Noodles/LoMein at Ohana

Bertie131

DIS Veteran
I was recently at WDW and ate at Ohana as we always do. The lomein is one of our favorite dishes. The recipes online all have peanut butter and pineapple in them. I have made that recipe and it is very good, but tastes nothing like what is served in the restaurant. I have even gone as far as emailing WDW for the recipe and the same one as online was sent to me. What can you tell me? Are they the same noodles as the recipe and I am losing my mind:goodvibes or are they a different recipe? Help! Thanks!

My son has a life threating peanut allergy, and we have eaten at Ohana. We let the server know this as well as calling and a notation on our reservation. They do not serve us anything with nuts and we have been served the noodles. We do not receive the bread or dipping sauces.

I also noticed the recipe for these noodles online has peanutbutter yet the ones served in the restaurant do not.:confused3

Edit: My son did not eat the noodles. So I am not 100% sure now they were safe.

I love those noodles! All I can say is that I've tried looking up recipes and thought the same thing as you.. There is no way that the noodles I ate had peanut butter in them! They just didn't taste like that. If anyone has the recipe I would also love to have it. I have the salad dressing recipe that I'd be happy to share :)

The noodles at 'Ohana used to contain peanut butter but the new recipe (changed 5 or so years ago) does not. My husband has a life threatening peanut allergy and we always eat at 'Ohana every trip and his favorite dish is the noodles. So I assure you there are no peanuts or peanut oil!

If anyone finds the new recipe I'd love to have it! I've searched high and low but have not been able to find it. :confused3

i wonder if it has tahini in it?
tahini is sesame paste (used in hummus and a lot of asian cooking).
it's expensive and often peanut butter is substituted in recipes for the family kitchen.

The flavor and texture of the ground roasted sesame is similar to peanut butter but has nothing to do with peanuts for allergy purposes.

you might want to try subbing that out in the recipe instead of pnut butter.
it's delicious stuff.

great! I am looking forward to trying these so much more now. I had seen the recipe and my mom told me how great they were, but I didn't think she would have like the noodles with pb in them and I knew I wouldn't really like that flavor either. lo mein is one of my dd's fave foods and I was afraid she wouldn't like them either...thanks for the info

I can't answer directly about 'Ohana's, but if you are trying to get an 'Asian' flavor, try adding somethign called Mirin. (Sweet rice cooking wine) Make sure to read the label though - just like La Choy is fake soy sauce - make sure you are using real mirin. the ingredients list on your mirin should not say sugar or corn syrup - only rice wine. (I think La Choy also makes fake Mirin). Make sure to use real soy sauce too - like one labeled "Tamari". I've also found that to create an Asian flavor you need ginger and garlic. I can find real mirin in my local grocery store. Also try a place like Whole Foods; they carry real mirin. that may well be eh flavor you are missing.
Another important ingredient is toasted sesame oil. Again, I find it at WF.

(ANother popular ingredient is five spice powder - but that gets tricky to keep on hand. It contians Anise- whcihc dones't keep it aromatics long after it's been ground up. Most bottles you see in stores are not going to be very fresh.)

I make a great freid rice using leftover cold rice (must be cold), any onion, soy sauce, mirin, maybe garlic, and a mix of regular sesame oil and toasted sesame oil. Toasted sesame oil has a rather potent flavor. It's great, but a few drops adds plenty of flavor and saves money (TSO is more expensive than plain oil.) I add almost any veggie, especially leftover ones and frozen veggies like peas, corn. You can make it with scrambled egg. You can also add almost any leftover meat - even sausage. It works really well with leftovers, butyou can also cook things up fresh. the only must is COLD leftover rice. Add the rice last.

I have sent another e-mail to WDW in hopes that someone can speak with Ohana and find out about this recipe. Since I can't talk with Ohana directly, I am hoping someone on the other end of the email will do it for me. If I get the new recipe, I will be sure to post it here. :)

The latest on the email to WDW:

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

I have just rechecked with the Chef, he apologizes that is an older
version, however he does not have the newer one figured for home use.
As soon as he does, I will send it off to you.

We apologize for the delay and the inconvenience. We will be back in
touch as soon as possible.

The latest on the email to WDW:

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

I have just rechecked with the Chef, he apologizes that is an older
version, however he does not have the newer one figured for home use.
As soon as he does, I will send it off to you.

We apologize for the delay and the inconvenience. We will be back in
touch as soon as possible.

Can you share the contact info? I'd be happy if I just new the specific ingredients and then I'd work off that to taste. It's not like baking.

This is from an e-mail I just received recenty:

Aloha Cousin!

It is always a pleasure to hear from one of our many extended ‘ohana! We are glad you enjoyed your recent visit to Disney’s Polynesian Resort.

Attached you will find the recipe(s) requested if available.

Please feel free to experiment. You may need to make small adjustments due to the difference in your local products and climate. We also produce items in much larger quantity than are represented by this recipe which may lead to small differences in the finished product.

Please enjoy with our compliments and Aloha!

Pineapple Teriyaki Glaze (Yakisoba Noodles)
‘Ohana
Disney’s Polynesian Resort

Yield: 1 ½ quart

Pineapple Glaze Ingredients

2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 ¾ Cup Soy Sauce
¾ Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
1 ¼ Tablespoon Fresh Garlic, minced
1 ¼ Tablespoon Fresh Ginger, minced
2 ¼ Tablespoons Cornstarch
4 Tablespoons Pineapple Juice, frozen concentrate

Yakisoba Noodles
Shredded Red & Green Cabbage
Shredded Bok Choy

Method of Preparation

Dissolve all ingredients, except cornstarch and pineapple juice, in sauce pot.
Bring to a boil.
Make a slurry with the cornstarch and pineapple juice, and slowly add to boiling mixture to thicken.
Simmer for 30 minutes.
Strain through fine mesh strainer.
Saute’ shredded red and green cabbage and bok choy in wok. Add Yakisoba noodles and Pineapple glaze and toss.

This is one of my favorite meals ever!!! I don't even touch the meat! haha!! I would love to get my hands on that recipe too!

Made this last night for dinner. It was yummy and spot on with regards to flavor. However, this is a LARGE sauce recipe. I thought it might be when I saw the amounts of each ingredient. It was way too much sauce for a 16 ounce box of yakisoba noodles which made more than plenty of noodles for our family of 3 with lots of leftovers.

I would suggest cutting this recipe in 1/2. I used about 1/2 the sauce and it was still more than enough. I hated to throw the remaining sauce out, because it was so yummy, but I didn't have anything else to use it on.

I also used canned pineapple juice instead of frozen concentrate.

This is from an e-mail I just received recenty:

Aloha Cousin!

It is always a pleasure to hear from one of our many extended ‘ohana! We are glad you enjoyed your recent visit to Disney’s Polynesian Resort.

Attached you will find the recipe(s) requested if available.

Please feel free to experiment. You may need to make small adjustments due to the difference in your local products and climate. We also produce items in much larger quantity than are represented by this recipe which may lead to small differences in the finished product.

Please enjoy with our compliments and Aloha!

Pineapple Teriyaki Glaze (Yakisoba Noodles)
‘Ohana
Disney’s Polynesian Resort

Yield: 1 ½ quart

Pineapple Glaze Ingredients

2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 ¾ Cup Soy Sauce
¾ Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
1 ¼ Tablespoon Fresh Garlic, minced
1 ¼ Tablespoon Fresh Ginger, minced
2 ¼ Tablespoons Cornstarch
4 Tablespoons Pineapple Juice, frozen concentrate

Yakisoba Noodles
Shredded Red & Green Cabbage
Shredded Bok Choy

Method of Preparation

Dissolve all ingredients, except cornstarch and pineapple juice, in sauce pot.
Bring to a boil.
Make a slurry with the cornstarch and pineapple juice, and slowly add to boiling mixture to thicken.
Simmer for 30 minutes.
Strain through fine mesh strainer.
Saute’ shredded red and green cabbage and bok choy in wok. Add Yakisoba noodles and Pineapple glaze and toss.

Very weird. I was just reading the 'Ohana menu (on allears) to my kids last night to get them excited and it clearly says "egg noodles tossed in a peanut sauce with pineapple". And that supposedly is a 4/12 update.

Maybe they had a substitute sauce for severe peanut allergies and people liked it better?

I'll have to make the above recipe one night to get us excited for 'Ohana. We still have to wait til January to try it.

I loooovveee the noodles at Ohana. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I may have to give it a go one of these nights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter