• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Non-tippers outed on Carnival

English Andrew ? ...are you quite sure ?

....only there appears to be a glass of wine in the background in one shot, rather than the more usual mug of tea, or bottle of Vimto........are you quite sure these photos weren't taken in France ?

yes -- and where's the cider vinegar for those chips!????....ketchup!!!???....:scared1:

;)

Do you just charge them the first day on the ship? I sure was not aware of any official system for pre-paying tips.

You can pre-pay your gratuities through DCL reservations. It is done on the reservation. The system works almost the same as if you choose not to prepay. For example, if you do not prepay, you receive the worksheet that you fill out and take to Guest Services and in turn get the coupons.

When you prepay, you get the coupons on the same day when everyone else gets their worksheets. It is accompanied by a note/letter that tells you that you chose to prepay your gratuities, yadda, yadda, yadda...

When we've cruised, we have prepaid our gratuities and always still end up adding some cash in the little envelopes for the crew...they deserve it.
:yay:

I was on the pier waiting for friends on my last Magic cruise (may 2) and the Carnival ship was next to the Magic. DCL CM and the CD, ACD, and other officers were near by -answering question as quest disembarked. And assisting the Carnival quest - answering question about the city, giving them the time, and acting very professional. How many Carnival officers or CM did I see? Zero as in none. I'm sure those Carnival quest wished they had booked the DCL cruise - I think I hear new DCL Fans coming aboard:rotfl:

DCL has the greatest crew member and outstanding officers.

Andrew spent 4 weeks in London last year and I believe I ate Fish and Chips everyday. If you'd ever like to do a house swap - I'm in Orlando. Let's talk. :flower3:

I don't know what the story is here? On some of the cruise lines it was always my understanding that if you yanked the auto-tip early on in the cruise they pulled your serving team in and asked them if there was something they did to warrant this. I know a few people who have done this and I have heard from them that their waitstaff have asked if they had a problem with their service and if there was anything they could do better so they were definitely aware. A lot of people just preferred the old style of tipping and actually liked to hand their waiter and cabin steward an envelope on the last night.

Not everyone who opts out of the auto-tip programs stiff the crew.

Look at the picture closely... what self-respecting Frenchman would ever drink a glass of wine out of plastic, or eat on paper plates... Nope, this photo was definitely taken in merry old England :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

...I guess then Andrew must be quite posh (but clearly not french)

- wine with fish & chips - hope it was a decent Chablis and not Libfraumilch, eh Andrew ?:lmao:

...I guess then Andrew must be quite posh (but clearly not French)

- wine with fish & chips - hope it was a decent Chablis and not Liebfraumilch, eh Andrew ?:lmao:

1/ Quite posh, maybe, but with a bit of East End and Essex boy.

2/ Clearly not French, well having a French mum, I presume makes me 50% French.

3/ Decent Wine, A must with anything, even breakfast. I already have my 7 night wine package booked for August. Must have your priorities right. (Getting back OT, Pre paid Tips after booking the Wine!)

Ahhh ....half french ...I knew there had to be a reason for that wine !
......great stuff !

Enjoy your wine package and your cruise Andrew ! :goodvibes

And Scotch in me as well, but thats just a Sunday morning drink!!!!:woohoo::rotfl:;)

Also forgot something for my Chips......
ketchup.jpg

Ahhh...Heinz Ketchup....my favorite food group!!!

MJ

We're a Sam's Great Value Ketchup household. (my dad used to work in the tomato canning industry........used to watch them make Ketchup...then put the same Ketchup (and Catsup for that matter) in bottles that said "Sacramento Brand", "Heinz" "Del Monte" and just about every grocery store brand you could think of.) My loyalty is to the lowest price.

I don't know what the story is here? On some of the cruise lines it was always my understanding that if you yanked the auto-tip early on in the cruise they pulled your serving team in and asked them if there was something they did to warrant this. I know a few people who have done this and I have heard from them that their waitstaff have asked if they had a problem with their service and if there was anything they could do better so they were definitely aware. A lot of people just preferred the old style of tipping and actually liked to hand their waiter and cabin steward an envelope on the last night.

Not everyone who opts out of the auto-tip programs stiff the crew.

My mom always opts out on other cruise lines and then has a lower fixed amount charged to her account.. She feels the suggested tip amount is too high given that she never eats anywhere but the buffet. She feels the $70 is too high given she often only paid $299 for the entire cruise.

My mom always opts out on other cruise lines and then has a lower fixed amount charged to her account.. She feels the suggested tip amount is too high given that she never eats anywhere but the buffet. She feels the $70 is too high given she often only paid $299 for the entire cruise.

The problem with this logic if applied to Disney is that your tip to your servers represent the tip for the entire cruise. Even if you did not eat in the dining room, you did eat somewhere. Your servers took their turn serving people at the breakfast and lunch buffets, working the "fast food" outlets, etc. as did the other servers. SO, even if you chose to eat only at the buffets (and DCL doesn't have a dinner buffet--it is casual dining on deck 9, but is served), someone has served you.

I was on the Wonder May 10-14th. I went to Guest Services on the 2nd day of our trip and got the envelopes and payed right on the spot. They give you tickets and all you have to do is put names on the envelopes and put the tickets in. I handed them all out on the last night- easy as pie-

These CMs work thier butts off and deserve all they get. This was my second cruise and have yet to run into a bad server/host/ or just staff member yet. I could not imagine going and not tipping them. If you don't tip them then you just don't the service industry and what they stand for

just my two cents

Peter Hopkins:thumbsup2

The problem with this logic if applied to Disney is that your tip to your servers represent the tip for the entire cruise. Even if you did not eat in the dining room, you did eat somewhere. Your servers took their turn serving people at the breakfast and lunch buffets, working the "fast food" outlets, etc. as did the other servers. SO, even if you chose to eat only at the buffets (and DCL doesn't have a dinner buffet--it is casual dining on deck 9, but is served), someone has served you.

No problem with the logic that I see. She tips, at a level that she feels is appropriate for the type and quality of service she gets. The automatic tip level is calculated for folks who make use of the full service restaurants and get good service. I should note, this is on a cruise line where the tips are pooled, not given to specific servers. So no individuals get in trouble.

Ok, question. I always prefer to tip in cash. Is that still OK or must I charge it to a ship account?

I figure if I pay in cash, if they choose not to report it as income, not my problem.

Ok, question. I always prefer to tip in cash. Is that still OK or must I charge it to a ship account?

I figure if I pay in cash, if they choose not to report it as income, not my problem.

That's what I do.
Cash is always okay. Well, except at Best Buy!!! They actually have debit/credit only checkstands and I made the mistake of going in when everyone authorized to run a "cash" check stand was on break.

We are also cash people....and its still fine to do!!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter