Northbridge - Good or Bad?

GingerBimber

Earning My Ears
I have been reading reviews on Northbridge apartment complex for PI's and am frankly scared now that I accepted housing there. Any past experiences, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated.

I just posted this on the Spring 2007 Official PI thread . . .

I lived in Northbride in the Fall of 2005. Now it may have changed a lot but I never felt unsafe there. The gates were broke almost all the time, however I never heard of any issues of people being burglarized.

Cable wise Northbridge is set up just like vista in that the cable access is in the living room and that is it. As well as high speed internet. However you can get splitters and get that fixed.

All the apartments are non smoking so if you have a roomate that does smoke they are required to go outside to do so.

So yeah unless things have changed drastically in the past year, Northbridge is a nice place to live.

(If you have any other questions let me know).

Hey ginger, I'm glad you started this forum. I accepted Northbridge but between apartmentratings and apartmentreviews.net, I'm ready to cut and run! My father actually drove down there today (after reading the ratings, no surprise, he was just as worried). He said he could drive straight in, so obviously no security gate and no security officer driving around, etc. But the place was kept up really nice and it is pretty (he took pics of outside if you want some). Still, I don't know what it's like at night. The place is huge and has three stories apartments. I'm still on the fence about this, and I'm trying to contact Disney housing to see if I am able to get out since we didn't sign anything yet.

leilani11 said:
Hey ginger, I'm glad you started this forum. I accepted Northbridge but between apartmentratings and apartmentreviews.net, I'm ready to cut and run! My father actually drove down there today (after reading the ratings, no surprise, he was just as worried). He said he could drive straight in, so obviously no security gate and no security officer driving around, etc. But the place was kept up really nice and it is pretty (he took pics of outside if you want some). Still, I don't know what it's like at night. The place is huge and has three stories apartments. I'm still on the fence about this, and I'm trying to contact Disney housing to see if I am able to get out since we didn't sign anything yet.

Leilani, so what did your father think about it? Did he suggest for you to try and find something else? I will be housing @ Northbridge, but I was so excited just to get the PI that I totally didn't think about all that. Let me know what Disney says if you are able to get in touch with them. I was just trusting that Disney wouldn't house thier "PROFESSIONAL interns" in a "bad" place. Hmmmm? Please keep us updated, thank you!

I went to Northbridge with my family a week ago. While it was clean and kept up really nice (opposite to what the reviews said) there are other things that could pose problems. Northbridge is a huge complex. The walk to the apartment could be not only a pain but also dangerous. I'm working at a park, so I have no idea what my hours will be and since it gets dark around 7, walking from Nova to my apartment does not feel like a good idea. Also a good portion of the perimeter of the complex has only open fields on the other side, so people can easily come and go from any direction and not get caught (which the reviews say they do). There's an elem. school right on the other side of another part of the complex and there were people parked in Northbridge waiting for their kids from the school (and we have to park off site?) My friend, who's there now saw the slashed tires, but it hasn't happened to her or anyone she knows.

My dad doesn't want me to stay there. And I have to agree with Disney Mom when I say the main reason I chose not to go there was the parking situation. I carry mace with me all the time (I live in Miami after all), but I'd like to prevent the need to use it if I can. The good news is that Disney does let you out of the apartment really easily. They lead you to believe that when you say yes, it's set in stone. But when I emailed them saying I wanted out (getting ready for a fight) they were very friendly and didn't even question my backing out.

Now starts the seemingly endless search for a place in Orlando...

for those of us who will try and stick it out at Northbridge, I am willing to plan out a solution to the parking to where none of my roommates will ever have to walk alone or feel unsafe. I think it would be smart to just call each other when we arrive at home in order to be there for each other. I know everyone will have different work hours, but speaking for myself, I am willing and ready to help my roommates out.

allsmiles316 I completely agree with you. I am sooo for the team effort no matter who I get "blessed" LOL with. I wish I had the money, time, faith and family to find somwhere else but realistically- (there is like what? a little more than 5 weeks?) -I think its probably a decision few students can make. I am getting renters insurance and making sure my car is covered. I have my mace crouched in my purse and now the knowledge to be always aware. so I wish everyone luck!

I do wonder though how bad it actually is. I would think housing PI's in such disreputable surroundings would be a Disney PR nightmare!

in reference to the last two comments.... THANK YOU! Finally, some level headedness!

has anyone ever addressed this with disney? for those of us who are sticking it out in Northbridge, if it IS really that bad to a point that seems unsafe, why not meet, discuss and take it to our supervisors. Im sure Disney does not want or expect to have a bunch of interns who can't make it to work due to slashed tires. Im sure if it is a problem for everyone, and especially concerning safety, it can be addressed with Disney. I guess I'll wait and see how much of an issue it is and go from there.

My supervisors are open and really caring so I don't have a problem bringing it up to them. I will call or email them this week, and see what they have to say in response. I'll get back to you guys.

Hopefully I get to room w/others that don't mind reaching out as well. Thanks for the support!

I'm glad us Northbridgers can stick together and are aware of what COULD be the case when we move in in January. Amber, I hope we end up rooming together, not just because your an animal PI but because it seems we share the same thinking on safety and looking out for one another. A buddy system is probably the best defense and just common sense, people! When you think about it, any place can be unsafe if you are not aware of your surroundings. I am actually looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about and if it is even true.

I have a question.. Originally I said that I would be interested in housing (Staying at Northbridge. I haven't officially heard from Northbridge yet but I talked to someone in Casting and she said there is plenty of availability... However, I think I'd prefer to live w/ a friend of mine in Clarmont. Do any of you know if I can still back out of Northbridge since they haven't officially contacted me yet?? Thanks for any info!!

Kim

p.s. LOVIN the Christmas feel on here!! :santa:

KimAJ said:
I have a question.. Originally I said that I would be interested in housing (Staying at Northbridge. I haven't officially heard from Northbridge yet but I talked to someone in Casting and she said there is plenty of availability... However, I think I'd prefer to live w/ a friend of mine in Clarmont. Do any of you know if I can still back out of Northbridge since they haven't officially contacted me yet?? Thanks for any info!!

Kim

p.s. LOVIN the Christmas feel on here!! :santa:

Yeah, I backed out during Thanksgiving and they said it was fine. I don't think they can really hold you to anything until you sign something.

Hi everyone,

My dad called the general manager at Northbridge this morning. He said the man was very nice and willing to share information, whether it is true or not I don't know, but his answers to my dad's questions seemed competent and honest. Northbridge is a very large complex and they tend to place all Disney interns in one building section of the complex. This section is also the one with the most available parkng because they realize that there will be possibly five vehicles in the place of their normally expected two due to increased occupancy per apartment. My parents, like most of yours are oncerned about the parking situation and safety situation. The manager informed my dad that for $80/month a garage can be rented if one is available. Obviously one would have to wait until January to know unless one did not mind walking a possibly very long distance. Now onto the safety question - the manager said that Orlando is a big city with many transient people. Yes, there will be some crime, but they have not experienced any complaints thus far. As for the security gate being "broken." The gate is only operational between the hours of 11pm and 3am. The gate will not be in effect for hours other than this Perhaps this was misconstrued as broken.

I hope this helps. My dad has also gotten in touch with the Orlando police department to really find out about the crime in the area. When I know more, I will post.

I lived in Northbridge from Jan-June 2006. Although they tell you that you cannot park without the permit for Northbridge (and there are only 2 permits per apartment) I never had the permit in my car while I was living there. I was able to park in the complex without a problem at all. There is not really a way for them to monitor the parking situation. Unlike Vista Way and Chattam, there are other residents that are not interns that will be living in the buildings next to you. There is no way for the apartment management to tell which cars are from the interns and which are not. I lived in the very back of the complex, so it would have been very unreasonable (and in my opinion pretty unsafe) to walk. The apartments were very clean and well kept. We never had any problems with major crime. There was an occasional report of stolen items and the like, but nothing out of the ordinary living situations that you may encounter in any city.

Good luck on your internships :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 THANK YOU GingerBimber for enlightening all of us on the Northbridge complex. I really appreciate all you and your Dad have done to help us out. And THANK YOU Travelgirl07 for your helpful info as well!

*sigh of relief *

wow! Gingerbimber. your dad sounds like my dad. haha. Awesome research! I would definately be in for the add-on-garage. I guess we just have to wait and see when we get there. And where are our packages in the mail?????? rrrg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter