North GA/Chattanooga Trip

tink20

DIS Veteran
We are going to take a long weekend trip to a state park (Cloudland) in N. GA, its about 40mins from Chattanooga.

Any tips, of things to do and see (or places to eat) It will be myself, DH and DS (13)

I thought about going to the TN Aquarium in Chattanooga, we have been to Ruby Falls, Incline Railway and Rock City. The only one I would reconsider is Rock City, I think DS would enjoy that (he was young last time we went and probably doesn't remember) I thought about going to Point Park Battlefield instead.

If you have been to any of these places or have other suggestions, that would be awesome!

If you like Big River that's at Disney the original one is down in the Chatt area and I believe the menu is much larger. It's been a while since I've been to the aquarium in that area but it was fairly good aquarium from what I remember though I admit I prefer to the one in Gatlinburg over that one.

Last edited:
The aquarium is great. If your kids are into history there are loads of battlefields around there.

One of my favorite restaurants is about 1/2 mile from Cloudland Canyon State Park. It doesn't look like much, but it truly is wonderful. (Make a reservation if you want to go.)
http://www.canyongrill.com It is BYO wine, if you want a drink with dinner. I recommend it to everyone who is heading that way. In downtown Chattanooga, just up the street from the aquarium, we like Maple Street Biscuit Company http://maplestreetbiscuits.com/ The aquarium is very nice, and the area around it is fun to walk. There is a pedestrian bridge that takes you over the river, and the Bluff View Art District is nice to visit. If you're a hiker, the walk down into the canyon at the state park to the waterfalls is nice, but a bit strenuous. Steps have been installed to make it easier to get in and out of the canyon, but there are hundreds of them, so be prepared! The view into the canyon from the rim trails is really pretty, and you may see the beginning of the fall colors. We also like to stop on the Lookout Mountain Parkway (the drive into Lookout Mountain and Chattanooga) and watch the hang gliders. They launch from the ridge there, and also get towed up from the valley by ultralight planes and then are released to glide. I'd never do it, but it's fun the watch!

We went to Chattanooga a few years ago and really enjoyed the aquarium there. We thought it was much better than the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta. Highly recommend it. We did Ruby Falls, Incline Railway and Rock City/Lookout Mountain, but probably wouldn't do them again. We also went to the civil war site that was a few blocks from the upper Incline Railway station.

Food-wise, we ate at a Sticky Fingers and at a place in downtown Chattanooga called City Diner which was next door to the Days Inn. Both were recommended by folks here on the DIS and we enjoyed them both. We also ate at Cheeburger Cheeburger, which we don't have in our area and it was right across from the aquarium, so convenient for lunch. It was a big hit with our kids.

Without looking at a map, I don't know where Cloudland, GA, is, but we've been to North Georgia several times (family members have a vacation home there). We've been to Dahlonaga and done the gold mine tour and panned for gold, which we all enjoyed. We've been to Amicalola State Park a couple of times to see the waterfall and visit the visitors' center. On our last trip, we went to Tunnel Hill, GA, where there is an old train tunnel through a mountain. A famous train robbery in the Civil War took place near there and the pursuit went through the tunnel. There's a museum and you can do a tour of a historic home that was a confederate hospital and then Union Gen Sherman set up camp there for a time, too. We found it very interesting.

We were just in the area last weekend. If you are into Civil War history, go to Chickamauga Battlefield in Ft. Oglethorpe, GA, just outside Chattanooga. We enjoyed our time there. It is a driving tour with things to do at every stop. Plan several hours to do this one. It is a National Park and it is free. We also stayed in Ft Oglethorpe and had a wonderful time. The Aquarium was wonderful too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter