North Shore Suggestions?

We just got home from Hawaii yesterday. We were up on the North Shore a couple of weeks ago and while I am certainly no expert - this was our first trip there - here is my two cents:

Giovannis was very good, but Da Bald Guy's was better - especially the garlic shrimp (and it's already peeled :)). The one negative about the Da Bald Guy is they have very little seating. The trucks in that area all seemed to have dedicated seating for their own customers. However the sushi truck next door was just opening for the day and had no customers. So my husband ran over there and ordered a roll - it was good! - and then we just sat at one of their tables.

We took the advice of the Ordinary Adventures youtube channel and skipped Matsumoto's for Kaimana's. It was delicious (1000% better than Aulani's) and there was no line. There is a lovely quiet seating area out back by the river and under some beautiful trees. Heavenly! Though we did have slightly better shave ice on Maui at Ululani's. I'm not sure if they are on Oahu though, but there was something about the texture of the ice that was a bit better.

For pastries Leonard's lives up to the hype for malasadas. The main store is in Honolulu near Waikiki, but they have mobile trucks all over the island. Check out their website for locations. One word of warning. They don't reheat that well. Just buy what you can eat when you get them.

I also second the suggestion to stop at the Dole plantation - yes it's kitschy and touristy but who cares? We are tourists, after all! It's a really fun stop for fresh pineapple, pineapple juice or Dole Whip and their fun gift store. Last night when we got home I lit my pineapple scented candle inside of a coconut shell that we bought there and just smiled.

Have fun!! As I said, this was our first trip to Hawaii, and after spending nearly 3 weeks there, it most certainly will not be our last :) .

Last edited:
I liked Matsumotos, the line wasn't insane when we were there.

A Hawaiian plate lunch is just so good, we enjoyed this at pretty much every place we got one.

Another youtube channel to check out is Amanda & Felix Eats. They are local to Oahu.

Just found another Youtube video by a couple of Disney bloggers - their top recommendation for shave ice is Kula Shave Ice, which apparently is close to Turtle Bay. I had planned on Matsumoto's, but might check that one out instead.

I recommend Ordinary Adventures and Bill & Lisa’s Food Travel YouTube videos on Aulani/Oahu.

I recommend stopping at Dole as a pit stop on the way back and forth since there aren't many public bathrooms en route to North Shore.

You need to go to the Sunrise Shack near Sharks Cove. Best Acai bowls and Smoothies. Love that place.

1. Sunrise Shack​

59-712 Kamehameha Hwy Haleiwa, HI 96712 (At Sharks Cove)​

59-158 Kamehameha Hwy Haleiwa, HI 96712 (Near Sunset Beach)

Killer Tacos is super yummy too. We have been stopping there the past couple trips and really liked them.

2. Killer Tacos
66-560 KAMEHAMEHA HWY
HALEIWA, HI 96712

For shave ice, We absolutely love the Aloha General Store in Haleiwa. We liked it a lot more than Matsumoto's and their Specialty Bowls are the best ones imo, in particular the Pineapple Bowl (My Favorite) and the Lava Flow Bowl.

3. Aloha General Store
66-250 Kamehameha Hwy # G130, Haleiwa, HI 96712

Those are a few of the places off the top of my head we make sure to stop at and will not disappoint I assure you.

For pastries Leonard's lives up to the hype for malasadas. The main store is in Honolulu near Waikiki, but they have mobile trucks all over the island. Check out their website for locations. One word of warning. They don't reheat that well. Just buy what you can eat when you get them.
Or save them to eat with your coffee the next morning. :coffee:

Ate at Da Bald Guy last week, after seeing them on the Food Network and Netflix. Definitely a highlight of the trip.

Unfortunately we went at lunchtime and I didn’t want to disrupt their work flow to ask for a selfie with James (although that didn’t seem to bothers others who did, and he seemed very gracious about it).

Ate at Da Bald Guy last week, after seeing them on the Food Network and Netflix. Definitely a highlight of the trip.

Unfortunately we went at lunchtime and I didn’t want to disrupt their work flow to ask for a selfie with James (although that didn’t seem to bothers others who did, and he seemed very gracious about it).
I didn’t want to interrupt either tried to take a picture of him inside the truck but he turned and got his back…lol I thought the truck would be red but it’s blue.

IMG_2021.jpegIMG_2017.jpeg

We'll be in Oahu soon and I have an extensive foodie adventure list!

We've watched pretty much all the Oahu food videos from these two vloggers on youtube:

HawaiiTraveler - Sean Kaleponi
Felix & Amanda Eats

They feature mainly all local spots and places that are outside of the touristy areas. They have some Waikiki content too of course but they try to tell all tourists to support more local business that's outside of Waikiki. Someone here mentioned Bill & Lisa's food travel and we watch them too.

For shrimp trucks at North Shore, I heard these two are underrated and should check it out besides Giovanni - Jenny's, Big Wave Shrimp.

For shave ice - Kaimana is a popular one. I had Matsumoto before but definitely excited to check out this smaller shop.

Honestly, we'll probably check out the food scene more in Kahuku - Ry's Poke Shack and Da Bald Guy are on our list. We'll be staying at Turtle Bay so it's a much shorter drive and I feel like there will be more hidden gems there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter