Norovirus Disney Dream 9/20-9/23

Hmmm. Came here to begin research on a future cruise... now I'm scared!

Norovirus is going to spread easily whenever you have a group of people in close quarters, which is why it happens so often on cruise ships. I can't speak for Disney, but I know on previous ships I have been on whenever there was a norovirus outbreak the ship would be cleaned extensively to protect the incoming guests.

As I had said before, don't use public restrooms, try to avoid holding the banisters, wash your hands before and after you eat, sanitizer doesn't protect against norovirus, but good ole soap and water will.

If you DO get norovirus, stay in your room. I can see why maybe they would say don't go to the infirmary because you're spreading the illness as you go through the ship, it's highly contagious and you can be contagious even 3 days AFTER you feel better. There is no treatment for norovirus, so there is nothing the doctor can even do for you. That's why it's better to just stay in your cabin, drink plenty of liquids, and just let it pass.

Also, I've been on 6 cruises and *knock on wood* never caught anything.

It amazes me when these posts pop up. The virus was brought aboard by a passenger. Disney did not "plant" the virus to ruin holidays. If anything you should just be aware of safe public practices as washing hands, keeping hands away from your face and such. Disney is as much a victim as everyone who has suffered. Don't forget there is an incubation period and who knows some may have picked it up on the aircraft or in travel. If you want to be horrified see the CDC reports on bacteria studies on ice served on airlines. Now that would turn your stomach.

I can't believe they wanted to charge you for the visit! If your symptoms are those of a contagious disease they are supposed to evaluate you. They have to keep records for the CDC. If they determine you are contageous they are supposed to quarantine you until you are 24 hours symptom free.

4 out of 10 of us had Noro on our last cruise. Royal Caribbean treated all of us with an antinausea injection, gave us pills to follow up, and provided pedicare etc. They provided us with special meals in room (broth, bananas, rice, apples, toast, tea) We were able to use anything in the mini bar (bottles water, ginger sodas) and all the paided in room movies were free. They also called to check on us twice a day. There was no charge for any of this. We were all well within 36 hours although it did take a few more days for our stomachs to recover.

Disney is just asking for a breakout if their defense to this virus is to charge
people $220! Shameful!

That's great the RCCL took such good care of you. I agree that Disney can and should do better!! maybe after this cruise we'll be going back to RCCL...;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter