Norwegian dropping vaccine requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFII

Earning My Ears
I can only hope Disney follows soon. Would love to get back on the ships!

Here are the Norwegian changes:

Key fleetwide protocols changes, subject to local regulations, effective September 3, 2022 include:​

• Vaccinated guests aged 12 and older will no longer have any pre-cruise COVID-19 related protocols
  • Unvaccinated guests, aged 12 and older, or those who cannot or decline to provide proof of vaccination, will need to present a negative medically administered PCR or Antigen COVID-19 test taken no more than 72 hours prior to boarding
  • Guests aged 11 and under will not be subject to vaccination requirements or testing protocols of any kind
  • Vaccinated guests must meet the generally-accepted definition of “fully vaccinated” based on the destination they are embarking and/or traveling to and must provide proof of vaccination

my husband is vaxxed, with one booster and currently has Covid. I'm just glad he got it now and not next month when we're sailing on the Wish. It seems inevitable that we will all come down with it at some point. He wasn't out partying either, must have picked it up at the golf course.

Testing unvaccinated adults but not kids makes no sense to me from an epidemiological perspective.

All I can figure is this is not to protect passengers so much as to protect the cruise line. COVID is typically a lot easier on children (though not always) so I'm wondering if they're banking on severe illness in kids being very rare and not taxing ship medical resources. Since you can walk out the door and catch COVID right after you test, but the incubation period of COVID seems to be at least 2-3 days (the 72 hour testing period), this all feels to me to be more of a way of trying to reduce the risk of adults having severe COVID at sea.

Ok an antigen test taken within 72.- :laughing: gives one plenty of time to try best out of 2 or 3.

Did it state anywhere if they based on the lenght of cruise or for all sailings, regardless of lenght??

Last edited:
I can only hope Disney follows soon. Would love to get back on the ships!

Here are the Norwegian changes:

Key fleetwide protocols changes, subject to local regulations, effective September 3, 2022 include:​

• Vaccinated guests aged 12 and older will no longer have any pre-cruise COVID-19 related protocols
  • Unvaccinated guests, aged 12 and older, or those who cannot or decline to provide proof of vaccination, will need to present a negative medically administered PCR or Antigen COVID-19 test taken no more than 72 hours prior to boarding
  • Guests aged 11 and under will not be subject to vaccination requirements or testing protocols of any kind
  • Vaccinated guests must meet the generally-accepted definition of “fully vaccinated” based on the destination they are embarking and/or traveling to and must provide proof of vaccination
IMO. It's about protecting the cruise line. period

We just sailed Norwegian a month ago and 45% of the FB group tested positive within 3 days of the 7 day cruise ending. So testing and vaccine requirements certainly aren’t slowing spread. I am surprised that they stopping the vaccine requirement though—not because vaccines stop spread but you are less likely to have severe complications and therefore are less likely to be a medical issue for NCL while on a cruise

That is likely because they need higher passenger numbers to get a better profit margin.
Absolutely. The cruise lines have cut off a large segment of the population from being able to cruise these last two years. I’m not saying that there was not a rational basis to do that (esp. In the beginning of the pandemic). But the cruise lines are going to have to let unvaccinated people cruise if they are going to get back to “normal”. Personally, I think it makes more sense to drop the vaccine requirements and reinstate pcr testing at the terminal (from a epidemiological point of view). But that will hurt them too much profit wise so this is the next best thing for them to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter