Northern Sights and Mickey's MAGICal Delights-1st Baltic Cruise-June 12,2010-Pt 2

Hi mHeywood14!
If you go back a couple of pages you will find a link to the teen thread for our cruise. I know there are several teens cruising including my 2.
Hopefully you will meet up on the ship.

:sail: A BIG HELLO :sail:
:sail: to ALL of our DCL Cruising Friends!!!! :sail:

Your trip is almost here! Sending Pixie Dust to everyone who is busy with last minute packing. Linda... I hope the snow melts!

I can't wait to see/hear all about your travels... and any new information of the Disney Dream!!!​

Thanks!

So yesterday 3 inches of snow and snowy, crummy weather all day. Today suppose to be in the 60's and I saw the motorcycle cops out this morning on my way to work, so we are getting back to normal!

Happy travels to all of you early birds.

Not sure if it's too late. but Since the DCL Hadeland Glassworks tour is full, anyone thought of DIY with a group of us from the ship?

Happy Sailing and safe travels.

Heidi

Do you think we'll get a Toy Story 3 premier on board? Or maybe Prince of Persia?

Marianne:flower3:

We've seen two premears at sea, Finding Nemo and Pirates 3, At Worlds End.
Nemo was on the actual day but since we were in the Med they waited until a sea day, I think, might have been an early port departure day so that as many people could see it as possible.
They gave out really cool buttons too, but again, it may have just been to the cabins with kids.
So I think its very likely to see T3 at sea and maybe PoP also.

I wrote to DCL May 6 about movies on board and here's what they said:

Regarding the movies that are showing onboard, we are pleased to offer first run films in the Buena Vista Theatre for you and your family to enjoy during your cruise. Here is the list of our current offerings:
-Up (3D)
-Surrogates
-Toy Story 1 & 2 (3D)
-Old Dogs
-Princess & The Frog
-When in Rome
-Alice in Wonderland (3D)
-Last Song
-Oceans
-The Prince of Persia PremEAR 5/28
-Toy Story 3 (3D) PremEAR 6/18

Thanks so much for posting the movie list. I get so much great info from this forum...now if I could just convince one of you to pack for me......:rolleyes1

Happy travels to all of you early birds.

Not sure if it's too late. but Since the DCL Hadeland Glassworks tour is full, anyone thought of DIY with a group of us from the ship?

Happy Sailing and safe travels.

Heidi

We have also been trying to get slots in this tour to no avail. We managed to get one, but need five.

We looked at a private tour, but they wanted $300 per person, which we can't afford. So if there's a larger tour that we could join that would bring the price down to around the Disney price or cheaper, we would be interested in that. Otherwise, I think we'll just visit a couple of the museums near Oslo.

For the Hadeland Glassworks, does anyone know if you can get there by public transportation?
We are family of 4 adults.

Also, anyone heard the final word on Pirate and Villans? Are the 2 separate nights or just an after the villans show get together on Pirates' Night?

Thanks,
Heidi

The glassworks tour filled up right away with the Concierge and Gold Castaway club members. We are silver CC and even though I got on line shortly after midnight on our booking date that tour was not available. We would consider joining a larger group. Right now we are booked on Oslo Highlights and are going to tour a bit on our own in the afternoon.

For the Hadeland Glassworks, does anyone know if you can get there by public transportation?
We are family of 4 adults.
The TIMEkspressen busses run to Hageland from the Oslo bus terminal, but I don't know the schedule. You could also hire a private car to take you.

We have also been trying to get slots in this tour to no avail. We managed to get one, but need five.

We looked at a private tour, but they wanted $300 per person, which we can't afford. So if there's a larger tour that we could join that would bring the price down to around the Disney price or cheaper, we would be interested in that. Otherwise, I think we'll just visit a couple of the museums near Oslo.

4 adults possibly 3 more = 7

How many people do we need in order to drop the price? All those who would be interested PLEASE POST so we can all go. :beach:

I looked at the map, but couldn't tell how far the bus station would be from port?

Heidi

I know I found a tour company that did tours to Hadeland, but for the life of me I can no longer find them online. I thought it was the Red October group, and I was really surprised that they had tours in Norway. But when I look at thier site now, they have tours in Russia and Berlin only.

I wrote to DCL May 6 about movies on board and here's what they said:

Regarding the movies that are showing onboard, we are pleased to offer first run films in the Buena Vista Theatre for you and your family to enjoy during your cruise. Here is the list of our current offerings:
-Up (3D)
-Surrogates
-Toy Story 1 & 2 (3D)
-Old Dogs
-Princess & The Frog
-When in Rome
-Alice in Wonderland (3D)
-Last Song
-Oceans
-The Prince of Persia PremEAR 5/28
-Toy Story 3 (3D) PremEAR 6/18

Oh! Thanks:woohoo:

Thanks so much for posting the movie list. I get so much great info from this forum...now if I could just convince one of you to pack for me......:rolleyes1

Lemme know who ya find cause I'm interested in having someone pack for me too, just not my husband:lmao:

4 adults possibly 3 more = 7

How many people do we need in order to drop the price? All those who would be interested PLEASE POST so we can all go. :beach:

I looked at the map, but couldn't tell how far the bus station would be from port?

Heidi

We are wandering aimlessly around town:cool1: Maybe will wind up in a drinking establishment somewhere:rolleyes1

We are winging it in Helsinki, Oslo and Copenhagen:cool1: The only thing I told the guys I want to make sure to see is Tivoli.

I know I found a tour company that did tours to Hadeland, but for the life of me I can no longer find them online. I thought it was the Red October group, and I was really surprised that they had tours in Norway. But when I look at thier site now, they have tours in Russia and Berlin only.

I googled Hadeland, and looked that their website. I am sure there will be taxi's waiting at the dock to take anybody anywhere they want to go.

Also since it's a capital city, I am sure there is public transportation near by. I haven't checked on that for Oslo yet.

Connie

I thought this was interesting. It's from a site on Baltic Cruising.

Norway has long been known as the "Land of the Midnight Sun". The word Norway even means the "way to the North". Vikings sailed Norwegian waters over 1000 years ago, and modern cruise ships and ferries cruise those same waters today. The capital of Norway, Oslo, is included as a port of call for some cruises to the Baltic. If Oslo is on your ship's itinerary, here are some of the sightseeing opportunities you will have with a day in Oslo.

Fjords of Norway
I must first correct a geographical error that cruisers might make. Some of the passengers on our ship were very disappointed in Oslo, but only because they had not looked at a map of Norway or done their homework before sailing! If you are on a Baltic cruise that ports only in Oslo, do not expect to see the gorgeous deep fjords carved into the coastline that Norway is so famous for. Those fjords are on the western coast of Norway near Bergen. Many "fjord" cruises only sail the western coastline. If seeing these spectacular fjords is a "must" for you, be sure to check your cruise ship's itinerary to make sure it includes Bergen or other western Norwegian cities. Oslo does sit on the Oslofjord, which extends for about 70 miles from the North Sea to the city of Oslo, Norway.
Oslo is in the southeast corner of the country, and your ship will sail up the 70-mile-long Oslofjord for a few hours to reach Oslo. However, since there are no mountains in the area, the fjord is scenic, but not cragged and deep like in Western Norway. The Oslofjord reminded me of one of the large man-made freshwater lakes home in Georgia. It was relatively narrow, with lots of small islands dotted with cottages. Hills surround the fjord, but they are not cragged or very high.
Touring Oslo
Oslo is a modern city with touches of medieval history. The city is 1000 years old, but has been rebuilt several times because of numerous fires. Oslo was last destroyed by fire in 1824, but some remnants of ancient times remain. The city is full of parks, museums, churches and other beautiful places. It is also heavily forested, making it quite attractive to those of us who love the outdoors. Oslo is very spacious, and its 175 square mile area makes it one of the largest capital cities in the world. Cruise passengers with a day in Oslo can see much of the city on foot or take a city tour. One word of warning--Oslo is one of the most expensive cities in Europe, so if you decide to dine ashore, check the prices first!
When you are touring the city, here are some of the stops that should be included.

• The Holmenkollen Ski Jump towers over the city. The Lookout Tower near Holmenkollen offers beautiful views of Oslo and the surrounding countryside.
  • The Rådhuset (City Hall) is a twin-towered, red brick building that evokes strong opinions. People either love the architecture and decor or hate it. The Rådhuset has a wonderful series of murals and wood carvings from Henrik Sørenson and Edvard Munch.
  • Vigelandsparken (Vigeland Sculpture Park or Frogner Park) has over 200 sculptures by Gustav Vigeland scattered throughout the 75-acre park. One of the world's largest scultures is The Monolith, a massive granite sculpture of 121 colossal human figures that towers over 50 feet high.
  • Slottet, the Royal Palace, is surrounded by beautiful gardens. The changing of the guard takes place each day at 1:30 in the afternoon. Visitors can easily wander through the grounds since it is open to the public.
  • Akershus Castle is across the street from the cruise ship pier. It is one of the oldest buildings in Oslo, having been constructed in 1300. Akershus has been both a fortress and a royal residence through the centuries. The castle was substantially rebuilt in 1527 by Christian IV, the Danish-Norwegian builder King. Inside the Akershus is the small Resistance Museum, dedicated to Norway's World War II resistance fighters.
A short ferry or bus ride from Oslo is the Bygdøy Peninsula, home of several museums dedicated to Vikings, explorers, and Norwegian life. Page 2 of this article takes you on a tour of three of these fascinating museums.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter