• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not a believer any more 10/4-10/8

simple simon

Earning My Ears
The Cast:

Wife H (32)
Husband R (34)
daughter V (5)
daughter D (6 months)

I'll preface this by saying a few words. My husband works out of town a lot and doesn't like to travel much unless he has to so we never get to go anywhere. We didn't even have a real honeymoon so this was a big deal for our 5 year old daughter V. This was supposed to be the trip she remembers forever.

We had a set budget and decided on staying at the Pop to get the most bang for our buck. This being our first trip we thought we wouldn't be at the room at all so we figured the cheapest room would be ok.

We leave our airport and get to Orlando. It was pretty uneventful. We get ourselves on the Magical Express which was super easy and nice. All of the cast members are so friendly and helpful. We arrive at the Pop, check in, shop, get our mugs, and go to our room. So far so good.

We take the bus to Downtown Disney. My daughter has a reservation at the BBB. We took her shopping at the Disney Store beforehand and let her pick out everything she wanted. She got a Minnie dress ($65) that the sleeve fell off after one day and a pair of clip on Minnie ear barrettes. The BBB was great. Her fairy Godmother Meaghan was the highlight of her life. V doesn't get to do much so she enjoyed every second of this experience. Everything was going great. We were about 3 hours into our trip and it was perfect.

We had dinner reservations afterwards at Portobella. Our server was horrible. We got our food before our drinks. We all had water and my husband had a glass of wine. The food was not the best Italian. I had the ravioli gigante which was gummy. My husband had a black shrimp pasta which smelled awfully bad. He ate maybe two bites. Our server never came back until it was bill time. We paid and hightailed out of there back to the Pop.

We get back to the Pop and get ready for bed. The rooms are so loud. You can hear footsteps any time people walk by. You can hear every door slam. The designated smokers area is right by the side entrance from the rooms so you have to walk through clouds just to go in. I was amazed at the people who smoke with their kids around. I've never seen that where I am from.

We get to sleep and are ready to take on Epcot the next day. Unfortunately I think the husband and I ate something bad at Portobella. We both feel uneasy but decide since we're not vomiting we would be ok. We get to Epcot and I start vomiting. We catch the bus back and are in bed all day. I am nursing my 6 month old and praying it is just something I ate and not a bug.

TMI time. I vomit at least 20 times that day. I am so dehydrated I'm not producing milk for my baby. Luckily the Pop store has Pedialyte and a bottle. My baby had never had a bottle before nor anything besides milk but she managed to drink it and did fine. I am not sure the rules of giving babies anything except formula but we had to deal with what we were given. I feel like I am needing to go to the ER by then. We call for a doctor and the front desk suggests I take a cab to the ER. Husband is just as sick as I am but be is handling it better. The only thing I can think of is me getting the baby sick.

I finally pass out while waiting for a cab. Not sure if thy came or not. I go to sleep and wake up feeling better. I drink about 2 liters of water and decide since my 5 year old and the baby are not sick then it's not a bug and was just something we ate. We go to MK from about 10-2 and head back to our room to let the baby nap. We decide to go to the Biergarten for dinner. As you may know it is family style so you are seated with people you don't know. Those poor, poor people.

Dinner is going well. It's the first thing the husband and I have eaten in a few days. It's a buffet with lots of yummy choices. We got seated right by the band which was great. My 5 year old says her tummy hurts so I told husband we should leave just in case. The band plays one song and V vomits on my leg. The music is so loud. I swear she was vomiting in sync with the songs. We use every napkin available and there is still more vomit coming up. A manager comes over with a lot of towels. V finally stops throwing up long enough to get to the restroom. The other couple and their kids were so sweet. I just kept apologizing. I feel terrible. I hope it didn't ruin their dinner. I wish we had their names so we could send them something. The wife grabbed the baby in the middle of everything. I feel so bad about the whole ordeal.

We make it back (daughter and I both vomit covered) to the First Aid station. It starts pouring rain. We are covered in chunks so it doesn't even matter at that point. The nurse gives us two vomit bags. We get back on the bus and back to the Pop.

We take showers and throw our clothes and shoes in the wash. Thank goodness for onsite machines. V finally falls asleep but not before a few more rounds of being sick. I clean up as best as I can. I don't even know if I should call housekeeping. Can they disinfect? I am in bed right now after another sleepless night. I just want to cry and go home. We have one more day left and I don't know what to do. I just want it all to be over. This wasn't how it was supposed to be.

We researched this trip forever. We made reservations. We planned everything exactly how we wanted it. All my daughter kept saying last night while she was as pale as snow was "I just want to see the fireworks" and sadly I don't think she will be able to.

So that's my not so magical trip report. I have read tons of stories here in prep for my own trip in hopes that I would be able to come share my own fabulous story. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I am so sorry to hear your not feeling well. We have stayed in POP and just love it there...so much to see..I like getting up before everyone and walking the resort. We have never had a problem with our rooms being loud. We have always stayed in the 60's building, but off to the sides facing Classic Hall. Maybe you could talk to a cast member and maybe you would be able to change your room? I hope your daughter feels well enough to see the fireworks...I know the first time we went, I got sick overnight. I wanted to die...my girls went out the next day without me (my Dad took them) but it is such a horrible place to be sick. Did you go to the medical building that is in Magic Kingdom? I think it is around Crystal Palace, but I don't remember. My dad and brothers girlfriend had to go there and it was around that area. Sending you some pixie dust pixiedust: that everyone is better and you are able to enjoy some of your vacation!

Yikes! Being sick at WDW is no fun! I hope that everyone feels better really soon, and your last day is wonderful.

How awul to be sick. :( Did you have insurance that will cover any of this? I can't imagine how upsetting this must be.

So sorry it hasn't been a magical trip. We stayed at Pop last year and had no noise issues. Traveling with kids can be rough..sickness doesn't help.. there is a bug going around.. so sorry you caught it!

We just got back this morning (UK time) and we couldnt help but notice over the two week vacation the sheer number of people who were complaining of feeling off colour or ill....luckily we were okay as always very careful about washing hands and stuff to try minimise risk of picking stuff up (know there is only so much one can do). It seemed odd as the weather didnt seem anything out of the ordinary and it wasnt just "foreign" people, plenty of Americans not feeling well either. Bad time, hope OP manages to find someway to make it better :cheer2:

If you are still at Disney world- take the Minnie dress down to all things pop and see if you can exchange it. Disney is GREAT about defective merchandise. We were just there last week and had to return a toy train that broke within one days use.

If they don't carry the dress there, see what they can do for you, maybe they can get one in from another location. Explain your situation, and I bet that they will at least make that one thing right.

Hope everyone is feeling better!!! Hope your family was able to enjoy the rest of your trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter