so I am a little confused.

Building 42 is close to the road, making it possibly undesirable to sit out due to road noise, which is why I think the guide mentioned it.

GREAT post. I wish you would post this on the Resort Board. That used to be the primary board I visited, but not anymore because I find it very negative. People very often post long trip reports with every tiny little gripe about a resort (much of which wasn't even the resorts' fault to begin with) and then conclude - X resort is awful, I will never go there again! Its nice to see people who don't expect everything to be perfect and who just are determined to enjoy themselves.

Great attitude. We seldom get "ideal" rooms and it's something you need to accept right up front. If you get a terrific room that's the icing on the cake but mostly it's just cake. You could have painted a very negative picture and a very negative post but you took a very different approach. It's refreshing!

Originally posted by DebbieB
Building 42 is close to the road, making it possibly undesirable to sit out due to road noise, which is why I think the guide mentioned it.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I thought maybe the handicapped villas do not have a balcony or a table on the balcony because of the different room design.
Now I understand, and do agree that a few of the OKW buildings are essentially almost on the busy roadway and this would make for much more traffic noise, etc.

Building 42 is the one I own part of, according to my deed. I'm glad you liked it. I'll see if I can get a noise barrier installed for future visits:p I have never stayed at a part of the resort that backs up to a main road. I've alway been around the hospitality house or turtle pond bus stop. Building 11 and 35 I've enjoyed the most. Building 62 the least, but that just might be an extension of the whole trip itself and I've never had a bad time at OKW. I'm glad to hear than even the "bad" buildings at OKW are fine. What matters to me on vacation is usually the people I'm with and the memories that will be shared, not the location of the room. I'll be back in December. Maybe I'll try buiding 42 then:bounce:

I think check-in is frequently what we as members & guests make it. You seemed to have made the best of your check-in. Good for you!

We checked into OKW one week ago today. We arrived at the resort about 12:30 p.m. We were told our room was not ready. I was not about to ask for what might be available because I specifically asked for a first floor room or a room in an elevator building for medical reasons. I figured the room controllers went out of their way to get me a room that met my requests, so I wasn't going to rock the boat.

This was the first time since Easter 1996 that we had to wait until almost 4 p.m. to get into our room - pretty good odds for me! No problem since we were told the carpet was being shampooed! I had no problem waiting when I knew I was getting really clean carpet!

We once stayed in a handicapped room next to the road, building 24 I think. And I slipped on the wet bathroom floor one morning and broke a toe. Not a big toe, one of the unimportant ones. :) And we still had a really good time.

Granted, it was our first DVC trip and we probably didn't know any better. But mostly, I think, it's that the worst room at OKW is still a really good room. And any day on vacation is better than a day at work. (I just returned from a non-Disney vacation, so I'm blue right now)

Though I haven't stayed in 42, I have stayed in 43 and LOVED it. I would request this building again in a heartbeat. I guess I thought all the porch/balcony views from 42 were similar to the ones in 43--which is a small lake/pond view ? But I guess those that wrap around the sides would have a view of the road ? I could see how 42 would be a little more of a hike to the bus stop, though we felt 43 was no big deal---no more or less than a walk to the transportation than any other resort we've stayed at.
Glad you were able to stay positive and had a good trip !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter