Normal Birth after a c-section anyone?

I had planned to have a VBAC after my first ended with a section. In the last year my hospital no longer allows VBACs because of the risk for uterine rupture. So, I guess I have no other choice but to have a section again for my next pregnancy. Well, I should say I can have a VBAC, but I would have to labor at home and pretty much get to the hospital at the last minute. NO thanks! I had horrible back labor with my DS (he was OP, or "sunny side up")

Oh, are our stories EVER similiar!

I had twins C-section first time, then ******lly delivered in second pregnancy. Great, patient doctor and nurses. They all SAT with me for four hours straight of pushing. I am not kidding!
BUT I had to have a surgical team ready just in case. I think we were about 5 mins away from 2nd c-s because child was taking his time! A vacuum on head helped!

First C-Section was because twins were breech and lateral. I hated the recovery and caring for 2 babies.

It was the most amazing experience to deliver our #3 child as I was eating and visiting one hour after all was done. Snap of a recovery too!

I will tell you the biggest problem in VBACs. I had no idea what pushing meant. I was so sore down there that when they said push against my finger(doc) I couldn't feel a thing. SO finally a nurse said "push like you are doing the biggest bowel movement of your life" and POP out he came!
You basically are a first time mom at the first ******l birth. It is not right to call it "natural" as I feel my c-sec was right and natural for my twins. There is no failure or problem if you need one again. Just give it a good safe try with a lot of support.

I had an unplanned c-section for my DD and plan on exploring VBAC when we have another baby.

Not a flame in anyway, but some people find it very offensive to call a v@ginal birth a "normal" birth. Particularly those, like myself, that have really struggled with having a c-section.

I ended up with a c-section with my first due to fetal distress - apparently our daughter thought it was fun to play with her umbilical cord and got it wrapped too tightly. :) Anyway, I'm currently less than a month away from having my second, and I'm definitely trying for a VBAC! I'm really hopeful about it - even just for the fact that I'll be out of the hospital sooner and won't have the weight restrictions and such that the c-section needed (which would be harder with a toddler around, too).

The OB practice I see is supportive of VBACs, other than that they make you have a c-section if you're "late," so I have one scheduled for my due date... I'd prefer a week or two later, but I wanted to stay with my practice (and other options in the area weren't what I wanted - I wanted all female and an OB in the practice, not just midwives). Anyway, I'm currently 36 weeks and am right now dilated 2 cm, so I'm hoping that I'm on my way for a VBAC (even though I know that really means nothing), but I'm also cautiously aware that I may need another c/s, and I'm hoping to not be caught as off guard by that possibility this time (I had a hard time coping with my first - I was NOT prepared for a c/s). The reality for me was that the recovery from my c/s was NOT that bad... the worst was that I was tired from labor (and had I given birth ******lly, I would have been more tired anyway), but I still don't see a reason to go through major abdominal surgery without good reason, and just because scheduling a c/s and beingn totally prepared for one is WAY more convenient, it's not a good enough reason for me. However, if I don't go into labor by my due date (and I will definitely be trying all natural induction methods available before then!), I'm okay with then having a c-section and knowing that I've tried all I can. I hope you're able to find a doctor who's able to explain the risks and benefits of BOTH delivery options and can make a good decision with you.

You need to first check with you OB if he/she does allow VBACs. I'm an OB nurse and in the past two years the number of OBs that do them, or even allow a woman to try for any length of time is very low. However, one year ago, I had a VBAC. I was upfront with my docs from the begining and it helped that my first two were vag deliveries. So the reason for the C/s was not a narrow pelvis or anything and the incision on my uterus from my C/S was bikini (it yours is Classical (up and down) you don't have a choice, you'll need a C/S b/c of the risk of your uterus rupturing.) At my hospital the OB has to be in the hospital at all times while you're in labor, so this is a big reason docs are not wanting to do VBACs anymore. I had a major, but rare complication w/ my c/s, so the VBAC was MUCH better. First step is to research, then if you do decide, find a doc who will allow you the try and have a VBAC.

Good luck, and remember it's all about the end result; a healthy mom&baby

Another Labor and Delivery nurse here, and married to an Ob/Gyn.

Sometimes the Hospitals insurance carrier doesn't permit Hospitals to do VBAC deliveries, and some require anesthesia doc in the hospital for trial labor along with the Ob/Gyn physician. Of course if the patient comes into the hospital already in the late stages of labor, it's a different scenario.

We have noticed that the c-section rate is increasing, but not always due to the providers themselves, but more to do with insurance practices and guidelines which are based on ACOG (American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology) recommendations.

Personally I support VBAC but only in a hospital setting, not a free standing birth clinic or home setting.

I hope that all those who want to VBAC are able to and have wonderful birth experiences!

Another Labor and Delivery nurse here, and married to an Ob/Gyn.

Personally I support VBAC but only in a hospital setting, not a free standing birth clinic or home setting.

I hope that all those who want to VBAC are able to and have wonderful birth experiences!

Yes, the chances for a rupture are higher in VBACs and I am grateful our local hospital was so supportive. BUT we had a full surgical team on standby with the OR prepped. Can you imagine the dedication this outstanding medical team had for our family?

Yes, the chances for a rupture are higher in VBACs and I am grateful our local hospital was so supportive. BUT we had a full surgical team on standby with the OR prepped. Can you imagine the dedication this outstanding medical team had for our family?

That is so awesome and it makes me happy when people have such a support team!

For my husband it is a never know til the last minute thing and totally depends on who the anesthesia crew is. Whether they have people available, cases going on already, etc. So many legal variables he is unable to promise the trial labor but of course loves to do it when appropriate.

I wish everyone had the opportunity to have a wonderful birth experience.

That medical team was just plain bad. Its not hard to say "girl or boy" when they pull the baby out. They should have told you right away. With my c-section, I was frozen from the neck down. After baby was out, they quickly checked that she was okay, then handed her to my sister (she was in the room for the birth) and then my sister carried her over so I could see her and kiss her and then my sister and baby left with the nurse and went back to the room, where the rest of the family was. As soon as the freezing was gone, I was taken to my room where baby and family was waiting, and I was able to hold her and then try nursing.

didn't get to do the first feed either i think thats what really upset me they just gave her to my hubby i would have found a way of feeding her

I had an unplanned c-section for my DD and plan on exploring VBAC when we have another baby.

Not a flame in anyway, but some people find it very offensive to call a v@ginal birth a "normal" birth. Particularly those, like myself, that have really struggled with having a c-section.

yeah i kinda know what you mean although i was trying to find a word that wouldn't be turned into little stars

I ended up with a c-section with my first due to fetal distress - apparently our daughter thought it was fun to play with her umbilical cord and got it wrapped too tightly. :) Anyway, I'm currently less than a month away from having my second, and I'm definitely trying for a VBAC! I'm really hopeful about it - even just for the fact that I'll be out of the hospital sooner and won't have the weight restrictions and such that the c-section needed (which would be harder with a toddler around, too).

The OB practice I see is supportive of VBACs, other than that they make you have a c-section if you're "late," so I have one scheduled for my due date... I'd prefer a week or two later, but I wanted to stay with my practice (and other options in the area weren't what I wanted - I wanted all female and an OB in the practice, not just midwives). Anyway, I'm currently 36 weeks and am right now dilated 2 cm, so I'm hoping that I'm on my way for a VBAC (even though I know that really means nothing), but I'm also cautiously aware that I may need another c/s, and I'm hoping to not be caught as off guard by that possibility this time (I had a hard time coping with my first - I was NOT prepared for a c/s). The reality for me was that the recovery from my c/s was NOT that bad... the worst was that I was tired from labor (and had I given birth ******lly, I would have been more tired anyway), but I still don't see a reason to go through major abdominal surgery without good reason, and just because scheduling a c/s and beingn totally prepared for one is WAY more convenient, it's not a good enough reason for me. However, if I don't go into labor by my due date (and I will definitely be trying all natural induction methods available before then!), I'm okay with then having a c-section and knowing that I've tried all I can. I hope you're able to find a doctor who's able to explain the risks and benefits of BOTH delivery options and can make a good decision with you.

let me know how it goes. that seems like a very thought out and sensible plan.

thanks for all the posts its given me a lot to think about at least when i go see the midwife again I will have had chance to think about it. Got my scan in 2 weeks as well

I totally agree with the first response (former post partum- L/D nurse here too).

AS for my experience, I had a c section with my twins (due to medical issues with one)
my next PG, was a competely natural experience. More natural than I had anticipated LOL, but natural none-the-less

Good luck.........only time will tell, so 'try' not to worry about it too much. All that REALLY matters is, that the baby & mom are safe.......not how the baby comes out.

i guess i should not worry quite so much we have got someone else to talk to about hubby being able to be there for epidural if i need a c-section as thats the bit that freaked me out. Guess I just need to work out what I want with either birth so it can be as much how i want it to be as it can be. I'm going to make sure they tell me whether its a girl or boy straight away and pass the baby across and i get to do the first feed maybe all that is more important than the actual birth

I had a csection with my first. He was quite large 9lb10oz and didn't want to move far!

When I went in for my first appointment with my new ob/gyn for baby#2 (midwife/wife and ob/husband combination from baby#1 moved to rural VT), he said that I was the ideal VBAC candidate. His VBAC "success" rate was over 90% :) I did need some more monitoring with the VBAC than I would have preferred, but all went well.

Baby#3 was a completely unmedicated non-surgical delivery. It was fantastic.

In all three cases, my labor started naturally. In the cases of babies #1 and #2, my water broke with the very first contraction. In the case of #3, my water broke after 4 hours of labor and only 30 minutes before she was born.

my first pregnancy ended with a miscarriage of twins and I had a D&C.

My 2nd pregnancy I had a 35.5 week preemie ******lly with just one hit of nubain (sp). She was 5 pounds 10 oz and did great! BUT we did not know she had been a twin and the 2nd placenta did not want to detach. I nearly bleed out before they manually extracted it then cauterized the bleed. I needed 6 pints of blood before they would release me, but we had no problems afterwards.

My 3rd pregnancy was a train wreck. I lost a twin at 9 weeks and was put on bed rest for 3 weeks along with progesterone. I then was allowed low stress activity afterwards until 28 weeks 5 days when my water broke. No labor, so I was put on hospital bed rest. With heavy monitoring. At 29 days exactly we found the cord hanging out so she was delivered via emergency c-section. SHe was 2 pounds 14 oz and a feed grower. It was hard enough to recover from a c-section, but to have a baby in the NICU made it worse with daily hospital visits until she came home exclusively breast feeding at 6 weeks 1 day.

My 4th pregnancy was fine. We waited 2+ years to get pregnant and I had a very supportive high risk doc (THe same for all my pregnancies actually) and terrific hospital support for VBAC. I went into labor on my own at 39 weeks 2 days. I used an epidural to prevent strain and did NOT use any "helpers' to increase contractions.

It was by far the easiest delivery I did. I drove myself to the hospital between contractions at 11:15 AM, was admitted to L&D by noon and watched 2 movies before I was ready to push at 5PM. My boy was born just 18 minutes later 8 pounds 15 os. HE had an issue (I want to say it was with his sugar levels but I honestly cannot remember) where they wanted to formula feed him, but we always offered the breast at each feeding, too. He came home exclusively breast fed right on time.

If you have the proper support system in place, and your body cooperates, I think VBAC is the way to go!

my first pregnancy ended with a miscarriage of twins and I had a D&C.

My 2nd pregnancy I had a 35.5 week preemie ******lly with just one hit of nubain (sp). She was 5 pounds 10 oz and did great! BUT we did not know she had been a twin and the 2nd placenta did not want to detach. I nearly bleed out before they manually extracted it then cauterized the bleed. I needed 6 pints of blood before they would release me, but we had no problems afterwards.

My 3rd pregnancy was a train wreck. I lost a twin at 9 weeks and was put on bed rest for 3 weeks along with progesterone. I then was allowed low stress activity afterwards until 28 weeks 5 days when my water broke. No labor, so I was put on hospital bed rest. With heavy monitoring. At 29 days exactly we found the cord hanging out so she was delivered via emergency c-section. SHe was 2 pounds 14 oz and a feed grower. It was hard enough to recover from a c-section, but to have a baby in the NICU made it worse with daily hospital visits until she came home exclusively breast feeding at 6 weeks 1 day.

My 4th pregnancy was fine. We waited 2+ years to get pregnant and I had a very supportive high risk doc (THe same for all my pregnancies actually) and terrific hospital support for VBAC. I went into labor on my own at 39 weeks 2 days. I used an epidural to prevent strain and did NOT use any "helpers' to increase contractions.

It was by far the easiest delivery I did. I drove myself to the hospital between contractions at 11:15 AM, was admitted to L&D by noon and watched 2 movies before I was ready to push at 5PM. My boy was born just 18 minutes later 8 pounds 15 os. HE had an issue (I want to say it was with his sugar levels but I honestly cannot remember) where they wanted to formula feed him, but we always offered the breast at each feeding, too. He came home exclusively breast fed right on time.

If you have the proper support system in place, and your body cooperates, I think VBAC is the way to go!

thanks very much you are very brave I can't believe you had anymore after pregnancy number 2 let alone pregnancy number 3

I did it twice. My OB saw no reason to do c-sections after my first c-section which was due to my son being breech. I was an ideal candidate for VBAC.

I had a c-section with my first. The placenta was tearing and separating from the uterine wall. It was my choice to go ahead with the c-section as it wasn' t quite an emergency yet but if I let the labor progress it could have been an emergency. I just decided to play it safe as my babies heartrate had already plummetted to 0 at one point.

Second pregnancy, I wanted to have the VBAC. I was told I would be a good candidate. I was induced. Baby was lodged on my pelvic bone during delivery. We twisted him, and turned him and I tried all kinds of birthing positions. Doc finally just had to get him out as I had been pushing for more than an hour and he had been lodged there. Used the old forceps on him. I tore really badly even with an episiotomy.

Recovery with my c-section was a piece of cake. Recovery with my VBAC was AWFUL! It's different for everybody though. You have decide what kind of birth you want- make your decision and then be flexible if it doesn't work out. I initially wanted the VBAC but I also wanted whatever was going to get me a healthy baby. If I had to have another c-section I would have been fine with it.

My first was an emergency c-section following failure to progress. I had also been induced as I was a week overdue.
My second was VBAC which was supported by my OB. In fact he talked me into it as I was unsure. There were restrictions. He would only let me go 3 days over my due date and would only allow the labour to last 6hours before doing a c-section. It turned out she was 3 days early and born 40 minutes after I arrived at the hospital. In hindsight, and if I was to do it again, I would go for a c-section. I found the recovery difficult after the natural birth. I passed out in pain 12 hours after the birth and couldn't walk for nearly a week, let alone sit down. The stiches following took longer than the actual birth.
Of course everyone is different. Good luck whatever you decide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter