Nook - What accessories do you need with it?

ClarabelleCowFan

<font color=teal>Found Someone You Have<br><font c
Bought DH one of the $99 3G Wi-Fi Nooks on ebay for Christmas. I was looking for a cover but I also see adapters, book lights, screen protectors and a whole array of accessories.

He will use it at home and when he travels for work. What accessories would he really need? I was looking at a real leather case for it but does he really need a screen protector and a light?

Recommend a case and a booklight. It isn't backlight so you need a book light in low light situations. A cheap clip on one works just as well as the more expensive ones.

At a minimum a good cover, then maybe a light, but that depends upon where he likes to be when he reads. I like to sit next to my lamp or next to the window so I don't need one, but if he reads in low light situations one of those can come in real handy.

A screen protector and other accessories are only necessary if you don't get a good cover.

If he reads a ton (and I do mean a ton) then you might want to consider picking up a micro SD card but I have over 500 books on my Nook and still have 87% of the built in storage available.

For the leather cover consider the Oberon designs covers because although expensive they are really really worth the money. I dropped my nook and it came thru in perfect condition and I swear it's because the cover protected it.

I have the Kindle, not the Nook, but I'm pretty sure the answer is the same:

You don't NEED anything extra to enjoy your e-reader. It'll come with a cord for recharging.

You probably should get a protective cover or bag as soon as possible. E-readers are expensive, and you should protect them. Your screen'll be protected by the cover when you're not using it, and not much can happen to it while you are using it. Most people seem to like the "notebook style" covers, and they do provide the most protection; however, I like my padded bag (Borsa Bella) -- I didn't want the bulk of the notebook while I'm reading. I'm not rough on my Kindle, and it still looks brand-new, although it's two years old.

If you want yours to be different, check out the stickers on DecalGirl.com -- I do love that my Kindle isn't plain white. I also like that a cover like this makes the Kindle just a little bit "grippy"; the plain plastic e-reader felt a little slippery. I had a silicone-rubbery cover for a while, but it was ugly, and -- like I said -- my Kindle lives a pretty easy life. I mainly read it at home, and when I take it anywhere, it's always in its storage bag.

I have a clip-on light (don't think it's the official Kindle version -- I'm pretty sure Santa shopped at Walmart, which is fine), but I rarely use it.

When DBF gave me my Nook he also gave me a cover for it, I love having a cover! No screen protector necessary. I also have a clip on light, which is great for reading in low light. Those are the only things I would say are necessary and the light isn't if it's going to be used in high light only.

I got my Nook about 6 months ago and rarely put it down! I do travel for work and it always come with me.

I bought 2 accessories, a case and a light. I have never used the light. I do recommend the case especially for travel but that is it. It comes with a charger that has an adapter built in.

Maybe instead of a lot of accessories give him a gift card to B&N so he can load it up!

Sorry to ask a question within a question but I'll do it since it fits :)

When you guys say "case" are you talking about something like a book cover or something like a bag to store it in. Not sure which way to go with my new kindle.

Likes of something you love would be nice

I'd do a square trade warranty along with a cover and booklight if he travels a lot. Honestly I've had my Nook for 4months and other than the cover I don't use anything else. The warranty helps me ease my mind tho, in case I did anything stupid like drop it or spill stuff on it.

When you guys say "case" are you talking about something like a book cover or something like a bag to store it in. Not sure which way to go with my new kindle.

Really it can be either. I bought one that looks like a book because I thought it would make it feel like a book but I never hold it that way. I always just fold the cover over. I can see good points about a case that is more of a pouch. Really just depends on your preference.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what type of cover DH would prefer but I think one that would provide some sort of protection would be best. Where do you buy the Oberon cover/cases new? The ones on ebay went for $60 and $70! :scared1:

And how do you buy a Square Trade warranty? Is that something I buy because I bought it through ebay?

Sorry to ask a question within a question but I'll do it since it fits :)

I think it all depends on how you use it and what your preferences are for the heft of the e-reader.

I have a Nook and have an Oberon Design cover. http://www.oberondesign.com/Kindle.php Which opens more like a book and gives my Nook the weight and more of the feel of a regular book. And gives it a lot of protection because it is always on. But it does add a lot of weight to it. And Oberon design cases are really pricey. But some of the other leather covers offered by B&N were just as pricey and not made in america.

OTH - if you like the weight and feel of your Kindle as a stand alone then I think the Borsa Bella cases are great. (I love the Milan design). There are also some other envelope type slip covers which also look good.

I personally missed the weight and lifting the cover feel - plus I'm a klutz - which is why I went with the style I did.

I think it all depends on how you use it and what your preferences are for the heft of the e-reader.

I have a Nook and have an Oberon Design cover. http://www.oberondesign.com/Kindle.php Which opens more like a book and gives my Nook the weight and more of the feel of a regular book. And gives it a lot of protection because it is always on. But it does add a lot of weight to it. And Oberon design cases are really pricey. But some of the other leather covers offered by B&N were just as pricey and not made in america.

OTH - if you like the weight and feel of your Kindle as a stand alone then I think the Borsa Bella cases are great. (I love the Milan design). There are also some other envelope type slip covers which also look good.

I personally missed the weight and lifting the cover feel - plus I'm a klutz - which is why I went with the style I did.

I also have an Oberon cover for my nook. I actually didn't buy my nook until I had the cover, so that it could be protected from the beginning. And I bought a Bursa Bella bag to hold the nook inside it's cover. But, I only use that to replace a purse if I am going someplace and don't need much mroe than my nook, wallet, and phone. :-) It's an addiction.

I have a nook light, but I've only used it a handful of times. It's nice if you want to read at night and you're not near a light (camping, in the car, etc.)

And I can't stress the importance of an extended warranty enough. If you didn't buy it from B&N when you bought the nook, buy one from Square Trade. That way, if it gets dropped, something spills on it, etc. it can be replaced.

your Kindle as a stand alone then I think the Borsa Bella cases are great. (I love the Milan design). There are also some other envelope type slip covers which also look good.
Yep, that'd be me. I like the small feel of just the Kindle in my hand, and I don't miss the weight of a "book" at all.

I have had my Borsa Bella cover for two years, and it's beginning to look a little faded. Of course, it is red -- and a design that's no longer available, so I can't point it out -- and red does fade. Still, if this cover/pouch is what you want, this is a good product. I chose the zipper on the long side, but you might like it on the short side of the pouch instead. I thought it was a little pricey, but -- as I said -- it's had two full years of use and is still in good condition.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BorsaBella?section_id=5275129

Another option, if you want a pouch: The Vera Bradley mini-hipster is just the right size and has a longer strap for over-the-shoulder carrying. It also has a couple extra pockets that might or might not be useful to you, whereas the Borsa Bella bag is JUST one pouch. I'd suggest caution if you're putting other things in those pockets. I wouldn't want to store anything against the screen (even with a piece of fabric in between). Also, the Vera Bradley bag, which really isn't intended to protect, isn't as thick as the Borsa Bella bag.

I'm not a fan of the notebook covers (though I'm definitely in the minority). I have one of the cheap silicone ones and a screen protector. That way its not bulky, but I don't have to take my nook out of a bag or anything.

Honestly for the cover it's a more personal preference. You can give your DH a gift card of some sort so he could pick it out himself. I don't like the "sleeve" cover because I have to take the device out to use it. I made my own cover which looks like a book cover. And it's worked really well so far. I didn't bother with any screen protector because of it. The cover I made has a plastic layer on top of the touchscreen, since I hate fingerprints on it.

Squaretrade warranty just go to squaretrade.com, get yourself a quote for how ever many years you want it. There's a question for either refurb or new, just make sure you pick the right one. Also, don't forget to google for coupon codes. There's always some codes for at least 20%. I always look for minimum 30% off before purchasing.

We bought our 14 yo a Nook for her birthday. She uses it in the car a lot when we travel (and often at night), so I bought her a case with a built in booklight.

I just have the accesories that came with my nook and the book cover. I got mine at best buy for 34.99 and it is great :) I like that I can hold my nook just like a regular book with it. I am going to be getting a book light because although I leave my lamp on while I am reading it annoys DH...I have terrible vision and can read my nook in pretty low light so even though it is not backlit it is a nice bright screen...gosh I love my nook LOL

ETA: My nook cover is a leather M-Edge

Does anyone have the M edge leisure jacket cover for the Nook? I'm thinking about getting the for my teen girls for Christmas. I'm afraid of spills and scratches.

Maggie

I just got a nook last week. At the time I purchased a cover but now I need a light. They had a cover with a built in light and I am sorry that I did not get that one. I am going to get the clip on book light this weekend for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter