• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Noob question about deck level

bkelly65us

QuitsSkyDiver51
Next year is our 20th anniversary and we are thinking of taking the kids for a cruise. This would be our first time aboard a cruise ship of any kind and while doing our research we haven't been able to figure out what deck to chose. Is it that important? The choices on the DCL website are 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10.

Deck choice is a personal preference. In the golden age, there used to be a class system where passengers on lower decks didn't get the same benefits as passengers on higher decks. Disney doesn't have any of that stigma associated with the lower decks, and everyone get the same benefits and eat at the same restaurants regardless of which deck or category they book (though concierge guests do get additional benefits.)

If you're prone to seasickness, the motion should technically be less the lower and more central you are on the ship, making the lower deck possibly more preferable. If you are more concerned about convenience, Deck 6 may be closer to the main restaurants and the kids clubs, while the upper decks will be closer to the pools, waterslide, and additional restaurant. But location near a convenient elevator can make actual deck location somewhat moot.

I pay a lot of attention to what is above and below and next to the room I'm looking at. I don't generally want to be underneath a night club or restaurant or kitchen, or over the theatres, nightclubs, or gangway. I've sailed on the Magic underneath the goofy pool and under Topsiders, and the noise from above was annoying at times. The Dream does a pretty good job of this, but some rooms on Deck 6 may still be over things, and some rooms on the upper deck may be under some things that make them less desirable.

The difference is that because of the tradition described above, you will pay more for a higher deck. It really doesn't make any difference! On the Magic and Wonder, the cabins are essentially the same (ok, single vs double bath in 10 and better, inside/window/balcony, but essentially same living space). You'll eat in the same restaurants, see the same shows, have the same services, etc. until you move to concierge level.

On the current system, I see no point in paying for a cat 5 rather than a 6 if I want a balcony cabin for 4. The only difference is deck level, which is meaningless.

We took the stairs alot..... on the Wonder we were deck 5, so went up them and down them for various things, kids club was on our deck. For the dream, we chose deck 7 for the same reason, knowing we will be taking the stairs alot.... preferred to be in the middle.

..... we haven't been able to figure out what deck to chose. Is it that important? The choices on the DCL website are 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10.

bkelly65us -
I just wanted to make sure that you understand that rooms are generally choosen by category - the choices you state above offered are NOT the decks, but rather avaliable room categories. Guest rooms aboard the Wonder & Magic are not located above deck 8.

You can look at the deck plans on this site
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-deckplans.htm
to see what categories are located on which decks.

Ihope this helps!

We have stayed in a room with a verandah, an oceanview room and a deluxe inside state room.

We decided that we were not in the room enough to justify the cost of a verandah.

We missed knowing what time of day it was without access to the outside so we decided our best value was an oceanview room on deck two.

Now when we cruise the new ships we will try the inside stateroom again because there is a fake port window with a true picture of the current conditions outside.

I would rather have the money to spend on myself and to give a little more in tips than on a room I am only sleeping in.

Where you book a room on the ship is a very personal decision. Ask lots of questions from thosse thatr have cruise before and make the best decision you can for your first. It most likely will not be your last and you can then discover what fit you and your family the best.

bkelly65us -
I just wanted to make sure that you understand that rooms are generally choosen by category - the choices you state above offered are NOT the decks, but rather avaliable room categories. Guest rooms aboard the Wonder & Magic are not located above deck 8.

Ihope this helps!

Well, no, not really. I'm going by what I am reading from the disney cruise line website. When I put in our information the website comes back with 4 choices, all Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah. An example is the very first choice:
Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah
Category 04D
Sleeps: 4 or 5
Size: 299 sq. ft. including verandah
Deck: 6
View: Private verandah

The second:
Category 04C
Deck: 7

As you can see from the information directly from the disney website, it clearly states deck 6 for the first and deck 7 for the second. The third offering was for deck 8 and the fourth says deck 9 and 10.

bkelly65us -

You can look at the deck plans on this site
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-deckplans.htm
to see what categories are located on which decks.

Ihope this helps!

Looks as if the OP is looking at booking the Dream, which has cabins on deck 9 and above.

Well, no, not really. I'm going by what I am reading from the disney cruise line website. When I put in our information the website comes back with 4 choices, all Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah. An example is the very first choice:
Category 04D
Deck: 6

The second:
Category 04C
Deck: 7

As you can see from the information directly from the disney website, it clearly states deck 6 for the first and deck 7 for the second. The third offering was for deck 8 and the fourth says deck 9 and 10.

Have you looked at getting an oceanview cabin, which is category 8A, B C and D cabins? Not sure if you are set on getting a verandah cabin or not, but an oceanview cabin is also an option on the Dream.

Have you looked at getting an oceanview cabin, which is category 8A, B C and D cabins? Not sure if you are set on getting a verandah cabin or not, but an oceanview cabin is also an option on the Dream.

I guess the only thing I'm really set on is not collapsing over sticker shock! :) Seriously, though, this is all new to us. We've never been aboard a ship larger than a speed boat. I don't think we even know what questions to ask. We've been using the DCL website to get some insight, though. As for the verandah, it appears the difference between having one and not is around $1000.00. I think I'd rather have that money in my pocket.
What is the differences in categories? It appears the difference between an 08c and 08b is $100.00.

The DCL website does not have a good desciption of cabin categories, in my opinion. To help me choose, I looked at both the Dreams Unlimited website and the disboards main page cruise sction. One of those (sorry, can't remember which), has a great description of each. On the Dream, I think the only dfference with the A, B, and C is where on the deck a cabin is located (midship, etc.0

I guess the only thing I'm really set on is not collapsing over sticker shock! :) Seriously, though, this is all new to us. We've never been aboard a ship larger than a speed boat. I don't think we even know what questions to ask. We've been using the DCL website to get some insight, though. As for the verandah, it appears the difference between having one and not is around $1000.00. I think I'd rather have that money in my pocket.
What is the differences in categories? It appears the difference between an 08c and 08b is $100.00.

The breakdown of category by letters is all new to everyone since DCL just started using that system for 2011 bookings. But as the previous posted stated it's just the breakdown of location of each category.
If you aren't set on having the verandah, then book the cat. 8, either B or C, and be happy with your savings over booking the verandah. The cabins will be the same size for the cat. 4 and cat. 8 since you are looking at booking the Dream.

Any other questions just ask and you can also read over the FAQ sticky at the top of the forums for answers to questions you didn't even know you had.

Since you're looking at Cat 4 rooms, I'm going to make the assumption that you have a family of 5. If that's the case, only the Cat 4 and 8 rooms (and concierge rooms and suites) are large enough to fit 5 in 1 room. But if you're not set on a specific category, or deck location, then be sure to price out an option of booking two connecting rooms (with a door that opens to allow you to go from room to room like in a hotel) in a lower priced category. Many times it's less expensive to book two connecting rooms than one 5 person room, and you get the advantage of getting a second bathroom and a way for the kids to sleep in a separate room from the adults. (you can also do this if only 4 people in your party, but it doesn't always work out cheaper.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter