• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nook or Kindle ?

I got my nook on Wednesday night. I love it! I chose it over the Kindle 2 due to the ease of being able to check out ebooks from our local library. I can download a book from my library and have it on my nook in under a minute.

There's an app for that... I just downloaded the Barnes & Nobel Nook app for my iPhone and ipad. Now I just have to figure out how to check out the books from the local library on it.

If all you want to do is read (not play with apps, etc. etc.) kindle or nook or sony would work.

If you want to borrow library books, your options would be nook or sony

After that it comes down to preferrence and the nitty gritty.
- Which one feels better in your hands
- Which one looks better to you
- Do you want replaceable battery (nook)
- Do you want better much larger book selection (kindle)
- Do you want to read in landscape mode (I hear Sony has this option)
- Do you want only wifi option for cheaper price and don't care about 3g (nook)
- Do you want to be able to purchase book outside us (kindle)

good luck!

Actually if you are interested in the Overdrive Library system there are far more choices than Sony and nook, although those are the major brands

You can get these
These devices use the Adobe Reader® Mobile 9 software development kit (SDK) for compatibility with eBook files.

* Aluratek, Inc.
* Astak
* Barnes & Noble
* BeBook (Endless Ideas)
* Bookeen
* COOL-ER
* ECO Reader
* Elonex
* enTourage eDGe
* Hanlin
* IREX Technologies
* Lbook
* Neolux Corporation
* Onyx
* Sony Portable Reader
* Toshiba
* Zero Corporation Ltd

And a couple of others that are just coming online and haven't made it to the Adobe webpage list yet.

Overdrive has come up with an APP that will allow you to download audiobooks to an iPad/iTouch/iPhone but they haven't yet developed one for eBooks. I don't know if they will or not - it is certainly possible.

I actually had my husband return the Kindle he purchased for Valentine's day- I know we were planning on getting an iPad when they came out and couldn't justify both. Glad we made the decision - I love the multi functions of the iPad and love the backlight for reading in bed.

I have an a ipod touch, which also has the capability of using the Kindle and B&N e-reader apps. I also have a Nook. I love my nook for e-books and hate using the ipod touch. My biggest issue using the touch/ipad/iphone with the e-reader apps is the backlight issue. I cannot use my ipod touch outside in bright sunlight. On the other hand I can read the Nook outside in bright sunlight.

I have a Kindle and it has paid for itself already,I read constantly. Also nice to not have books lying all over the place. You can also get free books on Amazon.

We've bought one of each. Wife got the Kindle for her birthday back in March. Bought my dad the Nook this summer. Both are slightly above average readers, though I wouldn't say avid. We liked the Kindle because it seemed to have a deeper library of e-publications when it came to magazines and newspapers.

Dad shops B&N a fair amount. It also looks like the Nook may have more "up and coming" features in addition to the 'lend a book' for two weeks and reading e-books for free at the local B&N. We did go for the $200 Nook which can download content anywhere(as with the Kindle). That said, there is a WiFi only version which sells for $150. This would work in a brick and mortar B&N or via your home's wireless network, if you have one.

Both DW and dear old dad seem to be enjoying their new toys. Makes reading easier, but it may take a little while to start to "show a profit".

if your using the kindle app, for the iphone and you are having eye strain. You can also go into the settings menu and change the screen brightness, so its not so bright.

The other alternative is to download stanza(iphone app), it lets you dimm the screen with out going into the main iphone settings menu. You would have to download calibre for your pc (its free) and you may choose to do that to manage your downloadable books too. It has a search feature, and it allows you to change versions of the book from one to another, like lit to epub, etc. Not sure about the books with drm on them, haven't tried.

I have a nook. It took a little time to get use to the touch screen on it. It is not as easy to turn a page like the iphone app for the kindle/stanza/barnes noble. But after a few weeks, its ok. Of course the screen doesn't cause any eye strain. You do however need a night light if your reading in the complete dark. I'm glad I purchased it.

Nook has freebie friday book , don't forget to look on fridays.

if your using the kindle app, for the iphone and you are having eye strain. You can also go into the settings menu and change the screen brightness, so its not so bright.

The other alternative is to download stanza(iphone app), it lets you dimm the screen with out going into the main iphone settings menu. You would have to download calibre for your pc (its free) and you may choose to do that to manage your downloadable books too. It has a search feature, and it allows you to change versions of the book from one to another, like lit to epub, etc. Not sure about the books with drm on them, haven't tried.

I have a nook. It took a little time to get use to the touch screen on it. It is not as easy to turn a page like the iphone app for the kindle/stanza/barnes noble. But after a few weeks, its ok. Of course the screen doesn't cause any eye strain. You do however need a night light if your reading in the complete dark. I'm glad I purchased it.

Nook has freebie friday book , don't forget to look on fridays.

All you do is push a button (the page turn isn't part of the touch screen anyways)... how does the iphone app make pushing a button any easier?

We've bought one of each. Wife got the Kindle for her birthday back in March. Bought my dad the Nook this summer. Both are slightly above average readers, though I wouldn't say avid. We liked the Kindle because it seemed to have a deeper library of e-publications when it came to magazines and newspapers.

Dad shops B&N a fair amount. It also looks like the Nook may have more "up and coming" features in addition to the 'lend a book' for two weeks and reading e-books for free at the local B&N. We did go for the $200 Nook which can download content anywhere(as with the Kindle). That said, there is a WiFi only version which sells for $150. This would work in a brick and mortar B&N or via your home's wireless network, if you have one.

Both DW and dear old dad seem to be enjoying their new toys. Makes reading easier, but it may take a little while to start to "show a profit".

Thanks! That's what I was thinking about it making it easier. As I was driving to the library today to pick up books I've been waiting for, I thought it would have been so easy to just download this book. I don't mind buying books but I also don't mind borrowing from the library.

I would love the Kindle for the convenience factor but I don't think it would save me any money. In fact I think it would make me spend more. I have never in my life bought a hard cover book when they first come out. I either buy paper backs or get books out of the library. Lately I have been having very good luck getting new popular releases fairly quickly from the library. But they are heavy to carry - especially when I go on vacation and want to bring several. So buying a book at $9.99 (which it seems many books are priced at) would be spending more on books for me.

I have a Nook and love it. I like that I can buy e-books from B&N, Kobo Books, Borders, Sony, Smashwords, Fictionwise, and even Amazon if they're DRM-free (Amazon books require format conversion, which is why they must be DRM-free to work for the Nook) as well as borrow e-books from the library. With the Kindle, you're mostly stuck with buying from Amazon and a couple other places that have DRM-free .mobi e-books (not that Amazon doesn't have a good selection, I just like the option of price comparing at different stores for e-books I want).

B&N spotlights a free download every Friday on the official Nook blog, plus you can find various free versions of public domain books on various sites, like FeedBooks and Project Gutenberg (and the free ones from FeedBooks are often better formatted than the ones you can buy from B&N or Amazon).

The Nook, because of its touch screen, does have a slightly shorter battery life than the Kindle, but I haven't found it to be a problem - it still lasts several days before I need to plug in to recharge, and I just remember once or twice a week to plug it in before I go to bed.

I love to come on here & read everyone's reviews of ereaders. I'd love to get an ipad but the price is way too high for me to justify the purchase. I have my imac but would love a portable ereader to help me cut down on the amount of books in the house. From the reviews posted here, it seems like both Nook & Kindle have decent reviews. Guess I'll take a trip to Target & B&N to get a feel for both of them. :thumbsup2

All you do is push a button (the page turn isn't part of the touch screen anyways)... how does the iphone app make pushing a button any easier?

The nook has page turn buttons on both the right side and the left side of the device, which is convenient, depending on which hand is holding the device.
You may not realize this, but the touch screen on the nook does do the page turn feature. Once the bottom touch screen times out, (you can set the time it takes to time out too), you can use a swiping motion to turn the pages on the nook. Now the turning the page on the nook, took a little bit to get the hang of because its not as simple as the iphone apps swipe features. On the nook, you kind of have to do it the right way, I"m not sure how to describe that.

Hope this helps you out, just be patient when learning the touch screen to swipe and turn pages, it took a while to get use to it. At first couldn't get it to turn a page without swiping at least 10 times. But, now works fine, it is sluggish, but works as its suppose to.

I love, love, love my Kindle. It hasn't saved me any money on books because I never really bought books much before, I would forget what I wanted by the time I got to the bookstore and our library is very small. However, in entertainment value, it has already paid off. I have read more this summer than I have in the past few years and I love it. I didn't realize how much I missed sitting down with a good book.

I also have to comment on Amazon's customer service, not only did they refund me $70 after the price drop on the Kindle (I bought mine two weeks before they dropped the price). They also sent me a new one after my screen died. I was reading one night and the screen went black. I called the next day and they express mailed me a new Kindle and I just returned the broken one. Very happy with the customer service.

To be fair, I haven't researched any of the other e-readers so I don't know how they compare, but , I am thrilled with my Kindle.:goodvibes

The nook has page turn buttons on both the right side and the left side of the device, which is convenient, depending on which hand is holding the device.
You may not realize this, but the touch screen on the nook does do the page turn feature. Once the bottom touch screen times out, (you can set the time it takes to time out too), you can use a swiping motion to turn the pages on the nook. Now the turning the page on the nook, took a little bit to get the hang of because its not as simple as the iphone apps swipe features. On the nook, you kind of have to do it the right way, I"m not sure how to describe that.

Hope this helps you out, just be patient when learning the touch screen to swipe and turn pages, it took a while to get use to it. At first couldn't get it to turn a page without swiping at least 10 times. But, now works fine, it is sluggish, but works as its suppose to.

I didn't know this! That's cool. I have no problems with the page turn buttons on the side. The page forward button sits right on my thumb when I'm reading (I hold it with one hand). I actually think it would be harder to try to swipe it on the touch screen (though I'm sure I'll play with that tonight anyways! ;) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter