"Norwalk" found me!!

bill'sdj

Mouseketeer
Returned from the February 18th, 3-night, Wonder cruise with a "friend". Came down ill early Saturday morning the 20th, and just feeling mostly back to normal today. Very nice physician on board diagnosed the Norovirus and isolated me to my cabin until disembarkation. Guest services was very sincerely apologetic and called throughout the day Saturday to check on me and offer anything I might need.

Had an overnight stay on Sunday at AKV and left for home Monday. Other than the illness, the cruise would have been magical. We had TA request a former CM, Ralph Miller, as our server, and very happily were greeted by Ralph's smiling first the first night at Animator's. You have to love Disney for going the extra mile, even under the worst circumstances. The doctor did say that if more people would report their illness, there would be far less spreading of the germs.

Hope the bug stays away from all of you future cruisers!! :scared1:

Soooooo Sorrry to hear you were bitten by that evil bug....were you insured? I must say as I approach my first cruise outside of a warship, I am considering insurance just for that reason

Soooooo Sorrry to hear you were bitten by that evil bug....were you insured? I must say as I approach my first cruise outside of a warship, I am considering insurance just for that reason

Just out of curiosity...what would trip insurance do for you? I have it, but would not have thought that it covered illness. That would be a great thing!

Just out of curiosity...what would trip insurance do for you? I have it, but would not have thought that it covered illness. That would be a great thing!

although I have never had it, from reading these boards it is my understanding that if you are "quarantined" to your cabin do to illness you are entitled to partial reimbursement for time lost on your vacation.

Oh no - that stinks.

Glad you are on the mend! I had pink eye on one of our cruises and it was very painful and expensive.

although I have never had it, from reading these boards it is my understanding that if you are "quarantined" to your cabin do to illness you are entitled to partial reimbursement for time lost on your vacation.

Good knowledge to have! Although I would rather stay well!

I have to say, you have a great attitude about the whole experience. That was one of my fears is someone in my travel party getting sick either before or during the cruise. I bought a big bottle of vitamin C 2 weeks before we left and made everyone take it everyday:lmao:. Glad you were able to make the best of the situation.:thumbsup2

If your trip insurance covers "Trip Interruptions" then you may be able to get some money back if you file a claim. Our DS was diagnosed with noro on our cruise last April, and quarantined for 48 hours. I filed a claim on our insurance and they reimbursed us for two days of his cruise fare and two days of one adult fare, since one of us had to be in the cabin with him during those 48 hours.

If you had insurance for that trip, it is worth looking into.

Thank you, everyone for your replies and the information about the trip insurance. We did purchase trip insurance, but hadn't even thought about partial reimbursement for missed time during the trip.

I talked with a very nice young lady, Kristen, at Access America and she immediately faxed me forms to fill our for Trip Interruption, and also for medical bills, should I receive a bill from the ship's doctor. She was extremely helpful, and I think there will be some form of reimbursement involved. Thank goodness for trip insurance.

I was able to return to work today. I was originally scheduled to return last Tuesday, but because I work in healthcare, they quarantined me from work for 3 full days following the last symptoms. Some of it without pay, but I must admit I needed the extra rest to catch up.

Again, thanks for your well wishes, and most importantly of all ---wash those hands; over, and over, and over again!! Stop those pesky little varmints right in their tracks!:laughing:

Thank you, everyone for your replies and the information about the trip insurance. We did purchase trip insurance, but hadn't even thought about partial reimbursement for missed time during the trip.

I talked with a very nice young lady, Kristen, at Access America and she immediately faxed me forms to fill our for Trip Interruption, and also for medical bills, should I receive a bill from the ship's doctor. She was extremely helpful, and I think there will be some form of reimbursement involved. Thank goodness for trip insurance.

You will not receive any additional bill from the ship's doctor. If there were any charges for the doctor's service, it was charged to your onboard account on the ship. When our DS was diagnosed with noro, they did not charge us. All we needed for the insurance claim was the form they gave us on the ship which indicated that he had been quarantined.

I'm glad you're feeling better, and I agree about washing those hands!

Returned from the February 18th, 3-night, Wonder cruise with a "friend". Came down ill early Saturday morning the 20th, and just feeling mostly back to normal today. Very nice physician on board diagnosed the Norovirus and isolated me to my cabin until disembarkation. Guest services was very sincerely apologetic and called throughout the day Saturday to check on me and offer anything I might need.

Had an overnight stay on Sunday at AKV and left for home Monday. Other than the illness, the cruise would have been magical. We had TA request a former CM, Ralph Miller, as our server, and very happily were greeted by Ralph's smiling first the first night at Animator's. You have to love Disney for going the extra mile, even under the worst circumstances. The doctor did say that if more people would report their illness, there would be far less spreading of the germs.

Hope the bug stays away from all of you future cruisers!! :scared1:

I was on that same cruise and had the same "friend" visit me Saturday night. I called the health center and they did not even tell me to stay in the room. It was around 7:00 Saturday evening. They gave me some pills and told me to make sure I was washing my hands. (I'm a teacher, so washing my hands is like blinking to me). I found it strange that they did not really care I was sick. Glad you are back to normal. It did not make for a fun end of the cruise. You are the 4th person I have heard of on that cruise with this. Glad you are finally feeling better!

Am I reading this right?? The Feb 18th trip or Mar. 18? I hope you haven't been sick for over a month. I hope we don't get it in 2 weeks.

I was on that same cruise and had the same "friend" visit me Saturday night. I called the health center and they did not even tell me to stay in the room. It was around 7:00 Saturday evening. They gave me some pills and told me to make sure I was washing my hands. (I'm a teacher, so washing my hands is like blinking to me). I found it strange that they did not really care I was sick. Glad you are back to normal. It did not make for a fun end of the cruise. You are the 4th person I have heard of on that cruise with this. Glad you are finally feeling better!

What kind of pills did they give you? Hope you are feeling better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter