Northwest road trip help

We will stay in hotels. We just sanitize the daylights out of them when we arrive and use our own pilllows. We are camping during the central part of the trip, but we figured it would be too cold further north and we will only have minimal camping stuff. No indoor stuff is just us being cautious with Covid. We will obviously go indoors, but we won’t dine indoors and don’t want to spend hours at an indoor location. (We had a Covid scare recently and my anxiety is through the roof now with indoor stuff.)

OK - it just seemed a little bit interesting you mentioned avoiding indoor activities. Wasn't sure if it was a philosophical issue about what the vacation would be about.

At least passing through all these areas could be done in about 3 days with 8 hours driving per day. I still think 6 days would be extremely rushed for this sort of visit. Camping isn't that bad. I've gone camping in summer in those areas. It's really not too bad. It might hit the 40s at night at Mt Rainier, but something simple like a sleeping bag cover can make it reasonable. Camping along the Olympic Peninsula isn't too bad since the ocean keeps it from getting too cold.

If you're worried about it being cold, it's going to be colder at higher elevations like Crater Lake or Mt Rainier. You might also want to take it easy since the high elevation will mean thinner air. Acclimating gradually is a good idea. Crater Lake is at about 6000 ft. Paradise in Mt Rainier is about 5000, although it varies. If you're not used it it (especially the kids) you could be finding it hard to breathe, even with low physical activity. It's going to be really crazy around Montana.

Ok- so we took all the feedback we have been given and here is our new plan:

Day 1: Start drive from Redwoods after early morning hike To Hecata Lighthouse (4 1/2hrs.) Get out and stretch a bit and then drive near Multomah Falls (3 1/2hrs) and overnight.

Day 2: Short visit Multomah Falls.
See Mt St Helens (briefly. More to say we have been there.)
Drive to Forks (4hrs) and overnight there. Possibly camp.

Day 3: Explore Olympic National Park- Hoh Rain Forest, Rialto Beach
Drive to Port Angeles
Overnight Port Angeles

Day 4: Olympic NP- Hurricane Ridge
Overnight Port Angeles

Day 5: Drive to Mt Rainer area (4 1/2 hrs)
Spend a few hours exploring Mt Rainer
Overnight near Mt Ranier

Day 6: Spend morning and early afternoon at Mount Ranier
Drive to Couer D’Alene to overnight (6 hrs)

Day 7: Drive to Glacier NP (5 hrs)
Overnight in Whitefish

We eliminated Crater NP as most of it was still closed the first week in June. We also eliminated Seattle as apparently I am the only one who knows of or cares about the Fish Market or anything else. We added a day to Olympic (and took a day from Glacier as little will be open when we are there.)

For those in the know, besides for being rushed, how does this itinerary look?

I’m also recommending Coeur d’Alene,ID. The lake is beautiful.

You mentioned that you’re traveling in June, as others have said, be prepared for snow/cold. It is not I’m unheard of for WA and ID to get snow in June (use to live on the ID/WA border).

This link won't open directly as presented, but it seemed others have been able to open it. I was able to open it by writing it in and it was worth the trouble as some very nice information.
I think the people who need to fix the link loading problem MIGHT be working on it and it now affects any links already posted.

We have zero expectations at Mt Ranier. Just figured we should go there.

I don’t understand your other question.

I think the question about Mt Rainier was whether or not you really wanted to see it or just cross it off a bucket list.

The question seemed to be about why that was considered your starting point. But I understand that's kind of your last stop on the California coast.

As far as camping goes, there are a lot of options, and most can't be reserved. Some consider it an adventure trying to snag a first-come, first-served campsite. There's also "dispersed" camping for free.

https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/camping.htm
https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/olympic/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=47687&actid=29
https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/olympic/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=47687&actid=34

The really entertaining thing is the absolute lack of showers at many of these campgrounds. You might be able to get a shower at Sol Duc Hot Springs, but I'm not sure what the fee would be. I was camping on the Olympic Peninsula where I saw a dad give his son (in swim trunks) a "shower" near the drain where he just had him lather up and then dumped a bucket of cold water on him.

olkay...so you are leaving the redwoods...driving up the Oregon Coast to Florence , Oregon, where the lighthouse is located, then heading east out of florence to I-5 then driving till you can no longer drive and pull off at albany, salem or points south of Portland. ?

answer about Rainer is very tourist oriented...so can I suggest that you ditch the Rainer stop and consider Mt. hood.

Mt hood is not a tourist draw....you will be shocked by the volume of folks at Mt. Rainer...the difficulty of finding a parking spot and then what do you do when parked. The last time I was mt hood was july of 2006..we parked right at the lodge and eating a meal was no problem. so maybe the capacity has changed.

I was at Rainer July 2019 to pick up a climber....the only reason the trip was tolerable is that weather was horrible and even with the rain and fog we had to circle the parking lot 15 mins, next to the concrete retail building to find a parking spot, the other two lots below were all full also....the mountain was fogged in...there was no visual...but tons of folks ventured forth from the metro area of seattle anyhow. the road is not a visual travel road, can't see the forest because of the trees .

whereas Mt hood road takes you to the base of the mountain, above the timberline and you can see the panoramas as you travel down, not so much traveling up. step out of the car and you are on the mountain....not so much at Rainer

Mt hood has a connected massive parking lot designed for winter skiers so easy for the few summer visitors
Mt hood has a chair lift that you and family can pay riding fee, wearing winter coats and travel up the mountain and see a spectacular view south of the mountain of the volcano range south of Mt. Hood.
Mt. Hood has a famous lodge called timberline and is full of history of the CCC and different eating choices.
Mt. hood has very good roads to travel and when leaving you can take a different scenic route and drop down into the Columbia Gorge and work you way to Multnomah falls.

olkay...so you are leaving the redwoods...driving up the Oregon Coast to Florence , Oregon, where the lighthouse is located, then heading east out of florence to I-5 then driving till you can no longer drive and pull off at albany, salem or points south of Portland. ?

answer about Rainer is very tourist oriented...so can I suggest that you ditch the Rainer stop and consider Mt. hood.

Mt hood is not a tourist draw....you will be shocked by the volume of folks at Mt. Rainer...the difficulty of finding a parking spot and then what do you do when parked. The last time I was mt hood was july of 2006..we parked right at the lodge and eating a meal was no problem. so maybe the capacity has changed.

I was at Rainer July 2019 to pick up a climber....the only reason the trip was tolerable is that weather was horrible and even with the rain and fog we had to circle the parking lot 15 mins, next to the concrete retail building to find a parking spot, the other two lots below were all full also....the mountain was fogged in...there was no visual...but tons of folks ventured forth from the metro area of seattle anyhow. the road is not a visual travel road, can't see the forest because of the trees .

whereas Mt hood road takes you to the base of the mountain, above the timberline and you can see the panoramas as you travel down, not so much traveling up. step out of the car and you are on the mountain....not so much at Rainer

Mt hood has a connected massive parking lot designed for winter skiers so easy for the few summer visitors
Mt hood has a chair lift that you and family can pay riding fee, wearing winter coats and travel up the mountain and see a spectacular view south of the mountain of the volcano range south of Mt. Hood.
Mt. Hood has a famous lodge called timberline and is full of history of the CCC and different eating choices.
Mt. hood has very good roads to travel and when leaving you can take a different scenic route and drop down into the Columbia Gorge and work you way to Multnomah falls.

Found a photo of a parking lot at Mt Hood. Seems pretty crowded this day. Other sources claim that it's pretty darn crowded there these days during the summer months.

mt-hood-adventure.jpg

yea...to be expected....that is why I gave the dates...I was at Paradise spring break of 1977...we could park real close to the observatory and I have no memory of the massive parking lots on the grade up to the concrete visitor center on the way to Rainer. The trade off with Mt hood is a different way down off the mountain and a look, though not inspring, the columbia river, unless you have never seen a big river of full of surf boarders. And Skamina lodge, though expensive, is a nice place to stay the night.

5. Seattle (but seriously only for like 2hrs- we want to go to Pike’s Place, grab a cup of coffee, see the Space Needle from a distance, and be on our way.)

You cannot do Pike's Place in 2 hours. It will take you that long to drive thru Seattle and Park. If by get a cup of coffee you are talking Starbucks Flagship store the wait is an hour, if not longer. Seriously it will be 4-5 hours to drive, park, walk quickly through Pikes Place, get coffee. Then to really see the Space Needle you will need to get back in the car and drive by it and then drive out of Seattle.

If you really worried about Covid etc then I would stay far, far away from Pikes Place. I have not been since Covid, but it would be very hard to maintain social distance through there. In normal times it is packed wall to wall.

Here is a question- my husband and I obviously know of Mt St Helens due to the eruption. My kids not so much. It is on the list because it is a name we are familiar with more than anything else. Is it something ok to skip or something really worth going to?
If it were me I would plan a whole day at Mt. St Helens. I would do the visitor center and then I would go do the Ape Caves. They are amazing.

I agree with others you have too much planned for 6 days, you are going to just be rushing through everything. I would much rather do less things and have time to enjoy them than rush to the next stop. Also depending on when you go traffic is a nightmare. More than a few times it has taken 6-8 hours to get from Portland to Seattle if you don't time traffic correctly.

You cannot do Pike's Place in 2 hours. It will take you that long to drive thru Seattle and Park. If by get a cup of coffee you are talking Starbucks Flagship store the wait is an hour, if not longer. Seriously it will be 4-5 hours to drive, park, walk quickly through Pikes Place, get coffee. Then to really see the Space Needle you will need to get back in the car and drive by it and then drive out of Seattle.

If you really worried about Covid etc then I would stay far, far away from Pikes Place. I have not been since Covid, but it would be very hard to maintain social distance through there. In normal times it is packed wall to wall.

There are quite a few places that have coffee at Pike Place Market. I have no idea why anyone would stand in line for an hour for a Starbucks that has coffee just like thousands of other locations. It's not even the original store.

It may sound weird, but maybe Beecher's Handmade Cheese would be a good place to stop at. And there are plenty of places in Pike Place Market that have coffee.

It's certainly possible to do it in less than 2 hours. I went there and have a photo. It was a Saturday and I remember we just parked on the street and then went in and out in about an hour. Even gawked at the fish market where I got hit with their fake fish.

yea...to be expected....that is why I gave the dates...I was at Paradise spring break of 1977...we could park real close to the observatory and I have no memory of the massive parking lots on the grade up to the concrete visitor center on the way to Rainer. The trade off with Mt hood is a different way down off the mountain and a look, though not inspring, the columbia river, unless you have never seen a big river of full of surf boarders. And Skamina lodge, though expensive, is a nice place to stay the night.

I'm kind of confused as to some of the stuff you've posted.

The old Henry Jackson Visitor Center (part of the curious Mission 66 project) was torn down in 2009. I was there while the new building was still under construction but the old round building was still open. So this building is now gone.

238628739_a00cd2d94f_z.jpg

This is the new place:

jacksonvisitorcenter1-1412x570.jpg

It seems to be patterned after the Paradise Inn.

There are quite a few places that have coffee at Pike Place Market. I have no idea why anyone would stand in line for an hour for a Starbucks that has coffee just like thousands of other locations. It's not even the original store.

It may sound weird, but maybe Beecher's Handmade Cheese would be a good place to stop at. And there are plenty of places in Pike Place Market that have coffee.

It's certainly possible to do it in less than 2 hours. I went there and have a photo. It was a Saturday and I remember we just parked on the street and then went in and out in about an hour. Even gawked at the fish market where I got hit with their fake fish.

I agree there are a lot of places to get coffee. That is why I asked what he meant. A lot of time people plan to go to the flagship Starbucks thinking it will quick like any other Starbucks and they are shocked that there is a line out the wazoo. If it were me I would go up to B&O Espresso and get an espresso shake.

If you just want to get a photo for a Facebook post and you don't include drive time through Seattle then yes, we can say it can be done in 2 hours. I said you couldn't drive through Seattle and do Pike's Place in 2 hours. By do I mean walk through and experience any shops or venders. You were extremely lucky to just find street parking. I don't even try to find street parking, I have 2 garages I park in depending on the weather. I don't even try to find street parking.

I’ve been to Olympic and Glacier. I’m going to suggest you adjust your itinerary to spend more time at fewer places. It sounds like a lot of time in the car, and limited time actually in the parks. Best Wishes!

I have been to all these areas - often multiple times. You will be spending most of the time in your car. Everything feels much farther apart than you probably realize. Decide if that's what you want. I'd personally recommend either sticking with the pacific Coast. Or head from the Redwoods directly to Montana.

This.... The driving distances in the Northwest are enormous and at 6 days you would be spending most of your waking hours driving in a car which is never fun. You have 10 to 12 days worth of sites on your itinerary.
YES

Also, the roads in a lot of these places are slow, narrow, winding and include varying elevations. It can get tedious and for us, we always have one person who gets carsick on these sorts of trips. Agree with the previous poster who said to watch your gas gauge - there are lots of isolated areas where gas stations are few and far between.

There are six weeks of major things to see just in Washington state, and that's without much down time in between stops.

I like the previous idea of picking two priorities and building an itinerary around those.

Last edited:
Ok- so we took all the feedback we have been given and here is our new plan:

Day 1: Start drive from Redwoods after early morning hike To Hecata Lighthouse (4 1/2hrs.) Get out and stretch a bit and then drive near Multomah Falls (3 1/2hrs) and overnight.

Day 2: Short visit Multomah Falls.
See Mt St Helens (briefly. More to say we have been there.)
Drive to Forks (4hrs) and overnight there. Possibly camp.

Day 3: Explore Olympic National Park- Hoh Rain Forest, Rialto Beach
Drive to Port Angeles
Overnight Port Angeles

Day 4: Olympic NP- Hurricane Ridge
Overnight Port Angeles

Day 5: Drive to Mt Rainer area (4 1/2 hrs)
Spend a few hours exploring Mt Rainer
Overnight near Mt Ranier

Day 6: Spend morning and early afternoon at Mount Ranier
Drive to Couer D’Alene to overnight (6 hrs)

Day 7: Drive to Glacier NP (5 hrs)
Overnight in Whitefish

We eliminated Crater NP as most of it was still closed the first week in June. We also eliminated Seattle as apparently I am the only one who knows of or cares about the Fish Market or anything else. We added a day to Olympic (and took a day from Glacier as little will be open when we are there.)

For those in the know, besides for being rushed, how does this itinerary look?

This is much better if your goal is to see a lot of beautiful scenery and you don't mind driving which you don't. Glad to see you are giving the Olympic Pennisula 2 full days. If you aren't on a tight budget and there is availability I'd stay somewhere outside of Port Angeles - like Lake Quinault Lodge or Lake Crescent Lodge. Much more beautiful, immersive and relaxing. Port Angeles isn't that great. And neither is Forks unless you are camping and/or a huge twilight fan. ;)

Bring sturdy shoes and lots of non cotton layers and a waterproof shell for all the outdoor hiking and exploring. And plenty of extra socks.

Lots of great advice and ideas here!

We have done quite a few western trips. In summer 2018 we did the following.
-Flew into Seattle from the east coast. We arrived mid afternoon and after getting our rental car, we went straight to the Space Needle for a ride to the top.
-Beacuse of the 3 hour time change from the east coast, it is very easy for us to be up early. This is great because we can usually escape a lot of the traffic that people talk about. We were on the road by 5:00 am (8:00am for us, coming from the east coast, so not particularly early.) We drove to the Hurricane Ridge section of Olympic NP. We didn't use the ferry and it took us about 3 hours. We were driving up to Hurricane Ridge a little before 8:00am. Unfortunately for us, there were fires EVERYWHERE in summer 2018 and was quite smokey up there. Because of the smoke, we only spent about 3 hours and only did some short hikes. From there we went to Cresecent Lake. We stopped at quite a few pull offs and hiked to a waterfall. From there we went to First Beach. It was windy and chilly and we only stayed about an hour. We then hiked into Second Beach. Again, quite chilly. We then drove to where we stayed for 2 nights. Kalaloch Beach operated by the NP service. A dinner in the lodge and spent over an hour walking the beach.
-Again we were up early the next morning and drove to the Hoh Rain Forest. And rain it did!! It rained/poured the entire day until around 7:00 pm that night. We did two hikes in the rain, in the Hoh Rain Forest. We then went to Ruby Beach. Again it was pouring, but even with the rain, we walked the beach for about an hour. Had it not been for the rain, we had more plans, but ditched them as we were soaked to the skin, so we headed back to Kalaloch. After getting dry, we again headed out to walk the Kalaloch beach in the rain. Obviously we only scraped the surface of what Olympic has to offer, but it was enough for us.
-Up early to drive to Mount Rainier. We had no problems with traffic at all and I think we were driving into the park around 8:00 am. We had reservations at the National Park Lodge. I had wanted to stay at the Paradise Lodge, but it was undergoing extensive renovations. We spent around 4 hours at Paradise hiking, before continuing on. We pulled off at many pull offs to take in the views. Off hand, I can't remember the name of the place we stopped to hike at, but it was along a river and had a "swinging" bridge to cross. Very relaxing and no crowds. We had an early dinner at the Paradise Lodge and spent the evening exploring the historic area where the National Park Lodge is located. Again, we scraped the surface of what the park has to offer, but it was enough for us.
-We drove to Mount Saint Helens. We enjoyed this much more than I had ever imagined. My husband and I were 13 and 16 when it erupted, so old enough to remember. We stopped at a visitor center on the way up to Johnston Ridge. We watched the movie at Johnston Ridge and spent a couple of hours walking around. Unfortunately, the smoke from the fires was an issue here too. I don't remember the name of it, but we stopped at yet another visitor center, that was privately run. It was amazing and a highlight of the day!
-Between doing some traveling the night before and getting up early we arrived at Crater Lake NP by noon time. We had reservations to stay in the Crater Lake Lodge. It was our second visit here. We drove the loop around the entire lake and explored the area aorund the Lodge. (On our previous visit we had done two hikes, but didnt repeat those on this trip.) The next day we had reservations to take the boat to Wizard Island. Once at Wizard we hiked to the top and once back down we went swimming in the freezing cold lake!
-From there, we worked our way to California and the Big Sur.
We obviously didnt see everything and did a LOT of driving, but we loved that trip and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

-Another trip we did was Glacier. We spent 3 nights in the park, staying at 3 different lodgings in the park, The Glacier Park Lodge, Many Glacier Lodge, and the Lake McDonald Lodge. From there we drove to Crater Lake! Talk about a drive!!! But, we knew what to expect for long driving days because, we did our research early in our planning. A lot of the drive was gorgeous and we never had any traffic.
-From Crater Lake, we went to the Redwoods, staying in Crescent City.
-We spent a couple days in San Francisco.
-Spent 3 nights in Yosemite, staying at the Yosemite Park Lodge and a night in a cabin at Curry Village.
-Went to Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP, before driving down to Disneyland.

Most people we know thought we did wayyyyy too much driving on both trips, but for us, we were fine with it. You know your family best and what you will enjoy as far as spending days to a week at one park. Some love to do it that way and some not so much. Lots of great advice from posters here! I hope that you have a fantastic trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter