• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Norway Viking restaurant vs Princess Character Meal

!@#$%

Make the best of everything and stop your whining!
I have always reguarded the Norway 18th century viking restaurant "Akershus" as my favorite of all restaurants at WDW. I was completely disgusted when it became a Princess character meal location. I must admit, I still dont see the connection between smelly old stealing killing vikings and trolls and Disney princesses! :rotfl: On my last trip I just couldnt bring myself to go there to eat. I mean first they took out my single favorite ride out (Alien Encounter ExtraTERRORestrial) and replaced it with the flop of a stitch ride (which I thought personally stunk) now they take my favorite restaurant. :badpc:
With all partiality aside, I write this thread to hear a different point of view. Is it open in the evenings as Akershus alone? Is the food still buffet? Is it still loaded down with mouth-watering salmon, herring (the only place I'll touch herring I may add), and other swimming friends? (Is reindeer still on the menu?) Has the princess meals ruined the ambiance for those wishing to enjoy a meal and pretend to be escourted back in time to the days of the vikings?
I dont care to hear if you disagree with me, thats not the purpose of this thread, I want to know if it is worth eating there if your wanting to eat there as a fan of what it WAS? (past-tense) Were talking nostalgia here. Comprende? Has anyone out there ate there since then that has NOT had the princess thing? I mean the princess thing is fine, but I just dont think that was the right place. Maybe at the castle or GF, but not a viking castle. In any event I welcome any friendly comments! :teeth:

When it was switched to all princess all the time, there were lots of threads about it - you should do a search, you'll find lots of support for your opinions ;) Lots of unhappy people!

And no, sadly, it's not open normal anymore, just princesses.

A cryin shame it be says I. :confused3 Thanks for the info.

I think you'll enjoy Hagar's Shrimp poppers, Leif Erickson's Pizza Shooters and Viking extreme fajitas with the princesses.

Don't forget Ivan the Terrible's buffalo chicken nuggets. :)

Seiously, it used to be one of our MUST DO restaurants, and was always our choice for Candlelight Processional. It's a shame they ruined it, but I personally don't understand the fascination with Character Meals anyway, I never, even as a child was mezmerized by the costumed characters...I think they add atmosphere to the parks, but I don't want to "eat with them" for a photo op. I avoid character meals like the plague.

It actually makes perfect sense that the Princesses should hold their banquets in Norway. The Grimm fairy tales that their stories are based on were originally Germanic Myth--primarily Old Norse legend.

rantnnravin...... Thats interesting.

I wasn't aware that they stopped serving the traditional Akershus food. We went to the Princess Breakfast last year, and Norway was the perfect setting for it. However, I don't see why they would have had to do away with the "traditional" Akershus fare for the rest of the day. :confused3

The "traditional" Akershus fare certainly wasn't my cup of tea, but I hate that the choice has gone away. It was certainly different than the usual stuff you'll find elsewhere at WDW.

It used to be my favorite, too. We ate there for lunch every single trip.

I was kinda bummed when they took away the hot buffet and made you order entrees a la carte... but I still liked it.

The princesses, though... that's the final straw. I won't go there anymore, and I hate that they've taken my favorite restaurant away from me. :guilty:

Yes, we are also upset - we ate there at least once, sometimes twice each trip. Now I won't be able to have my favorite brown goat cheese and my DH can't have his swedish meatballs! :sad:

I do understand that the princesses are making more money than us plain old customers did - but couldn't we have one meal without them?

Oh well - I guess it forces us to try someplace new :rolleyes:

Lin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter