Norway Cruise (+Iceland/Copenhagen/Dover) TIPS (consolidated)

We are also staying at a Premier Inn (St. Pancras) and I thought I had posted that earlier but didn't go back and check as well as we are using www.totallydriven.co.uk to get us from the hotel in London to Heathrow and it's very reasonable. I had read recommendations and the price was very fair (I think around $60ish). They do numerous pick up and drop offs so I'd suggest checking them out.

Heather
Good hotel location and a good transfer price.

We're also staying at Premier Inn County Hall - but not for 8 weeks! We've booked a private transfer from Heathrow, as we have 2 kids (1 is a barely walking toddler) and lots of luggage. I think we're paying 135 pounds roundtrip.
Oh, we're not staying there for 8 weeks - we're only there 2 nights but we leave in 6 weeks! :tongue: The whole vacation is 2 weeks - we're doing London, Paris, Copenhagen, 7-night fjord cruise, and then 2 nights in Iceland. Who are you using for transfers? I'm thinking it might make me feel better to have that all arranged before we go instead of just looking for a cab Thanks!

We are doing the 6/20 cruise and arriving early to do Paris as well. I'd love any recommendations on transfers in Paris and Copenhagen.

I just wanted to post that heathrowshuttle.com comes in about $46 for 2 adults and 1 child for the one-way transfer from the airport to Premier Inn County Hall (on a shared shuttle). I still need to check with the hubby before I reserve it, but that seems pretty good to me!

The hotel we're staying at in Copenhagen is right by the train station that comes from the airport, so we *might* do the train. I'm still nervous about public transportation with all our stuff. Seems like we'd be really easy targets :)

I just wanted to post that heathrowshuttle.com comes in about $46 for 2 adults and 1 child for the one-way transfer from the airport to Premier Inn County Hall (on a shared shuttle). I still need to check with the hubby before I reserve it, but that seems pretty good to me!

The hotel we're staying at in Copenhagen is right by the train station that comes from the airport, so we *might* do the train. I'm still nervous about public transportation with all our stuff. Seems like we'd be really easy targets :)
London overall is safe during the day,just take care in places overnight.

London overall is safe during the day,just take care in places overnight.
I'm not as much worried about London as I am Copenhagen. I think the hotel we're staying in is right next to a strip club :crazy2: But it has great reviews on TripAdvisor, the price was right, and it includes breakfast. Oh, and it's really close to Tivoli which is what we're planning the evening we get in.

I'm not as much worried about London as I am Copenhagen. I think the hotel we're staying in is right next to a strip club :crazy2: But it has great reviews on TripAdvisor, the price was right, and it includes breakfast. Oh, and it's really close to Tivoli which is what we're planning the evening we get in.
Oh well you might do more sightseeing than you planned, ie see more than expected.

Copenhagen is a really safe city. Don't worry about the strip club, those are common in the vicinity of railway stations all over Europe. As are hotels. So you often get that combination.

I have stayed in the railway station area in Copenhagen and felt perfectly safe to walk around on my own after dark as a woman. Also, the train from the airport is really convenient. There really is no safety issue on the train! just see it as part of your experience of Europe, we take trains regularly. :goodvibes

Hmmm...$46 sounds pretty good. I'm going to check into that! Thanks for the tip!

What hotel are you using in Copenhagen?

Oh, we're not staying there for 8 weeks - we're only there 2 nights but we leave in 6 weeks! :tongue: The whole vacation is 2 weeks - we're doing London, Paris, Copenhagen, 7-night fjord cruise, and then 2 nights in Iceland. Who are you using for transfers? I'm thinking it might make me feel better to have that all arranged before we go instead of just looking for a cab Thanks!

We may do something similar. Where are you staying in Iceland? I thought my son was done with baseball, but now he want's to play in the Jr division which runs mid April to mid June so there goes my May 29 cruise and all my plans out the window. I can't really deny him baseball though you're only a kid once. Now I'm looking at June 29 Norway or July 6 Baltics and of course the cost is going up. I really want to be on that July 13 Iceland/Norway cruise. We fly standby and we'll have to go through London to get to Copenhagen, and I'm pretty sure trying to fly standby the same week as the British open is a bad idea. It's not easy anytime of year, but I try not to make it harder by picking weeks with major events going on. This will be our first time ever vacationing in the Summer. I think I can buy tickets on Iceland air with a 3 day stop in Iceland and still come out ahead price wise compared to cruising on the 12 day without paying for any airfare. I may change my mind after I look at hotel prices in Iceland.:sad2: I'm trying to keep this trip close to 10k if possible.

Hmmm...$46 sounds pretty good. I'm going to check into that! Thanks for the tip!
What hotel are you using in Copenhagen?

We're staying at the Best Western Hotel Hebron. It's the most expensive of all the hotels we're staying at on this trip (but relative cheap for Copenhagen). It was $283 for the one night but it has free breakfast.

We may do something similar. Where are you staying in Iceland? I thought my son was done with baseball, but now he want's to play in the Jr division which runs mid April to mid June so there goes my May 29 cruise and all my plans out the window. I can't really deny him baseball though you're only a kid once. Now I'm looking at June 29 Norway or July 6 Baltics and of course the cost is going up. I really want to be on that July 13 Iceland/Norway cruise. We fly standby and we'll have to go through London to get to Copenhagen, and I'm just not sure trying to fly standby the same week as the British open is very smart idea. It's not easy anytime of year, but I try not to make it any harder by picking weeks with major events going on. This will be our first time ever vacationing in the Summer. I think I can buy tickets on Iceland air with a 3 day stop in Iceland and still come out ahead price wise compared to cruising on the 12 day without paying for any airfare. I may change my mind after I look at hotel prices in Iceland.:sad2: I'm trying to keep this trip close to 10k if possible.
Yeah, our kiddo is going to get to go to the first baseball practice of the season and then miss the first 2 games because of this trip. But he's only playing in a rec league so we're not too worried about it.

We're staying at the 4th Floor Hotel in Reykjavik. The rooms are kind of funky looking but it is in a decent location and has some pretty good reviews. They also have free breakfast.

We're staying at the Best Western Hotel Hebron. It's the most expensive of all the hotels we're staying at on this trip (but relative cheap for Copenhagen). It was $283 for the one night but it has free breakfast.

Yeah, our kiddo is going to get to go to the first baseball practice of the season and then miss the first 2 games because of this trip. But he's only playing in a rec league so we're not too worried about it.

We're staying at the 4th Floor Hotel in Reykjavik. The rooms are kind of funky looking but it is in a decent location and has some pretty good reviews. They also have free breakfast.

Well my last post can be disregarded. I did some research on Jr division and it's a lot of interleague play. My husbands and my jobs just do not allow for 30 minute to 1 hour travel time to games in the evenings. We can barely make the games in time that are 10 minutes away. Being a typically kid he was disappointed for about 5 seconds, and then started getting excited about Iceland again. He's just an average baseball player so it's not like I'm killing any career aspirations or anything. I'm going to start him in golf this Summer. I'm hoping he likes it. It's more flexible than the structured team sports.

Yeah I noticed most of the hotels in Iceland offer free breakfast. A lot of the hotel's names have my maiden name in it. I always thought my maiden name was English, but now I'm wondering if I'm Icelandic. Maybe that's why my son want's to go so badly. It's in his blood. I guess I can return to my original plans May 29.

Are you taking the train to Paris?

Last edited:
.Are you taking the train to Paris?

Yep. We ended up with tickets to London because I couldn't get frequent flyer flights to any place else. From there I remembered the chunnel and thought it would be fun to see Paris. So our trip just kept backing up from the cruise time. The kiddo is going to miss the last 2 days of 2nd grade, but oh well. I don't know why they end school on a Tuesday anyway.

Just for reference, I figure our trip is about $16K when all is said and done. That includes pet boarding and parking and all excursions. Everything adds up pretty quickly. We kind of figure it's a once in a lifetime trip.

Yep. We ended up with tickets to London because I couldn't get frequent flyer flights to any place else. From there I remembered the chunnel and thought it would be fun to see Paris. So our trip just kept backing up from the cruise time. The kiddo is going to miss the last 2 days of 2nd grade, but oh well. I don't know why they end school on a Tuesday anyway.

Just for reference, I figure our trip is about $16K when all is said and done. That includes pet boarding and parking and all excursions. Everything adds up pretty quickly. We kind of figure it's a once in a lifetime trip.

Due to fact that the cruise is in May it is pretty reasonable(for a DCL cruise) around 4k. I have never had an issue with DCL's offseason prices. It's the "on" season I can't stomach. It's too early to get prices on anything else, but I have been pricing out this May to get a guestamate. I'm planning on 3 nights in Iceland, 3 in London, and probably a night on the East coast before heading back out West. I would love to see Scotland, but I may have to save that for another trip.

Last edited:
Due to fact that the cruise is in May it is pretty reasonable(for a DCL cruise) around 4k. I have never had an issue with DCL's offseason prices. It's the "on" season I can't stomach. It's too early to get prices on anything else, but I have been pricing out this May to get a guestamate. I'm planning on 3 nights in Iceland, 3 in London, and probably a night on the East coast before heading back out West. I would love to see Scotland, but I may have to save that for another trip.
Now that we've discovered cruising we've found there is just too much to see! Best of luck in your planning!

We have decided to do an Iceland only trip in September next year instead of trying to cram it into one 2 week trip. There is way too much we want to see in Iceland to cover it in a couple of days. Now I'm looking at having 4-5 days in London before the Norway cruise. How difficult it is too get to Scotland? Is it a day trip or should I plan on spending the night there?

We have decided to do an Iceland only trip in September next year instead of trying to cram it into one 2 week trip. There is way too much we want to see in Iceland to cover it in a couple of days. Now I'm looking at having 4-5 days in London before the Norway cruise. How difficult it is too get to Scotland? Is it a day trip or should I plan on spending the night there?
You need to spend time there it's a long train or plane journey to Scotland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter