• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Northerners, what craziness are you seeing with all this snow everywhere?

We've gotten off "easy" this year but last year was HORRIBLE. I live in eastern PA and we currently have about 6 inches of snow/ice on the ground with more snow/sleet coming tomorrow. I feel for everyone further north. You need a break! Spring is coming, right? RIGHT? :cold:

I'm one of them. I would train inside but I'm training for a charity run - 24 hour team run, outside, through the mountains of central PA. So inside training will not help me as I need to be able to run in cold weather. I try very hard to stick to sidewalks and stay out of the way of cars, but lately that's been impossible. With snow melting and re-freezing most sidewalks have become ice skating rinks, not to mention the people that never bothered to shovel their sidewalks over the last month. So please be kind! It's not easy.

I don't care why someone is running outside, mostly in the street. At this point it is dangerous and creating a hazard.
We got over 4 feet of snow in a week. Snowbanks are huge and stick out several feet from the curb on each side. On many streets there barely room for two cars, never mind two cars and a jogger.
We've gotten an extreme amount of snow in a short period of time. Traffic here is a nightmare just because there's limited space on the streets. Cars have to be careful making turns because they can't see and/or don't have room. It slows everything down.
There comes a point where people need to use their brains. Nobody's jogging (regardless of the cause they are jogging for) is worth risking the safety of others in their community.

sunshinehighway, yes, with that amount of snow it is a hazard. Perhaps there are somewhat-cleared areas (parks, trails?) the joggers could use? Please be careful driving on the roads. :-)

It's crazy with dogs, too. Dogs that are used to being walked and run places, they are all housebound and wreaking havoc on the inside! Mine runs hard at least a few times a week. Currently, he walks a bit, but there's really nowhere for him to run. Even our yard is insurmountable for him, lol. So now instead of a tired, happy dog, we have a little (bored) monster, who's constantly trying to find things to do but winds up doing things he shouldn't. Uggh. The insides of all our shoes are chewed up >:( and it feels strange walking, lol.

sunshinehighway, yes, with that amount of snow it is a hazard. Perhaps there are somewhat-cleared areas (parks, trails?) the joggers could use? Please be careful driving on the roads. :-)
There are very few, if any, really. Even if they were cleared before (which most weren't), we got about six or eight inches overnight, with more expected thru tomorrow. Sidewalks aren't really cleared, either, in many places. Trouble is, there is just so much snow, there is nowhere to put it all. Snowbanks are built up as high as they can go, and spilling over onto sidewalks and streets. It's just a tough time in these parts right now. And again, it's not always like this, even in average snowstorms.

We're in Rhode Island. Not quite as bad as MA, but it's not a whole lot better here, trust me! We've run out of places to put the Snow. These back-to-back Storms have gotta stop. And for the "Get over it"? Come shovel for us. Seriously!

In CT, on the MA border. We, too, have the snowbanks so high and so far into the street that you have to pull into the street before you can see anything. Four-way intersections have become a free-for-all, as you can't see if there are cars at the other corners. Our neighborhood is so poorly plowed, only one car can fit in the street at a time.

But the thing that DH and I think is the craziest...while running errands yesterday and today, the number of people wearing shorts and t-shirts :cold:

They canceled work for us last Monday and have already announced a 9:30 delayed start for tomorrow. We're expecting to get 10-16 inches by tomorrow but it will not be coming down as fast as the last storm. This one should be manageable. I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary this winter thank goodness. The end of the road that my work is on has high snow banks on both sides and its on the curve of the intersecting street. You have to pull out dangerously far to see traffic on the street and pray you can pull out safely. With the electric cost increase this winter I'm more ticked off at the frigid temperatures than the snow. Everything in my apartment is electric. How am I gunna afford the electric bill without freezing my rear off.

Most of the joggers Ive seen in my area (west suburbs of Boston) have been running to train for the Boston Marathon. They run the route, which is a MAIN ROAD and its just plain dangerous. The snowbanks are over 4 ft high, yet they think running in the middle of traffic is super important for training.
Getting another 12-15 inches over the next few days is gonna be insane. There's no where to put any of it. The traffic from it all is absolutely ridiculous too. I work 8 miles from my house, which takes me 20 mins on a regular day....last week (The day of the Patriots superbowl parade) it took me 90 mins to get to work and another 2 hours to get home. I dont understand how people who have lived here for YEARS still have no idea how to drive in the snow :headache::confused3:faint:

I'm Southern born and bred, so I'm going to invoke a most sincere "Bless your hearts!" here and I mean it in only the nicest way. I don't know how you all stand it. I live in the metro-Atlanta area and we all know how that went last winter. We think we're stressed when we get 4-5 inches of snow. I would completely lose my mind if I had 4 FEET of snow out there! Y'all be careful out there.

I am so over this snow they are now saying another storm is on the way for us in the northeast for Thursday we will be in school till july if this keeps up

I am so over this snow they are now saying another storm is on the way for us in the northeast for Thursday we will be in school till july if this keeps up

I know. The kids really think they are getting some big gift with school being canceled so much. I've started teasing them that it won't be so awesome in July.
That mostly results in dirty looks but I feel teasing them is payback for all the whining they do while shoveling. :rotfl:

I'm Southern born and bred, so I'm going to invoke a most sincere "Bless your hearts!" here and I mean it in only the nicest way. I don't know how you all stand it. I live in the metro-Atlanta area and we all know how that went last winter. We think we're stressed when we get 4-5 inches of snow. I would completely lose my mind if I had 4 FEET of snow out there! Y'all be careful out there.

When Phoenix gets some sleet which melts immediately, it makes the national news. pffft. People have trouble driving in the rain around here.

Now that is just plain mean to post this here.... :rotfl:

You're right. But when we frequently have to deal with temps over 110F in the summer, it's nice to enjoy our "winters" while we can.

School is already cancelled for us tomorrow. Whoooo-Hooooo!!! I drive school bus so that's always good news for me. I DESPISE driving bus in this weather. Probably won't have school on Tuesday either. And like everyone else has said, I have no clue where these plow drivers are going to put this snow. Then heard another storm for Thursday? :faint: It's just baffling!!

A Long Islander here. We haven't had quite as much snow as MA, but enough. Some areas were plowed better than others but we had the same problem with large snow banks piled feet high making it dangerous pulling out into a main road and turning corners. Side walks disappeared with no where for pedestrians to walk or to stand waiting for the bus. I've seen people stand on top of the snow banks waiting for the bus. My first thought was what if one of these poor people slipped, slid down the snow bank and right onto Middle Country Road...:scared1:

Starting tonight we are getting hit with ice, freezing rain and sleet mixed with up to 3" of snow. What came down last week is frozen solid. Hubby was outside today chopping up whatever ice he could :faint: (even after all the snow blowing and shoveling we did) so as not to have snow, ice, and then more snow and ice on top of that coming tonight. Our schools have had 3 snow days already and 1 late start day. Not sure what the morning will bring.

our schools are closed till wed we are supposed to get 24 inches of snow by Tuesday morning

It was 69 here today....sorry:duck:
In all seriousness is that depressing? We will have some cold, rainy days sometimes for 3-4 days in a row and it impacts my mood. I think I would lose my mind with all that snow. Talking about joggers...I run several times a week but how in the world do you run in snow like that? It baffles me! Stay warm!!!

I'm from Chicago and have dealt with the top snowstorms recorded. I'm done. That said, we have not had it as bad as the East Coast. I would have prob walked head on into a plow and called it quits if I had to deal with that...so :worship: to you all that are dealing. Our storm last week delivered about 16" in my neck of the woods and to be honest was more or less a basic winter storm, we plowed, shoveled, and went to work the next day.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter