Non-park adventures

erbeaman

Mouseketeer
We will be heading to FL the first full week of April :thumbsup2! We will be spending a couple of days in St. Augustine before heading to Davenport for 4 nights. We go to the Orlando area almost every year and have seen all the "big" things. This year we are really just trying to escape the MI winter and spend some time in the sun. What are your favorite places to visit that aren't major theme parks or beaches? Things like airboat tours, zoos, museums, animal encounters, dinner theaters... It will be me, DH, DS (13), DS (9), and DD (7). Can't wait!!

Off the top of my head.....

Wild Willy's airboats

Gatorland

Congo River mini golf

Outta Control Dinner Show (at Wonderworks)

Showcase of Citrus (monster truck tour through an orange grove)

Kissimmee Go Karts (go karting and gator feeding)

Aquatica (they have $37 any day tickets right now)

Shrek Feast at Gaylord Palms (character breakfast)

Hollywood Drive-In Golf at Citywalk

I was going to suggest mini-golf too. Orlando is rich with great locations (those listed above and the Pirates courses) and this is particularly fun in the evening.

We had a great non-disney day at Gatorland. Last time we were there I saw an indoor surfing place I would love to try & the Brevard zoo has some kind of lazy river you can kayak through animal exhibits that sounds fun- I think it's 45min-1 hour outside of orlando.

We will be heading to FL the first full week of April :thumbsup2! We will be spending a couple of days in St. Augustine before heading to Davenport for 4 nights. We go to the Orlando area almost every year and have seen all the "big" things. This year we are really just trying to escape the MI winter and spend some time in the sun. What are your favorite places to visit that aren't major theme parks or beaches? Things like airboat tours, zoos, museums, animal encounters, dinner theaters... It will be me, DH, DS (13), DS (9), and DD (7). Can't wait!!

Tampa area - Lowery Park Zoo, great way to spend the day, MOSI this is a fun few hours, check ahead to see what exhibits will be there. There is a Children Museum in downtown Tampa but I can not think of the name of it right now.

On the way to Tampa off I-4 is Dinosaur World, I have not been there but my BFF's takes her grandchildren there all the time, and they love it.

Beach and Parks - Fort Desoto is a great place, there is a Fort to explore, rentals kayaks, canoes, bikes, plus beach of course, here it is not over crowded like Clearwater Beach except on a holiday weekend. They have a lot of picnic spots, with table, bathhouse with showers. Make sure to bring a large picnic lunch, not really any spot to buy food.
Johns Pass and the Treasure Island area, is nice, Gator's on the Pass is a great spot for lunch, the best grouper sandwich:thumbsup2

Also check out the site Florida on a Tank full, there are lots of places to go, this might be a great resource for you.

Mount Dora is another great walking around stop, while more for the shopping minded, they do have lots of great concert in the park, and a train ride.

Another really cool thing we did was jet ski on the lakes. Soooooomuch fun and the scenery was breathtaking. We booked through Makaio Watersports and chose Lakes Minneloa and Minnehaha in Clermont. Would totally recommend them.....great service, great price!

As a native we like to think outside the tourist traps sometimes. See the Real Florida.

Lakeridge Winery & Vineyards
Orange Co Regional History Center (Highwaymen, WDW history with Orlando, History of the area, cowboys, citrus, aviation & tourism)
Morse Museum and Park Avenue in Winter Park
Leu Gardens
Lake Kissimmee State Park (love the Cowboy camp there)
Orlando Science Center

Beaches - I also like Fort DeSoto on the Gulf and Cocoa has nice beaches on the Atlantic side. Maybe a day at Kennedy Space Center.
If you are willing to go to Tampa, Fla Acquirium, Cracker Country and Ybor City. See flaminco dancers at the Columbia Restaurant.

Kissimmee Go Karts (go karting and gator feeding)

Have you done the Go Karts? This looks interesting. 6 laps / 11 laps options... are the laps something that you do in one drive, all back to back? Or is it do one lap, stop, get out, get in line, then set up for a new lap?

Also is their mailing list worth it? Any real coupons come via it? I don't want to give them my email if it's just a junkmail thing, nor would I want further contact from them once we're done w our trip.

Have you done the Go Karts? This looks interesting. 6 laps / 11 laps options... are the laps something that you do in one drive, all back to back? Or is it do one lap, stop, get out, get in line, then set up for a new lap?

Also is their mailing list worth it? Any real coupons come via it? I don't want to give them my email if it's just a junkmail thing, nor would I want further contact from them once we're done w our trip.

We've done it twice, both times with Groupons. My guys have used both the regular karts and the indy karts (the latter you have to be 16 and have a drivers license).

For the laps, you do them all one right after another. After each lap, you pull into the "pit", they mark your wristband accordingly (or maybe they tear a little tag off it? I can't remember....but I know your laps were kept track of on the wristband), then you resume driving. You don't get out of your kart.

The packages we have purchased included go karting, gator feeding, and arcade tokens. Its a pretty rustic place, but the karts were in reasonable repair (I felt safe in them). The track is fairly long and generally well maintained for its age, shaped like a large figure 8, so there are some small hills and several turns. I am guessing the place probably hasn't changed a bit since the 70's. Don't expect modern! But it was good, old-fashioned family fun.

The staff are just "meh". Their customer service skills didn't knock my socks off, but neither were they rude or bad.

You can check out our most recent visit (August 2014) here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=52331017&#post52331017

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter